Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 4.30 Firmware
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

4.30 Firmware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: 4.30 Firmware Reply with quote

My 2597 got the 4.30 firmware yesterday so it's being rolled out.

Also a couple of updated language files.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my 2598 updated today as well.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No grey screen so far, but will wait for bad weather, which is when the problem seems worse.

Still no TT style usability & it still says 'drive to start of route' without telling me how to get there! (the point of sat-nav is it not?)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the start where you are Very Happy
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but I don't know where I am, that is the point of sat-nav :o)

Today, travelling along the main road & it bends to the right, with a very small single track road straight on. Now garmin expected me to drive straight off the main road onto the little single track road, however it thinks I am clairvoyant, thus does not give any instruction to leave the main road. Needless to say I stayed on the main road, due to no garmin instruction to do otherwise & ended up wrong. Never had this problem with TT. I cannot believe how poor the routing is on garmin, compared to TT.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd report that as a map error, I've never not been told to take a side turning. Can you let me know where it is so I can check it then I'll report it also.

BTW You are where your satnav says you are Wink. You can tap the vehicle icon and it'll let you know your position and set it as a favourite should you wish.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:
still says 'drive to start of route' without telling me how to get there!

This is still present and you are right, is absolutely a terrible software error and while more often than not, does not cause problems (ie starting off on someones long drive, or an unknown housing estate drive) but other times can cause you to drive off in the wrong direction completely

The other main issue for me is "Exit left and take the roundabout". I know I have to take the roundabout (there is no other option) but it should say "and take the n turn at at thr roundabout" so I can position my self in the correct lane)

Other than that, with the new update, latest maps, fastest routes selected, I get almost identical routes most of the time to my TomTom Go 6000 - which is a first since the TomTom has ALWAYS been better at route choice

The Garmins ETA is still not quite there with TomToms

Digital Traffic is better than Connected Traffic on Garmin (which I also have, running a 3598D), in terms of updates, detail and accuracy - and I would say - maybe - now beats my TomTom (although I am constantly swopping between the two to compare on different days!)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
wibbley wrote:

This is still present and you are right, is absolutely a terrible software error and while more often than not, does not cause problems (ie starting off on someones long drive, or an unknown housing estate drive) but other times can cause you to drive off in the wrong direction completely

The other main issue for me is "Exit left and take the roundabout". I know I have to take the roundabout (there is no other option) but it should say "and take the n turn at at thr roundabout" so I can position my self in the correct lane)

I don't quite get the issue over 'drive to start of route' ... why not simply pick the start where you are? Even if you don't and have selected an already saved trip you're still directed to the start of the trip. Under what circumstances then are you getting a 'drive to start of route' message?

Again I've not seen the issue you describe at a roundabout ... my Garmins always have said which exit to take, along with an icon top left Confused
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
xtraseller wrote:
wibbley wrote:

I don't quite get the issue over 'drive to start of route' ... why not simply pick the start where you are? Even if you don't and have selected an already saved trip you're still directed to the start of the trip. Under what circumstances then are you getting a 'drive to start of route' message?

Again I've not seen the issue you describe at a roundabout ... my Garmins always have said which exit to take, along with an icon top left Confused

I get this on my 3598 - it tells me to drive to start of route, even though I am at the start of the route. I tell the device to go from my home to my work and it displays the route with image of car at the beginning of route, but still says it.

I also notice on the odd occasion it takes a while to link onto the satellites and this is even after putting the device in the same location on windscreen mount from where i took it off the night before.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garmin is just a bit naff at routing compared to the TT.

For example, I drive to a location, stop exactly where garmin says 'you have reached your destination' and turn off garmin.

I then go about my business, return to the car in the same location, turn on garmin, which correctly shows my direction of last travel and my location.

I am in the middle of a maze of little back street roads that I am not familiar with. I then select my next destination on the garmin. Now TT will route me from this exact spot, remembering my last direction of travel. So it may request I do a u turn or guide me through the back streets back onto the main road.

garmin however says 'drive to start of route' and looking at the garmin screen, it will quite often show the pink line starting behind me and my little blue car icon pointing forward, in totally the opposite direction thus garmin knows full well I am not facing the direction it wants me to take. Instead it expects me to know these local streets and which roads to take to get to the start of the route. This has even happened in a one way street, so no way of doing a u turn.

On another occasion I was parked just in front of a cross roads, garmin had told me to 'drive to start of the route' which was behind me. So do I turn left or right at these crossroads? Of course I turned left, which then did not allow me to do another left to get onto the route that was behind me. TT would have routed me from this exact location.

It may sound 'a minor issue' but this happens to me numerous times a day, as I use sat-nav all day every day.

I have also noticed that when selecting 'go home' it does not give the option of different routes, it just plots one and off you go.

The 3598 is nearly very good. They just need to nick the good bits from TT that it is missing; And I suppose TT need to put back on the good bits that they have taken off.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gps knows where you are but - until you start to move it has no idea which way you are facing. So it cannot give you cogent instructions until you start. This is made worse if in avoidances you have banned u-turns. I guess that TT may ignore that and correct it if you set off in the wrong direction.
You do have the route marked on your screen and a glance around you might help you to decide the right initial direction.
Satnavs are a guide and not a complete substitute for your other senses - IMHO
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:

Satnavs are a guide and not a complete substitute for your other senses - IMHO

Very true Wink
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wording on my built in SatNav is 'Proceed to the highlighted route'.

I'm wondering whether this similar info is telling you that your currently not being located on a known highway and you need to get to one so it can direct you accordingly ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
The wording on my built in SatNav is 'Proceed to the highlighted route'.

I'm wondering whether this similar info is telling you that your currently not being located on a known highway and you need to get to one so it can direct you accordingly ?

Mine is similar - I think it is because it does not know your direction - and the 20m accuracy may mean that you appear to be off road.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided you are 'close to' a road the nuvi will 'snap' your position onto the road, as it tends to assume you're on one. How far that 'snap' extends I have no idea.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: