Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope but they've added a load more Eastern European voices so hardly any free memory.

They PCB board has been updated though as running through the system diagnostics it shows a couple of versions different. Everything else seems the same as the model purchased last Spring on release.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the last map update, it was put on my SD card as there was not enough internal memory. I have not added any personal stuff on the internal memory, just custom POIs on the SD card.

I have noticed that after the update, there is far more internal memory available (deletion of the old maps I guess). Also noticed some big files have been added to the internal memory during the update.

gmap3d.img 734,544KB was added to the internal system directory (and a few other smaller files)

On the SD card, a new Garmin directory appeared containing gmapprom.img 3,441,344Kb and a few smaller ones.

Did try removing the SD card & using GE to reload the maps but it grumbled there was not enough memory.

If Garmin are not supplying SD cards, how will map updates fit onto the nuvi?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't, you'll need to buy one ... just as it seems we have to do for phones, cameras etc Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But at least you don't have to buy ones for Phones and cameras etc. just to make them work properly because the vendor has hugely increased the size of his operating system.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my latest camera came with space for maybe 2 or 3 photos so without a card it was pretty much useless, at least with a satnav you can use it without a card and just use slightly out of date maps Very Happy

And of course it's not the OS increasing in size ... but I'm sure you knew that Wink
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new map on my 3598 is actually smaller that the one it replaces.
I have an image of the new out of the box machine
and one after the first update. This being the second update.

However for what ever reason, GE put the new map on the SD card, removed them from the internal memory & also stuck a big file on the internal memory.

With a camera or phone, you buy a SD card to store more of your personal data on it.

I would expect a nuvi with 'lifetime updates' to work for a good few years before running out of memory.

And the worst thing, the new map still shows macdonalds icons :o(

I assume everybody's 3598 shows maccy Ds?

As yet Garmin have not responded to my requests as to why it appears on my map (other than to turn off all POIs)
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the burger king ones show up as well
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
And of course it's not the OS increasing in size ... but I'm sure you knew that Wink
If it is a dedicated satnav then it is effectively the OS including any maps that come with it as it's about as much use as t*** on a fish without them.

Use out of date maps? The device should have enough memory to run any comparable (with the original) map they provide. There used to be an adage in computing to provide at least twice the ream that you think you will need, but it seems that TT and Garmin have not done this you either have to provide your own extra memory or split up the maps that one went onto the device into chunks as they are now too big because the manufacturer did not provide enough memory in the first place.[/b]
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the OS is the firmware, with the maps the data Wink

The firmware doesn't increase in size very much but maps do, in fact the main increase in size at least with the Garmin maps seem to be with the junction view files, the 'eye candy' in other words. As for 'lifetime maps' Garmin do say this:

In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the same map data originally included with your Garmin product, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD card or a SD card (as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD card or SD card slot contained in your Garmin product.

so it seems reasonable to me that users should expect to purchase a sd card.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wibbley. It may be worth checking you haven't selected a smaller area by mistake or that the Nuvi has done this for you. All the main mapping data held in Gmapprom increases in size every release so if you are seeing a smaller file it may be due to a smaller region being selected
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a way to force a smaller region if you installed full region in the past
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can select regions in Garmin Express ie just UK and Eire if you want as this speeds up the loading process when you turn the Nuvi on
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last map update wouldn't allow me to change map region via garmin express. even if i tried the option for reinstalling
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GE only gives me the option (non option?) of Full Coverage of Europe 2014.40 so in theory I could not have installed a smaller regional map.

My original backup of the 3598 shows three big files in the system directory
gmap3d.img 721,008
gmapbmap.img 49,808
gmapdem.img 310,392
gmapprom.img 3,391,936

The update to map 2014.40
has the first three files as listed above, same size but with the timestamp of 1/02/2014

but has deleted the fourth file from the internal memory. It has put 4 files on my SD card, the biggest,
gmapprom.img 3,441,344
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GE gives far fewer options than MapUpdater ... Try that instead.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: