Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S. E. diesel prices?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S. E. diesel prices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: S. E. diesel prices? Reply with quote

I know that this must sound more than a little mean but would people in the Dover, Eastbourne, Croydon triangle mind telling me what you are currently paying for regular supermarket diesel please?

I'm back in the UK soon and wondering if it is with my while filing up my tank before I leave Calais or not.

Many thanks for any replies. Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.petrolprices.com shows between 135.9p & 138.9p per L in Eastbourne.

Dover is 141.9p/L (high and low)

The prices for Bradford seem about right so I'd assume these are fairly accurate too.

MaFt
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medway.

Sainsbury's 138.9
Morrison's 139.9
Esso 138.9
Tesco 139.9

Motorway 147.9

On my trips to France I always go with about a 1/4 tank and fill to the brim before returning. I avoid the Autoroute services and buy from a local garage.

Back in 1990, when I got my first diesel car,and fuel was approx 20% cheaper than petrol. Evidently required less refining and overall, because of the improved mpg, less pollution. Over the years diesel engines have become more popular the price of diesel has rocketed. Funny that! Confused
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great information. Thank you both for your advice. It's much appreciated.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Back in 1990, when I got my first diesel car,and fuel was approx 20% cheaper than petrol. Evidently required less refining and overall, because of the improved mpg, less pollution. Over the years diesel engines have become more popular the price of diesel has rocketed. Funny that

In the days when petrol was the norm diesel was considered a byproduct and as you say less refining, just goes to show that its not the effort put into the product that that dictates price but the demand, personally I don't think its funny but disgusting greed, also makes you wonder what justifies the current high price of petroleum products.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
That's great information. Thank you both for your advice. It's much appreciated.

Filled up today at 1 am at the Asda at Greenhithe near Bluewater. It's outside your triangle, I know, but diesel was 136.7 ppl.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
Back in 1990, when I got my first diesel car,and fuel was approx 20% cheaper than petrol. Evidently required less refining and overall, because of the improved mpg, less pollution. Over the years diesel engines have become more popular the price of diesel has rocketed. Funny that! Confused

Very true. My parents got their first diesel vehicle, a Land Rover Discovery I 200Tdi, in 1992. I bought it from them in 1995. Since then, all of our vehicles except my wife's car have been diesel. I have noticed the cost of diesel rocket even though it has better MPG and thus better for the environment.

Moving back on topic. It's not always a good idea to wait until your destination to fill up your fuel tank, especially if you drive a diesel. Back in 2001, my wife (then girlfriend) and I went on holiday to Jersey (Channel Islands) and took the Discovery, which is really too big for some of Jersey roads.

As Jersey fuel prices in those days (though not any more) were considerably cheaper than mainland UK I decided to drive down to Weymouth without filling up. We got there at 00:30 and had to wait until 05:00 for the greasy cafe to open. The chef was in high spirits and told us that the fast Condor ferry wouldn't run in the rough weather. At 06:00 this was confirmed by the ferry office so we had to catch the slow ferry from Portsmouth (about 80 miles away and along a lot of the roads that we had driven to get to Weymouth). A convoy of us raced to Portsmouth and by the time we got there I was driving on vapours! Nowadays I have a jerry can in the boot and start a journey with a full fuel tank! Wink
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous to the Picasso I had a Xsara 2.0 HDi Auto Estate, which my son now has. I kept records for the first 3.5 years.

14/6/2003 - 77.9 per litre.
26/6/2004 - 78.9
8/6/2005 - 88.9
8/6/2006 - 96.9
30/12/2006 - 92.9

Had a high on 12/9/2005 - 99.9. at the same time in France 85

493.07 gallons - 19666 miles - Overall mpg 39.88.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies, spot on.

If it's any use to anyone going to France soon, French diesel prices at the end of last week were....

Motorways €1.50
Branded petrol stations € 1.40 - €1.45
Supermarkets €1.35 - €1.38

per litre.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Quote:
Back in 1990, when I got my first diesel car,and fuel was approx 20% cheaper than petrol. Evidently required less refining and overall, because of the improved mpg, less pollution. Over the years diesel engines have become more popular the price of diesel has rocketed. Funny that

In the days when petrol was the norm diesel was considered a byproduct and as you say less refining, just goes to show that its not the effort put into the product that that dictates price but the demand, personally I don't think its funny but disgusting greed, also makes you wonder what justifies the current high price of petroleum products.

The "problem" for the producers is that refining makes a certain proportion of petrol, diesel, and all the other refined bits and the process is not easily adjusted to change the proportions. So, for example, when they run the refining thing, it makes say 50% petrol and 50% diesel (not accurate, I don't know the actual proportions, this is just to demonstrate the principal). Increased demand for one creates a surplus of the other and the reverse for decreases. The problem for us users is the hype put out by the oil companies - e.g. "High demand for heavy power station oil has created a price increase situation", but in truth, they're lumbered with a surplus of petrol even though they put the price up!! Rolling Eyes The government makes a fortune out of the tax on fuels, so they have been quietly happy to see the prices rocket, whilst at the same time pontificating about greedy petrol companies.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis Perhaps you are correct in your last paragraph, but I think your proportions are way out, not being a diesel fan and not doing the mileage to warrant one my wifes car is a 2012 1.6 petrol Focus estate and I have just purchased a 2010 2.0 petrol Mondeo estate which was like finding rocking horse whatsit in any petrol guise, I managed to find 2 nationwide, it also reiterates my point that when petrol was the norm diesel was cheaper now the opposite is happening and it would seem the government is happy to bleat but still sit on the bandwagon.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering what goes into exploration, extraction, refining and distribution I think fuel is relatively cheap, it's just a pity that we all have to use so much of it to do anything.

Consider it against the cost of a pint at your local and that's just water with a few added plants and stuff.

In the 80‘s I think I remember milk being dearer than petrol but the supermarkets have squeezed the farmers on milk prices so that we no longer a meaningful cost of milk to compare.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember telling people I would give up driving if petrol went up to 10 shillings a gallon. The first gallon I bought in 1959 was four shillings and sevenpence halfpenny.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You was robbed! I was paying four and six. At the time, the price in France equated to about 9 shillings I think.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brain is working overtime, at the time one of my wage rises consisted of 5 gallons of petrol per week, when petrol increased by about 5d (old pence) my boss was so upset he changed it a limit of a £1 so instead of 5 gallons I only got 4 gallons, at the time I was driving a mini and still managed to offload a few gallons occasionally, for the struggling younger readers their was 240 pence to the pound at that time. thus I was probably paying about 4 and 8,
the terminology feels very strange nowadays.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: