Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice Command
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice Command
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Voice Command Reply with quote

I could be posting too early but I couldn't get "Voice Command" to work yesterday after my latest update to 2015.10 and the latest Serena voices.

I'll try again later.

Normally the unit was quite sensitive and it didn't need a raised voice or any slowing but I tried all manner yesterday - zilch Sad
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Metblackrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webupdater gave me two files for the voice recognition that needed updating that weren't shown in Express. Worth running that and see what shows up.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I posted too early. I followed the advice in the map update thread to use MyDashboard and that found that it had removed all the voice recognition files.

I'm still on Express 3.1.8.0 so that bug has been around for a while.

Very sloppy testing
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was fixed with 3.1.9 but seems it's back again Twisted Evil

Shouldn't happen but if you back up your files before any update you should be bomb proof Very Happy
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone not in the know, going to MyGarmin.com and looking for updates there will find English British Daniel voice which I find a much clearer alternative to Serena. British Emily can also be downloaded as a TTS voice (not Real Directions) but this is not available under Garmin Express.

Daniel has recently been upgraded to version 2.00 (as has Serena) and is also uses Garmin Real Directions (turn at traffic light, next right at petrol station etc..).

No idea why Garmin don't include this as a default voice in Nuvi, nor why Garmin Express can't split "English" into categories to reduce file size. It currently downloads English American, English Australian and English Indian voices when selecting the English Language option in the Device, Optional Updates, Language Files tab, which is circa 351mb!!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:

No idea why Garmin don't include this as a default voice in Nuvi, nor why Garmin Express can't split "English" into categories to reduce file size. It currently downloads English American, English Australian and English Indian voices when selecting the English Language option in the Device, Optional Updates, Language Files tab, which is circa 351mb!!

Agreed, that's why it's best to get voices via myDashboard as it does split it all down Wink
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
For anyone not in the know, going to MyGarmin.com and looking for updates there will find English British Daniel voice which I find a much clearer alternative to Serena.

Well spotted!

I thought it was weird that there was no male (TTS3) voice on the 3598. (I just tune female voices out as background noise Wink )
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I only selected UK English files to update but during the installation I spotted Dutch voice recognition files coming in as well as other languages.

Bit of a mess but I'm all up and running again.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh ... not seen that, you're obviously special Laughing
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon my unit is female. Never listens to any request properly Laughing

If I change from Serena to Daniel will he listen ?

I think it realised I had no voice recognition files and just put the whole lot back in. No big deal now as I have nearly 2Gb spare on the unit. Very Happy

One other thing. Once upon a time I used a car magnet mount for a Nokia phone and I needed to have the phone repaired twice due to it screwing up. The repairer asked a few questions on the second instance and advised against using strong magnets to mount the phone on the dash.
Having read the issues about the 3598's am I right in thinking theses units are held to the mount via a magnet mount?
My lowly 2597 is just the old fashioned clip mount and is fine with no grey blocks.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they have a mag mount but apparently it works OK Very Happy
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Confirm that the 3598 has a magnetic mount with built in speaker. The mount works fine. I was sceptical at first whether the magnet would be strong enough but it is more than strong enough. Never fallen off even when going over some very bumpy roads or large potholes and it does need a bit of force to take it off the mount as it "snaps" on when you place the Nuvi next to the mount.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not referring to the mag mount and keeping the unit on it but having a strong magnet near delicate electronics.

It was that powerful magnetic field that caused my old Nokia issues (twice).

in a nutshell - is it the mag mount units that are having the grey block/map redraw speed issues?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't recall users of the Advanced series (Nuvi 2XXX) having the same issues as the Nuvi 3XXX Prestige series. But I wouldn't see the mag mount causing this as it would be a constant problem for all users.

I've had a 3598 since they came out last year and have only seen two instances of grey screens in that time. Yes, you often get some grey blocks when the map redraw process is a bit slow but that's more a processor issue I guess and nothing which means you can't navigate.

As the 3598 is magnetic I would be careful putting it anywhere near a magnetic strip on a credit card, tube ticket, hotel key card etc.. as it is powerful.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also the mount is used for the audio as without that the volume on the 3598 is bad even at full setting

i had bad issues with the grey screens/blocks on two devices and reason why i returned them both, i should not expect to constantly see a grey band across the top part of the map nor grey blocks on the screen because the device cannot keep up with redrawing the map even at low speeds.

as said to garmin my N4 performed better using tomtom 3d maps, cameralert running and many other apps running and would expect better from a dedicated product that cost £300.

The 2598 I have now as a replacement may not have the premium build but at least it doesn't have the redraw issues.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: