Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GARMIN NUVI 2599LMT-D SAT NAV
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GARMIN NUVI 2599LMT-D SAT NAV
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: GARMIN NUVI 2599LMT-D SAT NAV Reply with quote

I hope I haven't made a big mistake but I've just sold my new tomtom 820live due to the daily tomtom traffic server issues and I'm now looking to buy the new GARMIN NUVI 2599LMT-D SAT NAV
Does anyone know what these units are like and more to the point as I run around London does the digital traffic signal drop out and how accurate is the traffic info?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2508 LMT-D (same model line as yours just without BT)and it's great, really good traffic info. Never used it in London though so can't help there.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in London (West London near Heathrow to be precise) but I use the Smartlink traffic which is superb.

It is considerably more accurate than my built in unit TMC RDS traffic which is hopelessly out of date due to that only updating every quarter hour and then there would have been a delay from beacons to TM to radio station.

The Garmin traffic also covers all roads that Inrix users report issues on that Trafficmaster don't know exist.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen what model has the smart link and is there a charge for this service
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All but the bottom of the range units I think have Smartlink but check on the Garmin site to be certain. Mine is the 2597LMT

SmartLink has a one off Android App cost of about £15 but it's just a one off with no ongoing cost apart from your data allowance.
In London, as long as you have a mobile connection then you should have a traffic connection.

One thing to note though is that your mobile (smartphone) has to be connected to the Garmin via BlueTooth.

Therefore, if you have a car HFT system that also connects to your phone then you have a dilemma.
In my case I still have my old Nokia 6230i which I leave hidden in the car, permanently connected to a concealed power socket and that is connected to the car so I can still use it handsfree.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info kremmen , i will have to go down to my local halfords to find out if the 2599 has smartlink , have checked garmins website and they haven't got this unit listed or any info on it .
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D Sat Nav

The Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D Sat Nav is perfect for travelling around Europe and gives you hassle-free routes thanks to Digital Traffic. It has lots of other features such as Active Lane Guidance & photoReal junction views all on the 5” pinch & zoom display. It also comes with lifetime maps so your route will always be up-to-date and it identifies speed cameras & school zones as you drive.
Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D Sat Nav Extra Info

5” dual-orientation display
Preloaded with detailed maps of Western or Central Europe plus free lifetime map updates
Free Digital Traffic, the best traffic avoidance solution available from Garmin
Voice-activated navigation allows you to keep your hands on the wheel
Garmin Real Directions - guides like a friend using landmarks and traffic lights
Find new and popular restaurants, shops and more with Foursquare
Navigate complex interchanges with ease thanks to Active Lane guidance with photoReal Junction View
Bluetooth technology for hands-free calling
Send locations and addresses from your phone to your nüvi and access live services with the Smartphone Link app
Easily search addresses and millions of points of interest
Displays current street, speed, speed limit and arrival time
Easily find places Up Ahead, like food and fuel stations, without leaving the map
Direct Access simplifies driving to complex destinations, like shopping centres and airports
Speed and safety cameras alerts along the route
School zone alerts

Looks SmartLink compatible
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note if you buy the digital traffic version you don't need smart link for traffic, you'll get the same service through the traffic receiver in your nuvi. If you intend to use it for other features then that's different.
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everyone ,
Will be asking a few questions at halfords about this unit , I have been on garmins website and this model isn't listed , I can find the 2598 but not 2599
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll be fine.

If not post back Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went to halfords today and had a play with the new garmin,. all seemed very smooth and I was impressed , that was until the sales guy turned up and started telling me that garmin units are suffering from grey screen syndrome and he said that the digital traffic is poor , I asked if he could get me the power lead so we can take the demo one outside so I could see how bad it was , he made some bull sh*t excuse saying he wasn't allowed and then turned his attention on trying to sell me a new tomtom 50 .
He said that tomtom is the best on the market and they have just released new software that has added new features and has sorted out all the problems that tomtom units have been suffering from .
I just laughed and left empty handed
So it's back to the drawing board to do some more homework on garmin digital traffic before I part with my cash.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously TT are paying Halfords to push their units via higher commission Shocked

From reading posts here and elsewhere I can only find the grey screen issue with some 3xxx units. Also, my Smartlink traffic is superb and is bang up to date.

The TT 50 is one of the units listed as not allowing user 3rd party POI's like the cameras here so presumably TT are trying to push their own cameras via this restriction that are often complained about as being out of date.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be trying a different halfords next week end to see what they have to say, I think your right about tt paying halfords to push there units , while I was there they offered me the tt5000 for the online price of £189 instead of the shop price of £259 as for not being able to load 3rd party poi's this is another reason why I'm not interested in the new tt . I'm going to have to find a shop that does the 14day return policy if your not happy.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazza70, Did you buy a 2599 in the end? If so, any feedback would be welcome. My 2460 unit is occasionally freezing, so I am looking to replace it.
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dabri I finished up buying the GARMIN NUVI 2598 LMT-D EU SAT NAV as the 2599 was new , halfords only had a display model ,
To be honest the only difference I could see was the colour of the unit the old one is silver compared to the new one being black ,
I might be wrong but to me it seems both the 2598 & 2599 have all the same features ,
the best thing to do is go down to halfords or currys and have a play

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: