Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - replacement advice for tom tom 1005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

replacement advice for tom tom 1005
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mabozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: replacement advice for tom tom 1005 Reply with quote

Hi guys
My (not so old) 1005 is I feel about to die on me soon so need advice for replacing. Have read with dismay the review of the 6000 not supporting third party poi...is that still the case? If so what is the newest model that does support them? Also the google search thing is a must (I noticed after a software update the google search became hopeless whereas before doing the update it was very good..am hoping it was just my device at fault?) I like the idea of lifetime maps and traffic and MUST have street level Europe maps at a par or better than my 1005.
Thanks for any advice.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1005 is the latest to be supporting 3rd party POIs, so give it some pills to keep it going.

Google Search is gone forever and is replaced by TomTom's own search, Places. No, your unit is not at fault, it's just as bad on any other model.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mabozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh..thats a pity..hopefully TT will see sense with the newer ones then. Dont want to have to move away from tom tom but if they dont get a grip by the time my 1005 dies then I will be off...thanks for the quick reply
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, why do you think it's close to dying?

It might benefit from some software or hardware TLC....
Mabozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery has all but gone turns off immediately when off power and it constantly dims then brightens with "charging battery" on the screen...the live traffic and other live services works only rarely have the rotating circle most of the time and after a couple of hours gets very slow..stalling and have to reboot every few hours of use...voices work when it feels like it...programming a route is painfully slow...cant update software any more as now when I connect to the laptop it now does nothing...and almost every time I cross a border in europe it crashes and reboots itself..but its done this almost since I got it...spoke to TT live help who think it has issues getting a seamless connection for the live services providers between countries (oddly that prob has improved as more other probs arise Laughing Out Loud) But apart from all that........ Laughing Out Loud
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I can see why you're not ENTIRELY confident about it's life expectancy Laughing

I guess you know though that replacement batteries are available from places like eBay if you're happy with opening up the case yourself and doing some slightly delicate surgery.

I've found my GO1005's (2 of 'em) which USED to connect fine to my desktop PC, got worse and worse at connecting as newer and newer versions of MyTomTom got released.
However when I finally couldn't get them to connect at all, I gave up and installed the latest version of MyTomTom/MyDrive on an equally aged laptop and they both connect straight away!

The slowness and crashing may be improved by a reinstall of software and general clean up using the "emergency software recovery" technique I've described HERE.
Mabozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy... worth giving a try.. am not too bothered about battery as i always have it on charge anyway.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabozza wrote:
... and it constantly dims then brightens with "charging battery" on the screen...

Mine did this whilst I was powering it AND a phone charger through one of those "bullet" twin USB ports. despite the port saying it was man enough to charge said two items, clearly it was being overloaded and constantly cutting and resetting the power to the tomtom, hence the screen message.

Disconnect the phone and only run the Tomtom the problem goes away.
Mabozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Camaro, but, i use the cigarette lighter adaptor and the TT is the only thing running from the socket, tried it on a USB power outlet to see if the adaptor was faulty but got the same.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabozza wrote:
Thanks Andy... worth giving a try.. am not too bothered about battery as i always have it on charge anyway.

That's fine up to a certain point... Eventually though, the battery can get so poor that it puts too much of a load on the charger and prevents enough power getting to the rest of the system. That might be tha cause of your screen brightness variations.

(I've got a theory that a knackered battery affects LIVE Services reception too).
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I think it is more than a theory about a weak battery affecting LIVE traffic reception.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I can believe that regarding my GO550 Live, but what about battery condition in my built in thing?

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't built-in devices still have batteries, Dennis?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not the faintest idea, David. I suppose I just assumed the thing runs (after its own fashion) off the battery in the van. Maybe with a thingy to steady the voltage or something. I just assumed my Live connection is down to it being a totally useless, rubbish, you-name-it device!

spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want a new tomtom but it looks like each time a new one comes out they take away anything that used to make tomtoms good.

do you think they will ever bring back 3rd party POIS

they most of blocked they as the tomtom data base for cams is so bad they cant be selling the subs for them so the only way to get it was to block poi which is so bad

any one have a list of what they have taken away from us over the years

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: