Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - From TomTom to Garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

From TomTom to Garmin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: From TomTom to Garmin Reply with quote

I have just changed my TomTom to a Garmin Nuvi 3597. I have the speed camera files for the TomTom in a folder on my computer, but gather that it's a different format for the Garmin. Do I have to start all over again, downloading a whole new set of files, etc? Or can I somehow amend the ones I've got before loading them onto the Garmin?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid you have to start again. Read the instructions for your device on this page (Scroll down) to find out how it's done on the Garmin.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I a bit worried that you said "do I have to download all over again" as if it was something unusual! Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

You do realise you are supposed to be re-downloading all the camera files every week anyway, don't you? Otherwise you will be getting more and more out of date.

The camera database is normally updated every Wednesday, so you should be re-downloading soon after that every week and updating what is installed to your SatNav.

For TomTom you needed to select "TomTom OV2", but for Garmin you need to select "Garmin CSV" and use Garmin's POILoader software to put it onto your unit (use the correct version, see the installation instructions on this site).
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I a bit worried that you said "do I have to download all over again"
I thought that as well, but obviously didn't comment.
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was, do I need to create a whole new folder of files for the Garmin? When I first did it for the TomTom (subsequently updated!) I found it a long and tiresome business, and wondered if I would have to go through all that again.

I have now downloaded the Garmin files into a new folder, and from there onto a memory card, as advised, but haven't yet tried it out on the device. My worry is, although when explored on the computer the memory card shows as having the files, it doesn't when explored on the device (with it inserted, of course). I'll just have to wait and see whether it all works!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used POI loader as per the instructions? You have been a bit vague on what exactly you have done.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoyP wrote:

My worry is, although when explored on the computer the memory card shows as having the files, it doesn't when explored on the device (with it inserted, of course). I'll just have to wait and see whether it all works!

Two things should show you it's working on the satnav itself.

When you switch it on you should get a message along the lines of 'I've found POIs on the card, do you want them installed onto your satnav'. If you don't see that something isn't right.

You should also see them under Custom POIs on your satnav.

I suspect you won't, as it doesn't seem like you've used POI loader, just simply copied the files ... that won't work. You can get POI Loader here, it's fairly intuitive, just follow the wizard:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I loaded the files onto a micro SD card via the POI loader, and then inserted that into the device. I also included SOX.exe. But it still doesn't work. Which audio files does the Nuvi 3597 support? Do I load .wav or .mp3? I can't find the answer anywhere, and feel stupid and frustrated! I had the database nicely on my TomTom, and am beginning to regret changing to Garmin...
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to check ... .gpi files should be in a folder named POI on the card, are they? Also the card must be formatted as FAT32.

Can't help with sox.exe as I don't use the voice files.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to feel stupid Joy. Frustrated, perhaps. But you are not by any stretch of the imagination the first person to have problems with POIs when swapping from TT to Garmin. One thing though, it is possible to add POIs to Garmins, it isn't on the latest TTS.
Did you put sox.exe onto the SD card? It doesn't go there.
Can you tell us what instructions you are trying to follow please.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy,

Make sure you got sox.exe from a post authored by MaFt, in which he gives a PGPSW download link for a version of sox.exe which is known to work. (Some other versions apparently do not work).

Unzip it before putting it in the same folder as PoiLoader.exe (eg in C:/Program Files/Garmin/PoiLoader).
(As stated above, sox.exe doesn't go on the SD card, and it doesn't go with the camera and voice files either).

You will need to use the .wav files, unless your device happens to have an mp3 player and can handle the mp3 files.

Keep at it. People are happy to help.

Dales.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
Make sure you got sox.exe from a post authored by MaFt, in which he gives a PGPSW download link for a version of sox.exe which is known to work. (Some other versions apparently do not work).

This one: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/downloads/sox.zip

MaFt
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it all. I downloaded the sox.exe file, extracted it to the same folder as the POI loader is (happens to be in "My downloads", but possibly that's not right.)

When I look on the device itself, under "Custom POIs" it lists the cameras, but I do not get the warnings while driving.

My procedure was: I downloaded the files, including .wav files for the voice, from this site, launched the Garmin POI loader, imported those files, then from the POI loader put them onto the micro SD card. When I put them on the loader I did notice that I got a message about not being able to convert some of the files.

I don't seem to see any .gpi files.

Help!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 'installed' POILoader then it will be in \Program Files\garmin\ or very similar.

That is the location the sox goes to.

Right click the POILoader icon and look at the target path it's launching from as it certainly doesn't launch from your 'downloads'
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen is correct.

Right click the PoiLoader icon, click Properties, and check the Target.

That's where the sox.exe should go.

If sox.exe is not present, then PoiLoader cannot convert the .wav files, and you get the warning message that you mention.

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: