Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waremark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just bought a 3598 to replace a TT 950. The TT has an excellent feature set, but looks and feels old fashioned. I have wanted to update (I used to regularly upgrade to the latest high end satnav, although I always have built in ones in my cars), but held off because I rated TT and hoped they would include a route/itinerary planning feature in their newer units. That feature is essential for me, and is still not available in either of the newer generations of TT's. I wanted to stick with TT because of the excellent traffic, received, expensively but very easily, via an internal sim card, and the good journey times and routing. However, now Garmin do digital traffic, and with the beautiful look and feel of the 3598, I thought I would try Garmin.

I like it a lot. However, on the central issue of route choice it seems way worse than TT. TT forecasts journey times very accurately across all road types, and generally chooses sensible routes. Trying well known routes from my home on the 3598 (set to Fastest navigation mode) it is stupidly biased towards major routes. Travel times on minor routes are absurdly over-estimated. For my most frequent journey, it correctly suggests about 1 hour by main roads. Using my normal route I generally take 50 to 55 minutes. Garmin thinks this route would take 1h 40m. Not surprisingly, it did not want me to use this route, and I had to put in several waypoints to force it to use my route. It is clear that where it goes wrong is estimating incredibly low average speeds on minor roads. I have not yet tried it in the city, and I don't yet know about the traffic info quality. My experience to date tells me that I will not trust the route planning.

How do others find the route planning and journey time estimates of Garmin compared with TT? Many years ago I changed from Garmin to TT and found back then that TT route planning was much better, but I expected that Garmin would have caught up on this vital aspect. I have not updated my map yet, because I probably don't have enough memory - I will do so after getting an SD card, but would be surprised if route times change significantly.

I like most aspects of the 3598 more than my old TT. There is one other aspect I like less, which is the heavy power cable and the need for an aerial for the digital traffic.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a 3598 and go 600 the traffic is much better on the tomtom as is the overall experience (clarity of instruction and visual)

However with latest updates and maps on both units I find route choice and arrival time fairly accurate on both (ie latest updates improve the Garmins routing considerably to nearly match tomtom) so go for it

The look and build on the Garmin is pretty nice
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin devices also 'learn' the speeds you tend to travel at, so you'll find as you use it more the times should start to be more realistic. On journeys now my 2508 is pretty much bang on.

As for route choice, your 3598 (like my 2508) will offer up to 3 route choices so I tend to have a look first and choose the one I'd like. I rarely need to add vias but there are times when it may be necessary.

Your comment about 'stupidly biased towards major routes' is interesting as many seem to complain about the opposite, using minor roads in preference to 'obvious major routes'. Much of this is probably due to personal preference, I've used Garmins for years and haven't really seen a bias either way. I've also found where I've tried what initially seemed to me like not the best route that in practice it's pretty good.

One thing you may want to experiment with and that's turning off myTrends and TrafficTrends. I've seen reports where some users are happier with routing with those switched off.
waremark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging replies. I will download the latest map (have been out to buy a micro SD card) and drive with it for a bit.
WayneLeeHharris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got home with my nice new shiny Garmin 3598

I have registered it online and fully updated it, no probs! all went smoothly

I did stick a new 8GB in the slot before I turn it on, but it didn't say I needed to use the card, how come?
thought I`d read it asks you too as theirs not normally enough memory on it? seems to have installed everything without needing the sodding card

I cant seen anywhere on the Garmin Express Menu that it says it has a card in it, but it has!
also, with this big thick chunky power cable, do I really have to use this plug in antenna? its an eyesore Laughing Out Loud!

their was only 1 left in Oxfordshire at Halfords
they price matched it to Argos for £249 as they were flogging it for £289

RESULT

Very Happy Very Happy
Waze
iPhone 6 128GB
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2597 needed a SD card for the 2015 maps but so far the 2599 hasn't. I haven't looked at the 2 units base capacities.
I've got a card ready if it needs it though.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Express won't tell you there is a card installed. It will though tell you if you need one. Guess at the moment you don't.
R0dG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please can anyone tell me how to perform a hard reset on a 3598?

My problem is that the traffic function has stopped working. Garmin customer support have told me this is what I need to do, but the instructions they have given me:

1. Disconnect your device from your computer
2. Turn the device off
3. Press and hold the bottom right hand corner of the screen and press the on/off button. (nuvi 3xx devices will need to touch the top right hand corner of the screen)

do not work - all that happens is that the device powers on as normal. I have tried following the links earlier in this thread but they are out of date

Thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Ba1f85d30-a65f-11e4-4df3-000000000000%7D#25092609

Note the need to wait until the first copyright screen appears.
R0dG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the swift response. It didn't work quite as the instructions showed (there was no option to erase all data) but it does seem to have performed the reset.

However my traffic problem remains unsolved. The unit still insists that 'the cable which is compatible with traffic is not connected to the device' (it is).

This issue seems to have started at the same time as I installed, then removed the Garmin smartphone app from my phone. Any ideas what to try next would be very gratefully received.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK it needs to be connected and powered, is yours?

If it is you may need to go into the traffic app on your nuvi and force it to search for traffic providers, although without a cable that option may not be there?
R0dG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your response.

On the traffic screen it shows at the top 'receiver disconnected'

then 'Traffic' which is in white, with the box ticked and 'compatible traffic accessory required' in grey

then 'Current provider - no traffic providers' - all greyed out

then 'Subscriptions - current subscriptions' - also greyed out
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that too but not when the cable is plugged in and powered up. Is your cable definitely receiving power?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea, you do need to be in an area with DAB reception for it to function with traffic - and for example at home it picks up with seconds, but at work it can for me take up to 10 minutes to find it, because DAB signal isn't very stock in my works area (and I find the fastest way to get the unit receiving the single when in a low signal area, is to drive in to an open space rather than built up area, and pull the power cord out of the car and back in - if I leave it searching it can take forever)

Like I said, just an idea, if signal isn't great you can get these errors
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
R0dG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's in the car and connected to the power socket. All other functions are working, the traffic function was working previously with the same power lead, with the smaller traffic antenna which is still attached

I have got the same error message wherever I have tried to use Traffic over the last few months

Thanks for your ideas, keep them coming please!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: