Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looking to switch from tomtom to garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to switch from tomtom to garmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Looking to switch from tomtom to garmin Reply with quote

Looking at a nuvi 2548 LMT with lifetime maps and traffic and have a few questions please.
1. As a rep I have a poi category on my tomtom of my 125+ customers. Is there a way of getting this onto the garmin without having to re-input it all again?
2. The tomtom hd traffic was all built into the unit but I understand the garmin has a separate antenna, is this like a long messy cable that has to be draped in the windscreen somewhere?
3. Is garmins traffic info perceived to be any worse or better than tomtom's?
4. Would this model of satnav compare favourably with my present tomtom XL LIVE IQ routes model?

Many thanks for any advice / info you can supply.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No idea. What format are they in? There are conversion tools here so I guess it's possible http://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php
2. The 25x8 series have the receiver built into the GPS.
3. Not compared them but my 2508s traffic has been spot on in the 6 months that I've had it.
4. Never had a TT so no idea.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
1. No idea. What format are they in? There are conversion tools here so I guess it's possible http://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php
2. The 25x8 series have the receiver built into the GPS.
3. Not compared them but my 2508s traffic has been spot on in the 6 months that I've had it.
4. Never had a TT so no idea.

Thanks for reply.
Would be grateful to hear from someone who has taken the leap from tomtom to garmin though.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interested in the replies as I too am looking to jump ship.
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a recently jumped and I have bought a Garmin 2547LM.
It has a 5 inch screen and lifetime map updates.
It does not have Bluetooth or an mp3 player or fm output, but it does work very well as a satnav.
It took a bit of getting used to but I do now trust it.
I do use the pgpsw camera database and have learned, with a lot of help from members here, how to load the database using poi edit.
Hope this helps
ps must amend the signature

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm... I crossed to the dark side, moving from an old TT go to a new shiny top of the range 3598.

There is another post on here where I recently compared the two, would be best to hunt that out,

quickly though...

I use custom POIs every day for work. I have loads of them. It is quite easy to convert from a TT ov2 file to a csv file for garmin. It is best however if you have the original data in a csv or excel spreadsheet to start with. there are loads of conversion tools around. Also the file name should not contain numbers. It took me ages to find this gem. (it messes up the warn when near)

garmin handles POIs in a really weird way compared to TT. You have to take the POI file in the correct format & use garmins POI manager software to stuff it onto the sat nav. On mine I can add custom POI categories individually. It is quite straight forward & I guess the theory is that you do not need to use windows file manager to put the POIs on the sat nav like TT.

However, you cannot easily delete individual POI categories like on TT. It is an all or none approach. If you have loaded the POI files individually rather than bulk loaded then you can poke about on the sat nav using windows file manager, find the POI file & delete it.

Unlike TT, where you can set the POIs to display or not on the map, all custom POIs (and the ones mr garmin makes you display with no choice) you only have the choice of display all or display no custom POIs. The ones mr garmin decides you must have displayed cannot be turned off.

On TT you can set up the 'warn when near' for each custom POI category. On garmin you have to set this when loading them on & cannot change this without deleting & re-installing that particular category. This is a right pain with the pgpsw speed cams, I want more notice for a 70mph or mobile speed trap compared to a 30mph or redlight. Luckily Kremmin has written a program which sets all of this up for you.

TT orders the custom POIs in most used order. Ideal for me as I use a few of them all day every day, so they are near the top of the list. Garmin however does them alphabetically then in the order they were loaded (weird) so if you use the pgpsw speed cams, you have to wade through a big long list of them to get to a POI category that you may use very often.

I have found that if I load my POIs first & then the pgpsw cam files, they stay at the bottom. This is fine till I want to add new custom POIs.....
I have also had to rename my most used POIs with A_ poi B_poi to get them to the top of the list.

TT really had a far better idea of how to handle POIs, until of course they stopped users being able to load their own POIs of course, hence my jump to garmin.

If TT would put back the functionality of the earlier models, like my Go, onto the new models, 6000 for example, I would jump straight back.

To balance it up a bit, garmin lane assist is fantastic (most of the time) a pop up of the road layout & big pink arrows showing what lane you should be in. Went round the wandsworth 1 way system, it was a god-send. However today, screaming up the A21 towards the M25 junction, lane assist was displaying far too early & had I not known the junction, could have easily taken the A21 slip road rather than the intended M25.
Digital traffic is first class, seems very accurate .

From the TT web site...
"Every TomTom navigation device comes with thousands of POIs (Points of Interest) pre-installed and you can easily install more.

Note: This feature is not available on the following devices: GO 400, GO 500, GO 600, GO 5000, GO 6000."

So other than the basic range, no TTs now allow user POIs.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks wibbley for such a detailed reply.
The poi process seems complicated and is what is putting me off the garmin a little.
I need to be able to put all my customers locations into a sat nav as it's used all day every day.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually quite simple once you try it a few times Wink
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't load on POI's apart from the cameras so I'm sort of part guessing here from my experiences with sub folders.

With Garmin POI Loader it scans and loads POI's from the source folder you point POI Loader to.

And, if you accidentally have other .csv or applicable Garmin known files in that folder, or subfolder (subfolder being the important bit) it will suck them in at the same time.

Therefore if you have your customer POI's in a sub folder then each time you update the cameras it should process these other POI's as well ?

The only issue I can guess at is that you may need to perform a double hit with POILoader by using the remove all option before reloading or you could get double customer POI's ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's even easier than that. Provided you don't accept the generic name POI Loader assigns then you can name any upload of POIs as you wish. POI loader won't alter those when you next use it.

My speed cameras are named speed as an example. Each time I update them I use the same name, no duplicates.

If you do that they will appear as a separate POI category that you can then search etc on your nuvi.

You can do the same with any POIs you load, or you can load all your POIs in one hit should you so wish.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: