Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Pack from Garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Pack from Garmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metblackrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: POI Pack from Garmin Reply with quote

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/shop-by-accesories/digital-downloads/poi-s-extras/extra-poi-pack/prod142468.html

What is this? Has anyone bought it? What's included and why isn't it included with the maps!

Ta.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: POI Pack from Garmin Reply with quote

Metblackrat wrote:
What is this?
It's a bunch of 2 million extra POIs
Quote:
why isn't it included with the maps!
Because they can sell it at £8.49 Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming anyone actually buys it Laughing
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I've seen that. Can't imagine anyone buying it Confused
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this mean I will have two million little icons all over my map?

It is cluttered enough with the ones garmin make you display without choice. (no I can't turn them off as I need to display all of my custom POIs)

At least with TT you could select which POIs were displayed on the map. Despite many emails from myself to garmin on the subject, they still take the all or none approach.

I have noticed some of the pgpsw POIs are now very dated. City plumbing for example no longer exist, but their POIs do. Both Tesco & Screwfix have newer stores not listed in the POI.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:
I have noticed some of the pgpsw POIs are now very dated. City plumbing for example no longer exist, but their POIs do. Both Tesco & Screwfix have newer stores not listed in the POI.
Then it would be good, if you know the details, if you could correct/submit them for the benefit of all. Very Happy
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8, 'in the group', 'jolly fine business' ' H I ' and all that nonsense :o)

I'm ahead of you, have already submitted two screwfix counters not listed.

It would be great if the sat-nav had a push button on screen (like the take a screen shot button) that one could press whilst on the move, to record the location for updating the pgpsw POIs. This way I could update many more, including mobile plod speed traps, on my travels.

My old TT300 had such a button, a third party app, I seem to remember.

No doubt sussamb will now inform us of how it can be done........:o)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not that simple but if you're really keen there are 2 options I can think of ... Smile

Set your nuvi to take screen shots, that will place the button on your screen (like you suggested) and you could then take a screen shot every time you wish, with your vehicle icon given you the position.

Other option is to tap the vehicle icon, then Save
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be driving right past the nice police officer so of course can't be seen fannying around with the sat-nav.

Taking the snapshot is the best idea, just one poke of the screen, but I assume it does not cleverly also save the lat & long. As I normally don't know where on earth I am (thank goodness for sat-nav) and can never remember where I have been, trying to match a snapshot up to a place somewhere in the UK may be a little time consuming.

Similarly I'm sure there is an app for a smartphone, however even with a shortcut, one would still have to grab for the phone to unlock it before being able to poke the shortcut icon. Again not a good idea in front of a policeman. I'm sure it would not go down well when questioned, replying that I was not making a call but plotting his position to pass on to thousands of local motorists so they can in turn avoid his harassment of us :o)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure there is an app for a smartphone
There is. It's called CamerAlert and guess what, it's from those nice PGPSW people. Directional alerts and all. App is free, usual PGPSW subscriptions for data update apply. Click a button to register position and your heading to report cam.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: scewfix Reply with quote

Have just finished going through every single scewfix branch & checking if they are on the pgpsw POI list. Just under half were missing.

There may be a few errors in there & some might not be exactly spot on, but I have done my best. I'm sure SF used to supply a POI list for sat-navs, but it looks like they just supply the google app now.

Also added all of the London & south east Aldi branches, these are more difficult to check against pgpsw as they only allow a search by area not a full list of all stores.

Lidl supply a list of POIs for their stores, so not going to cross match with PGPSW.

Have emailed Tesco, requesting a POI list, or a complete list of their stores, detailing how useful it is for us 'dashboard diners' but got no response.

I did a lot of POI generation for work & sent them out requesting corrections & omissions were sent to me for updates. Needless to say no feedback what so ever. When speaking to a co-worker who I had to phone to find a particular location, when questioning him on why he had not fed back to me that it was missing from our POI list, his answer & attitude was 'well I know where it is'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: