Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trying to master reset 3598
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to master reset 3598
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Trying to master reset 3598 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to master reset the 3598 to take back to halfords (they have offered to replace same day) as Garmin have offered to RMA the device but want to supply a re-conditioned unit (can take upto 2 weeks) which I'm not happy about.

I've followed the instructions here

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B19d92df0-6f4b-11e2-65d0-000000000000%7D

but don't get option to reset

if i plug device into computer and just remove saved poi and favourites will that be enough?

Last edited by walkerx on Fri May 16, 2014 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trying to delete all your private stuff delete any .gpx file in the GPX folder and ensure you've deleted any Trips. You'll also need to clear things like history.

The link you've posted isn't for your model of nuvi. You might prefer to try this:

To perform a master reset on a nuvi 3400, 3500, 3507, 3508, or 3700 series device hold the device horizontally and follow the steps below:

1.Start with the device turned off and unplugged from power
2.Power on the device
3.When the first copyright screen appears press and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
4.Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears
5.Touch Yes
The device will now be reset. Follow the on-screen prompts then place the device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

The nuvi 3400, 3500, and 3700 series devices can also be reset using a special screen. To master reset using this second method:

1.Turn the nuvi on
2.Touch View Map
3.Touch the data field that displays speed
4.Touch and hold your finger on the center of the speedometer until the screen changes (about six seconds)
5.Touch Clear all user data
6.Touch Yes to confirm
The device will now be reset. Follow the on-screen prompts then place the device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi had tried the master reset using both ways (the way i linked and yours) and it still did not give me the option to reset. The info on Garmin site for the 3598 didn't actually provide an answer on how to reset

But the following worked though

1.Turn the nuvi on
2.Touch View Map
3.Touch the data field that displays speed
4.Touch and hold your finger on the center of the speedometer until the screen changes (about six seconds)
5.Touch Clear all user data
6.Touch Yes to confirm
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Very Happy

Hope your new one works correctly. I've had Garmins for years and never had a nuvi fail.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's only the grey issue problem otherwise the unit is brilliant - I had 3 TomTom's fail and one of the reason why I won't really buy them again.

My 2390 was brilliant, but the cost of keeping it updated worked out more than just buying a new device
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be good to know how you get on. There was a hint somewhere, can't find it now, that later models may have had different hardware, whether this was 'gray screen' related I'm unclear.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Halfords - they rung Garmin was on hold for 30 minutes and when got through were supplied an RMA without question, only thing they didn't take serial of replacement device so hope can move the camera database over

Halfords were brilliant in sorting this out
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - Unless your 3598 is more than a year old (doubtful as it was released April/May 2013 - unless you were a very early adopter) then Halfords should ring up Garmin, get an RMA number and do an exchange for a brand new / factory fresh version, not a reconditioned / refurbed one.

You should leave the shop with the unit in your hand. Halfords are brilliant in this regard in my experience, but make sure you aren't fobbed off with a refurb unit.

The hardware board should show Version SA3, early versions were SA1 - not sure what difference it makes.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
Hmmm - Unless your 3598 is more than a year old (doubtful as it was released April/May 2013 - unless you were a very early adopter) then Halfords should ring up Garmin, get an RMA number and do an exchange for a brand new / factory fresh version, not a reconditioned / refurbed one.

You should leave the shop with the unit in your hand. Halfords are brilliant in this regard in my experience, but make sure you aren't fobbed off with a refurb unit.

The hardware board should show Version SA3, early versions were SA1 - not sure what difference it makes.

Purchased unit in January 2014 (4 months old) - have been in touch we Garmin a few times regarding it, they either ignored emails or when reply take weeks to respond - told them would go trading standards as getting nowhere and next thing they offered reimbursement but would supply a newly over-hauled unit (refurbished) which I wasn't going to accept and if they swapped it could take a few weeks to get replacement - called Halfords they said would swap in store for new and not to accept reconditioned from Garmin - took to Halfords and they swapped it for brand new after getting RMA from Garmin.

My original device was a S1, I will check the version on new one later
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair I know many have had refurbs on exchange or even purchased new. They still come with the full waranty and look brand new, but good for Halfords.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good - Sorry I read in the first post you had been offered a refurb. Halfords are first class at swapping out for a brand new unit - they often give you a new receipt as well which is handy ;-)

I think the current garmin 3598 have serial numbers beginning 39Q0012XXX - at least that's the batch I have.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my original was a SA1 with serial batch 39Q004xxx and my replacement is 39Q015xxx and is an SA3

tested it and had few grey patches but not as bad as my original device but will see how it goes

@sussamb if the device was a lot older then fair enough, but it's only coming to 4 months and with 2 months of them chasing Garmin to sort and when paying premium price I don't expect to have to receive a refurb unit within that time.

And if Garmin are selling refurbs as brand new without any indication they are refurbs then I would expect they are breaking SOGA.

Just now have to see if Garmin will switch the Speed Camera database over to the replacement

Also seems I'm going to have to purchase a memory card as no space on the device so the latest update won't even go on unless I trim it - my original 3598 had an extra memory card
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:

And if Garmin are selling refurbs as brand new without any indication they are refurbs then I would expect they are breaking SOGA.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear ... folks buy refurbs as new for them knowing they're refurbs. They're sold by Garmin as refurbs with a full warranty but are cheaper.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
walkerx wrote:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear ... folks buy refurbs as new for them knowing they're refurbs. They're sold by Garmin as refurbs with a full warranty but are cheaper.

no worries - yeh that different

got the map installed - had to tell it to remove some languages - hopefully should be able to get poi back on it

but it's telling me to install map again
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try deleting it from Express then connect new GPS to PC and reassociate it. It should then read it correctly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: