Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adelaide Commuters Get GPS Tracking For Bus, Train and Tram
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adelaide Commuters Get GPS Tracking For Bus, Train and Tram

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Adelaide Commuters Get GPS Tracking For Bus, Train and Tram Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
The deputy CEO of Adelaide's Transport Department, Emma Thomas, has announced that commuters will soon be able to track their public transport by GPS. At present all buses, trams and trains in the South Australia Capital city are fitted with GPS trackers for traffic and service monitoring.

From July commuters will have access to this data too although the finer details such as if it will be via smartphone apps or a website are not yet known.

Would this be of benefit to you? What f it was rolled out in your home town, would the knowledge of your bus' location be helpful or are you unorganised like me and feel you'd just end up racing the bus to the bus stop...?

Source: Herald Sun

Map imagery: Open Street Map

email icon
angusc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Catch that Bus Reply with quote

Dont we already have something similar with the APP "Catch that Bus"? it has the running times of busses for UK....... it eems to work well for me.
Sallet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transport For London has a system in place now (at least I assume its GPS based). When the app says the bus is due, it turns into my road within very few seconds. I presume TFL use it to show how many minutes away the bus is on the luminous signs above many London bus stops. If its not GPS based, it's generally damn accurate and I time my departure from the house to get to the stop within about a minute of its arrival!

Nick
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's even one for London Tube trains... a map of the whole system showing where the trains actually are right now!

http://traintimes.org.uk/map/tube/

I've never actually found a practical use for it, but it's strangely satisfying just watching it for a few minutes!
(Maybe I need to get out more... Rolling Eyes )
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On balance having a fish tank is slightly more therapeutic, but there is more work to maintaining it.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Catch that Bus Reply with quote

angusc wrote:
Dont we already have something similar with the APP "Catch that Bus"? it has the running times of busses for UK....... it eems to work well for me.

Our local busses have a system where you can text the bus stop number to a premium rate text number (about 40p I think it cost) and they tell you when the next busses are. I tried it once (too lazy to read the time table that was above the advert for the sms service!) and I had got off the bus by the time I got the reply... :/
Johnmw1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's interesting news. I live in Adelaide and have seen no mention of that in the local press, and considering that the Herald Sun is a Melbourne newspaper and they hate us Adelaidians (and vise versa) it's even more surprising. Wink

Anyway it could be quite useful to know when and if the buses and trains are running on time, and only time will tell I guess. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,
John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: