Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2598 - some questions.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2598 - some questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: 2598 - some questions. Reply with quote

I have seen somewhere two things about the 2500 series and POI's
a) That Custom POI's now have to be on the unit and not on a supplemental card.
b) That you cannot add a symbol to a POI?

I cannot believe either of these. POI loader has always had the option on my 760 of loading to unit or card and no symbol implies the speedcams are not marked on the map.

I also understand that these units do not support mp3 files. Does that mean that speed alerts need wav files and are ogg files supported?

I also believe that the TTS files have changed to TTS3 files. Is there a customisation program (TTS voice editor) that works with TTS3 files?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2597 and my POI's have associated symbols.

Not tried them on a card though. I just load them straight onto the device.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIs work from the card too and do have symbols associated with them. No mp3 player though but there are ways to have voice files with speed cameras, not exactly sure how as I never bother.

No voice editor as far as I know for TTS3 voices.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can guess that a POI with no 'speed' in the filename and an associated identically named wav file will work OK via POILoader
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hints re POI's. Now I have a further problem which does nor seem to be covered in the manual nor, as far as I can see, on this site.

I have recently downloaded ACSI Camping Card POI's direct from the ACSI site. It puts a gpx file directly onto the main Garmin memory. However, they showed up in Custom POI's as expected.
When I downloaded Aires coordinates that gave me a gpx file which I manually copied into a gpx folder on my microSD card. BIG MISTAKE! As soon as I switched on the Garmin normally it did the trick of assuming that they were favourites and needed to be absorbed into current.gpx!

I removed the gpx file and also deleted current.gpx, replacing it with my backup. The Aires were still there and the only way that I found to get rid of them was a master reset - switch off with a LONG press on the power button and then switch on keeping finger on bottom right of screen for about 20 seconds. Oddly that did not give me a full reset of favourites but took me back to the favourites that I had loaded when the machine was new! Maybe I should have ensured that the unit was TOTALLY off before or maybe after I replaced current.gpx with my previuos file.

However this raises two questions:

1: Where do I put a gpx file on the card so that it shows up in Custom POPI's and not Favourites?

2: How do I delete a Favourite? I tried following the manual instruction - Where To? - Saved - Menu symbol - Delete Saved Places -
but failed at the first hurdle by not finding "Saved" after "Where To".

Any ideas gratefully received!

Obviously I can solve the gpx file problem by using POI loader from csv files - or maybe I should have copied the Aires in a gpi format instead of gpx - both were available. Doh! Rolling Eyes

EDIT: WIERD - I have just played about again and gone into favourites - this time I have found the option to edit or delete any one or all but NOT selecetd favourites as implied by the manual. I am sure that was not available by one of the "favourites" that had got in form Aires.gpx!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpx files in the GPX folder will be merged into favourites, POIs should be in .gpi format and placed in the POI folder.

Deleteing favourites ... You should be able to select Where To then Favourites. Now hit the 3 bar icon top left. You should get the option to Delete Favourites. Tap it. Now you can 'Select All' or tick the favourites you wish to delete.

Note in the US Favourites are called Saved Places, hence the confusion in the manual.

Also note replacing/deleteing current.gpx does nothing. It is simply a one way copy of what the nuvi has stored in inaccessible memory. You can edit/delete it as much as you want, it won't change a thing. You can only edit/delete favourites through the nuvi itself.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
gpx files in the GPX folder will be merged into favourites, POIs should be in .gpi format and placed in the POI folder.

Deleteing favourites ... You should be able to select Where To then Favourites. Now hit the 3 bar icon top left. You should get the option to Delete Favourites. Tap it. Now you can 'Select All' or tick the favourites you wish to delete.

Note in the US Favourites are called Saved Places, hence the confusion in the manual.

Also note replacing/deleteing current.gpx does nothing. It is simply a one way copy of what the nuvi has stored in inaccessible memory. You can edit/delete it as much as you want, it won't change a thing. You can only edit/delete favourites through the nuvi itself.

Thanks for explaining the background. I had misinterpreted where my ACSI card POI's had gone. They are actually a gpi file (with a hex filename) sitting in the gpi folder in main storage, not the gpx file that I had found in the gpx folder under Garmin in main storage. Thsi time I will copy the gpi Aires file into a POI folder on the SD card.
Also, the fact that Favourites are Saved Places in the US explains themanula discrepancy. As my edit said I found, after I had done a cold restore and reboot that I had lost the Aires gpx favourites but I am still flummoxed that while they were in current.gpx I could not delete them. Also the manual does imply that Favourites can be deleted selectively as a group rather than having to delete individually nor ALL.

Also, I imagine that the restore deleted the hidden favourites but not current.gpx (which by then was my backup) which explains how my backed up favourites re-appeared.

I wonder how the POI's will be organised if I put Aires.gpi into the POI folder on the card and also have ACSI.gpi in the same folder? If csv files are in a folder tree then the POI's are grouped in the same structure with options to see all or particular categories - or at least that was what happened on nuvi 66x and 76x units.

Hey - Ho

Thanks again - Very Happy
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:

Obviously I can solve the gpx file problem by using POI loader from csv files - or maybe I should have copied the Aires in a gpi format instead of gpx - both were available. Doh! Rolling Eyes

You do know that POI Loader reads GPX files, as well as the olde-worlde CSV variety?...

Of course, if a pre-built .GPI file is available, that would be your easiest solution. You would only really need to tackle the GPX file if you wanted to make some changes or additions to it.

He also wrote:

I wonder how the POI's will be organised if I put Aires.gpi into the POI folder on the card and also have ACSI.gpi in the same folder? If csv files are in a folder tree then the POI's are grouped in the same structure with options to see all or particular categories - or at least that was what happened on nuvi 66x and 76x units.

The structure of an individual .GPI file is always preserved, but the order in which each group of POIs appear in the list, seems to be governed by which .GPI file the unit 'sees' first. I've never investigated the different ordering triggered by SD card POIs (vs POI on the unit), but if you had (say) the following files:-
Code:

SomeFile.gpi, Another.gpi

The pois from Another.gpi would normally appear first (because of the alphabetic order in which the files are usually seen). However, Garmin units seem to always add new files to the end of existing lists - so if you put Somefile.GPI on (and reboot), then add Another.gpi later, the order would be reversed.
This ordering is remembered, so that updating versions of the same files doesn't change it.

(Or at least, that's the behaviour I've observed so far, on the units I've had access to.)

͕
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
inspiredron wrote:

You do know that POI Loader reads GPX files, as well as the olde-worlde CSV variety?...

Of course, if a pre-built .GPI file is available, that would be your easiest solution. You would only really need to tackle the GPX file if you wanted to make some changes or additions to it.

He also wrote:

The structure of an individual .GPI file is always preserved, but the order in which each group of POIs appear in the list, seems to be governed by which .GPI file the unit 'sees' first. I've never investigated the different ordering triggered by SD card POIs (vs POI on the unit), but if you had (say) the following files:-
Code:

SomeFile.gpi, Another.gpi

The pois from Another.gpi would normally appear first (because of the alphabetic order in which the files are usually seen). However, Garmin units seem to always add new files to the end of existing lists - so if you put Somefile.GPI on (and reboot), then add Another.gpi later, the order would be reversed.
This ordering is remembered, so that updating versions of the same files doesn't change it.

(Or at least, that's the behaviour I've observed so far, on the units I've had access to.)

͕

Thanks, Phil
I had not realised that POIloader accepts gpx files. My initial muddle was caused by the ACSI CARD POI download which is only available as a gpi and is loaded direct from the ACSI website using gzrmin express onto the device as a gpi with a strange hexadecimal filename. It does get listed in custom poi's with a meaningful title, however. I had seen a file in the gpx folder called something like "loaded by garmin express.gpx". Armed with that I copied a different gpx file into a gpx folder that I created on the card. That immediately gave me around 5000 favourites which I did not seem able to delete, hence the cold restore. Once I copied the alternative format gpi file onto the card the points were shown up as "My Points" within Custom POI's.
I would like to amalgamate ACSI CARD.gpi with other POI's AND use a different map symbol but have not yet found a way to get the gpi back to csv plus bmp. Gpsbabel gives an error of unexpected file end and terminates. However I am reasonably happy now that I can see that multiple gpi files within a POI folder are amalgamated at the top level.
I, too, had noticed with my 660 and 760 that a newly added POI.gpi goes to the top of the list in Custom Poi.. I have always had UKpoi.gpi and EUpoi.gpi (miles and km) and the top lot has always been the last loaded.
Thanks for the info.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a look in the Garmin dedicated area here WalkerX and I developed a program to convert the PGPSW CSV files to GPX. The app also allows some further fine tuning.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting discovery.
i am now in Spain hsving successfully negotiated France and some interesting motorway junctions around Madrid where lane guidance was incredibly useful. No problems with direction information being given late - to me it is a very good system which provides timely information exactly when I neec it.
HOWEVER! In my hurry just before our departure I installed speed camera POI's from another sjte where I have long tefm access and because there were more than 32 categories I divided the into two directories Sppeedcams an Speedcams2. I had forgotten that the use of the "2" causds Garmin go interpret the speedcams as 2kph cameras and give alerts accordingly. What is unexpected is that the "2" also overrides the map generated speed limit and appears as a 2mph speed limit on the screen. It also causes a speed alert at 2mph as well as the speed cameda bong.
Anyone else noticed this?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: