Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 2445LMT. Loses power. Locks Up.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 2445LMT. Loses power. Locks Up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SS1k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 2445LMT. Loses power. Locks Up. Reply with quote

Hi,

First time here looking to see if anyone else is having similar problems to myself.

I am a long term user of Garmin GPS equipment. I've had a number of SATNAVs and hand held GPSrs which have been very good in the main.

In September last year I decided to retire my 5 year old Nuvi 670 and invest in a new Nuvi 2445LMT which I bought from Argos.

WOW how things have improved although I do wish the 2445LMT would talk to Mapsource - Basecamp is yet to grow on me.

During the first couple of months I had no real problems with the 2445LMT other than it powering off a couple of times - I wasn't unduly worried by this. However between Xmas and the new year the 2445LMT became very unreliable. Often it would lose power/reboot may times in only a few minutes. This happened in 3 different vehicles.

I contacted Garmin Tech Support and confirmed I had correctly installed the latest software and maps. They advised a master reset and to reload again, if this failed to resolve the problem then they would suspect the unit was faulty.

I did as advised and the unit was no better. It could go for many days without a problem and then hit a bad patch and keep shutting down/rebooting.

I took it back to Argos and rejected the unit and after an argument they replaced it with a new 2445LMT. I took it home and loaded the latest software and maps. All was well for a couple of days and then it started playing up just like the original unit. Driving around London with an faulty SATNAV is not good fun. The unit did seem less prone to crashing if I removed the power lead and ran from the internal battery but it did lock up with a frozen screen a couple of times.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. This unit does everything I want, I love the new features it has over my old 670 (although I do miss the FM transmitter) but the unreliability is driving me nuts.

Am I alone with this problem? Have I been unlucky to get two faulty units?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you can get mapsource to talk to the newer nuvis but you need to set it to mass storage mode.

To do that:

1. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
2. The Developers Screen will pop up
3. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
4. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
5. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
6. Mapsource should now see it.

As an alternative to step 1 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "dashboard" screen, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen.

Second, I've not heard of your GPS having significant lock up problems. I'd contact Garmin CS and seek their advice.
Mfield999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SS1k -

YES - I am with you on this!

I have spoken to Garmin - (who they say have never heard of this problem - at at least I was the only one in the world to report it)

I have had THREE units - and all reboot - especially when I am navigating.

Its worse when I start out ...the thing reboots just after putting in the postcode - and it looses the history on it, so I have to reenter it again.

This can take 2 or 3 times before it works.

Annoyed - frustrated - unhappy are words I describe it.

They will not replace it with another model and say that I have to contact Amazon to return it ....even though this problem has been gonig on for over 18 months .

The last unit - has a different serial number on the back compared to the internal number inside the unit...and it was the last straw when a recent update then LOCKED all the maps and gave me nothing to navigate with.

Please Garmin - please help us !

Matthew
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an unusual problem ... think you've just been unlucky.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: