Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused - VIA and MyDrive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused - VIA and MyDrive
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Confused Reply with quote

Thanks John, that did the trick. Very Happy
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even Richard! Very Happy

What's happing is that the TomTom can only cope with zip files containing very specific file types, any others inside and it just baulks.

The standard PGPSW download ("TomTom OV2") includes some licence text files and help files which the unit doesn't like, so MaFt made a special one ("TomTom (MyTomTom Zip)") with JUST the speed cam data, icons and audio files present.

I suppose MaFt should re-name it to "TomTom (MyDrive Zip version)" now, since TomTom have changed the name of their utility loader program.
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Confused Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry Richard.
ps. I told you I was confused. Embarassed
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
wyattnorm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a confusing situation! Most of what I read is double dutch to me. All I wanted when I bought my Via 135 was to be able to plug it in and go. But no, the PC does not see the device. I do not have the ability to understand all the different file types and to be able to move them around.

Surely in this day and age, buying a gadget like this satnav, it should work out of the box. I do not work in I T, I do not have a willing 5 year old next door who would sort it out in 2 minutes.

I have tried it through Firefox and Internet Explorer and nothing works.

I will have to wait until a more knowledgeable person comes along and sorts it out.

OR.....I will just return it and try a Garmin, although I have no idea whether that will work any better.

I feel better for getting it off my chest.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyattnorm... can I try to address a few of your points?

Those who know me are aware that I'm a long-term TomTom user, but am certainly no apologist for many of their recent business decisions. However, I think you are being a LITTLE unfair to them on several counts.

Firstly, your TomTom DOES work straight out of the box, as designed.

TT were forced (after a big court case with Microsoft) to stop using various parts of what we all see as the 'standard' PC file system/file transfer methods. At the same time they were getting hammered by pirates who were hacking and stealing their maps (which is a major source of their income as just about everyone who needs the hardware has already got it!).

Therefore they needed to bring in a new connectivity method, so newer TomToms like yours connect to the PC as a "Network Adapter" rather than as a "mass storage device". So, unfortunately, you can't just look at EVERY file on the unit using old traditional PC methods

You do NOT need to understand any of that to use the TomTom, and TT have provided a means of getting your personal stuff onto and off these new models - namely the 'My Drive Connect' software.
(They have also provided automated tools to move your personal stuff from an older model to a newer one).

Yes, we would all love to still be able to connect the units to our PC's and just muck about with the entire file structure however we like, but you cannot blame TomTom changing it for the reasons above (and also because it hugely simplifies their Support effort as people can no longer completely trash their devices by over-enthusiastic "playing".

Next, when you try to add stuff, TT are quite precise about WHAT sorts of data (i.e. file types) their software understands. If you try to add stuff they cannot handle, that's not their fault!

The original, "normal" PGPSW Speed Camera database download DOES contain some files describing the copyright ownership and where to find help etc. and as those are not the expected file types, you have to remove them.
That's very simple if you know how, but to make it easier for non-technical people, PGPSW has provided an alternative version without them.

Again, you don't need to understand the technical details WHY something happens, you just need to be able to follow the instructions on how to use something.
If there is anything you cannot make work, it is either the fault of the person who wrote the instructions, or the person following them! So any feedback of what exactly the problem is or what is badly explained would be really helpful....

Garmin have arguably a FAR more complicated system, where you have to use their utility program to combine all your POI files into a single file which gets added to the device, you can't just quickly add another single POI file whenever you want. It's all easy enough when you know how to do it (and the possible pitfalls) but certainly no easier than TomTom's method. I know, I've tried both.

Finally, when you say you've tried Firefox and IE and "nothing works", you have to realise that they DO work for many, many people.
We know there's a limitation in IE itself that can sometimes restrict a user to uploading one POI file at a time, but that's clearly documented in the PGPSW instructions and the "single file zip" version was created specifically to deal with that.

Sorry if that's a bit of an unstructured 'stream of consciousness' but as you yourself said, "I feel better for getting it off my chest".
andycabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to transfer favorites from the old TT1 and GO910 to this new via135. Without access to the file lists it seems impossible? I could input them individually, but there are so many of them and most are in the middle of nowhere on unnamed roads.

In the past I have copied the CFG file to the Maps file and its worked ok. Hate to think what will happen adding them to this community content?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: