Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - traffic light / speedcamera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

traffic light / speedcamera
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: traffic light / speedcamera Reply with quote

Hi
does anybody know how to get a warning sign that shows traffic light that is also a speed cameras well, to put onto my tomtom
thanks
jac
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have that category of speed cam. We call it a redspeed. Unfortunately a company called Redspeed also makes speed cameras.
As an aside, how can you tell it's checking speed on green rather than just a standard red light cam?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the traffic lights at 53.506145, -2.423932, you'll see a tall "Monitron" type camera and the speed stripes through the junction, as opposed to the "old style" Redlight Cam at 53.511890, -2.391801.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean 'How can I tell...'. I meant 'How does the OP know...'
Unless you just happen to know which cam he is talking about.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that anybody who see a redspeed or any other traffic light camera should be wary whether its green or red its not a great problem on a overall trip.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redspeed cameras always used to be orange. Supreme Angel
I think anyone should be careful at traffic lights regardless of whether there is a cam there or not. But if you think about it, if you see the camera, you are travelling in the direction that most redlight jumpers are travelling so you are less likely to be hit by a redlight jumper. Laughing
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redspeed cameras are included in the PGPSW database in the fixed speed camera categories rather than the redlight category, so if you install the gatso files you will get warnings for redspeed cameras.

On the submission map they show up as a combined redlight and fixed speed camera. Go to the submission map and enter 12485 in the Camera ID box for an example.
jacann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: red light fixed speed cameras warning sign in dowload speed Reply with quote

as bmuskett says

On the submission map they show up as a combined redlight and fixed speed camera. Go to the submission map and enter 12485 in the Camera ID box for an example.[/quote]

But when you go into the downloand speed camera files to download onto your tomtom this sign is not there to download.. can anybody tell where it is
Jacann
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify what you are asking, do you mean an icon that displays on the map that indicates specifically a redspeed camera as distinct from others?
jacann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: redlight speed camera Reply with quote

M8TJT

Just to clarify what you are asking, do you mean an icon that displays on the map that indicates specifically a redspeed camera as distinct from others?

YES on the submission map it shows an icon for both(speed camera and traffic light camera) but when you download the file to put onto your tomtom there is no such icon and when you go past this type of camera it only shows it as a speed camera
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now pay attention Very Happy Very Happy
As bmusket said and you repeated.
They are grouped in with the ordinary fixed speed gatso/truvelo etc. cameras, so TT will not be able differentiate between Redspeed and Gatsos etc. They do not have a separate icon to identify them in a TT system as they are not identified separately (in the TT download, but are for other systems that are capable of making use of the data).
jacann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: red light/speed camera Reply with quote

I am not thick. I knows this but as these type of cameras are now poping up all over london you would think someone could add a symbol to the tt download to take this into account and to bring the system upto date.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider myself thick either, but I'm having trouble understanding why you would want this. The current system warns you that there is a speed camera at the traffic lights. Why would you want a second symbol at the lights to warn you that there is a red light camera there as well? The fact that there is a speed camera there means that there is also a red light camera. And isn't the traffic light itself warning enough anyway?

Or do you want to be sure that as well as not getting caught speeding through a set of green traffic lights, you won't get caught speeding through them on red?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacann wrote:
I am not thick. I knows this but as these type of cameras are now poping up all over london you would think someone could add a symbol to the tt download to take this into account and to bring the system upto date.
I was not trying to imply that you were thick, however you did ask pretty much exactly the same question twice after it was answered once.
It is not unreasonable that they are included in the fixed camera data, as that's what they are.

What is really required to satisfy your needs is to have a separate dataset including just the redspeed cams with it's associated icon. This is a completely different aspect to the topic than the one that you initially asked.

An icon could be added to the TT download, but there is no point as there is no differentiation between redspeed and bog standard fixed speed cameras in the database.

What you could do is to download a dataset that includes the differentiation between the various camera types, re-compile them as separate catrgories and create an icon for the new redspeed category.

Such a dataset exists in the downloadable stuff from PGPSW, it's the iGO based stuff. That data however does not include the camera 'name'.
Unless of course MaFt, in his usual magnanimous manner, will create one, as I'm sure that it can't be just you who would appreciate it. Very Happy C'mon MaFt, you know it makes sense.

@bmusket. I think the OP wants a single icon that indicates a redspeed camera, like perhaps a single icon with a camera and traffic lights combined.
jacann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: speedcamera/redlight camera Reply with quote

correct that is what I want because when the light is green it's a speed camera, and when it is red, its a traffic light camera therefore it needs a new
warning signs incorporating the two so you can that it is different from the Gatos, or the red light. can not be rocket science to do this

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: