Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Express 3.2.4.0
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Express 3.2.4.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Garmin Express 3.2.4.0 Reply with quote

Well I'm sure this latest release of the product is well and truly messed up and is making me now think of ditching Garmin all together because of the issues.

Got the device and backed it up and then got Express to update the device to the latest maps - on doing this it has removed all British voices and reverted to Dansk_Ida for voice, yet the text and keyboard language are British.

On attempting the voice command (even pressing the button) it reports 'Voice Command support is not available for British English'

I've copied the original voice files back onto the device, yet it still will not have it I'm still unable to use a feature of this device.

The original update had installed on the internal 8GB memory and the 4GB external card I purchased.

I then decided to use MapUpdater and that reports that there is not enough space to install the full european maps so not sure what Garmin Express had decided to install originally but not happy about this.

I've now inserted a 16GB card and running garmin express again to see what happens, but this is getting beyond a joke.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 8Gb card should be ample to update your maps. Once you've updated using the 16Gb card you should be able to copy the files onto the 8Gb one if you want to. As for VR see here https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B1df288e0-19f9-11e0-d39a-000000000000%7D

If you're still having issues use the clone method http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

I always update to a clone first Wink
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the issues is the english language download - it just constantly reports error downloading it - i've removed garmin express and going to retry installing and performing another install.

I noticed the software only downloads updates to the voice in use as well

again lost the voice commands after an install - and when attempting to re-download english language it fails

I can't understand why this is failing - I've even put in a 16GB memory card for it to use
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok think i've fixed it

went to mygarmin website and on the dashboard it said there were updates - got it to install these and voice commands are back

it's ridiculous I've had to that to get the device working properly
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this version of Express seems a bit buggy. Updated my clone ok though then just copied the files across.

That shouldn't be necessary though and Express should provide a seamless update. It has for me in the past but not this time, I'll be chasing the folks at Garmin and once I know more detail I'll post back.

Last edited by sussamb on Sat May 31, 2014 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2597 is set to British English and I can use the "Voice Command" perfectly OK.

I was told that 'Voice Command' only works with the original unit setup ala maps and locale ?

Perhaps your unit is not a proper UK version ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure - come from halfords but was working in uk voice before the update
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the correct voice it won't work, see this FAQ https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B1df288e0-19f9-11e0-d39a-000000000000%7D

I suspect while you had the correct map the correct voice either hadn't been downloaded or wasn't selected, but glad all well now,
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before update it was set to british serena and was still set to that afterwards, but the bit it had installed during the update was the voice recognition files which i got through the dashboard on my account, using the garmin communicator to install them.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK. That too would explain it. Guess Express is deleting those files also, not good.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this link:

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={18331ce0-4af6-11e3-f27b-000000000000}

The Nuvi max card size is 8Gb. I wonder if a larger card would cause an issue.

ie: It's found a card but then can't use it ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A card issue is always a possibility but I know folks who use 32Gb cards without issue. One way of checking if the card is being seen by the nuvi is by loading something to it (POI, route etc) and see if the nuvi sees it.

Incidentally it's another reason why I always use a cloned device. I know then that the map files are on the card and so if my nuvi doesn't see them I know it's a card issue. For those who missed my earlier mention of using a cloned device see the instructions here http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

To me it's a 'no brainer' since if something does go wrong in the update process your nuvi is still working and you also have full control over the changes being made on your satnav.

I keep (and make after every successful update) a cloned copy of my nuvi ... so it's ready for next time and also acts as a full back up should I need any files in the meantime.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i originally tried a 4GB card and that was nearly full with 1.5GB left on the internal memory - but wasn't sure what was causing the problem with the voice commands so tried with the 16gb card and had 11.5GB free, but had same problems

So it's not the map itself or the memory cards as they were both seen in the device without problems.

For best measure I will get hold of a 8GB card and use that for future
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuk!

Had to delete everything on my 4gb card, then was able to do the update yesterday.

Firstly I have lost my female English voice. The option has gone from the list of available voices. It burst into life with a horrible American female, I soon changed this to Australian, but the sound quality is not too good.

Next the maps, looks like garmin have got the under fives playgroup to colour in all of the countryside. Some parts of he screen are now bright green, others very dark and there are great long black smudges. I think they indicate where there are tree lines.

Have looked on garmin express, there is no option to load my original voice. There is an option to download 'English' in the 'updates for files not currently in use' section. Have no idea what this is, but garmin won't download it anyway.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the file you need. If Express won't download it the easiest way to get you up and running is to log into myGarmin, select the myDashboard tab click on Software Updates and scroll down to Optional Updates. select Voices and then British English. MyDashboard will install them without using Express.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: