Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GARMIN NUVI 2599LMT-D SAT NAV
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GARMIN NUVI 2599LMT-D SAT NAV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK gazza70, thank you anyway.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've placed an email enquiry with Garmin to see if the digital traffic units are the same as the FM traffic units in that the power lead is also the aerial so needs to be draped across the dash.

So far not had a reply (I'm on day 3 of the promised 3 day reply window today so wonder if they will reply).

One thing I don't like is an unsightly cable across the dash. Mine is neatly tucked away behind the dash so all you can see is about 4" of cable and only if you look behind the unit as I also have a fixed dash mount.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazza70 wrote:
Sorry Dabri I finished up buying the GARMIN NUVI 2598 LMT-D EU SAT NAV as the 2599 was new , halfords only had a display model ,
To be honest the only difference I could see was the colour of the unit the old one is silver compared to the new one being black ,

As far as I can tell that's about it! It claims to have 'updated software' but that could mean anything Wink

These models don't even appear on the UK Garmin website so I suspect these are simply Halfords/Currys etc 'specials'.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

These models don't even appear on the UK Garmin website so I suspect these are simply Halfords/Currys etc 'specials'.

Think you're right. The same applies to my Nüvi 2548LMT-D which I suspect was a one-off batch for Halfords and now obsolete, being superseded by the 2598LMT-D.

It was good value, with a store discount, cashback via Quidco and free delivery. Didn't have to leave the house!
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen halfords have the Garmin GTM 70 Digital Traffic Receiver for £99.99 it doesn't say if this is capatable with older models but to be honest for that price I would look at buying a new digital satnav
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta

Still waiting for Garmin to reply. I suspect the cable is still the antenna in the digital traffic models so I'll have to stick with Smartlink to be able to hide the power cable.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a digital receiver and use the small external antenna which allows me to hide the larger combined supply and antenna cable within the dashboard.
Just the Receiver and small antenna cable remaining visible.

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is many of the later nuvis have the receiver built into the GPS, so the only antenna is the power cable. Now logic says the antenna must be at the top so hiding the majority behind the dash shouldn't be an issue, but until you do it you can't be sure.

Garmins advice is not to coil, hide etc but that could just be them being over cautious.

Are you sure you have a digital receiver? The models ending in 8 and 9 are the digital ones, so did you buy your cable separately?
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I bought the receiver separately . It is a GTM70 and cost £49.99 from Amazon.
It works very well indeed and gives far more detail than the GTM36 it replaces.
I no longer regularl use the tomtom720 as having now got used to the Garmin I find it very easy to use.

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought the 2599 Halfords special. It's doing updates as I type.

I'll keep you posted how well it works (it's replacing a TomTom 730 as I wanted Digital traffic).

Alan
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Problem is many of the later nuvis have the receiver built into the GPS, so the only antenna is the power cable. Now logic says the antenna must be at the top so hiding the majority behind the dash shouldn't be an issue, but until you do it you can't be sure.

Garmins advice is not to coil, hide etc but that could just be them being over cautious.

Are you sure you have a digital receiver? The models ending in 8 and 9 are the digital ones, so did you buy your cable separately?

Expensive mistake if it doesn't work though. I'm comparing the setup to trying to run a radio with the aerial folded down. Again, the receiver is inside the radio but without an extended aerial ...
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but whatever the device the antenna needs to be able to receive the signal Wink

Have you thought (I'm sure you have) about running it along the top of the dash? If you did it where the dash meets the screen it would be fairly invisible?
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly where I run my external antenna - it is not in the field of view at all

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on mine it wouldn't as the dash meets the screen in view.

I'll see what my map reload does with Smartlink before I make a decision.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've had my 2599 for 24 hours now and been on one long trip (M60, M6, M5 and back - total of 288 miles). Here are my initial thoughts - mostly compared to my old TomTom 730.

I bought this because the analogue traffic on my 730 was very very intermittent and inaccurate. The advert for this said "FAST and ACCURATE".

And, yes, it appears to be true. It got a traffic signal within about 30 seconds of my entering the route and immediately told me of narrow lanes 81 miles away (but no delays). All the way there and back, the traffic delays it reported seemed to hold true - but there were no actual holdups so I can't comment on any re-routing opportunities.

I do love the fact that it alters the speed limit when it goes into an average speed camera area. I disabled the Garmin speed cameras and downloaded the ones from this site (and I've found one missing - I must remember to report it).

The display is fine. My 730 would display multiple traffic incidents AND all the other info - this one displays one traffic incident OR extra info - but I can live with that.

I like the fact that it says "turn left at the next traffic lights" and "Stay in the right two lanes" etc. Much easier than TT (maybe new TT does that as well).

It recalculates very very quickly.

So, so far - all is good.

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: