Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin CSV to GPX Converter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin CSV to GPX Converter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or just put a "1" in the appropriate screen field :D

I think step 1 is I need to understand the Garmin logic. If I can get away just writing out the # line and it still produces overspeed warnings the I think it's job done ?

The current theory is, based on older Garmins and using my settings:

At 14 seconds away produce a camera warning.
If at 6 seconds away you are over the limit produce another warning.

Based on what you said about mobiles I want to investigate this as even with just one mobile warning intended I did used to get multiple warnings.

I should have some time next week. What I want to look at first is the distance between mobiles at the Target Roundabout because it used to go crazy there. I used to get up to 4 warnings back to back. [/list][/list]
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
... or just put a "1" in the appropriate screen field :D

I could do that as well Embarassed

Quote:
I think step 1 is I need to understand the Garmin logic. If I can get away just writing out the # line and it still produces overspeed warnings the I think it's job done ?

Erm, I don't think so. It does produce overspeed warnings with just the # lines - at least on my old Garmin 350. That's the problem.
You only produce # lines when OverSpeed setting is zero, you produce # and @ lines when non-zero.
What I'm going to test should show if you need to output @ lines when OverSpeed is zero.

Quote:
I should have some time next week. What I want to look at first is the distance between mobiles at the Target Roundabout because it used to go crazy there. I used to get up to 4 warnings back to back.

OK, no problem.
I'll get back to you on my test results.
City Navigator Europe NT 2018.10
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

If I get the time today I intend to load the latest database. I'll just run with the approach warning # set and see what happens.

If as you say, and you've got to be right as you've tested it, then the # line is all that is required and if that produces overspeeds then I'm stumped.

The camera I use for overspeed testing is normally OK on a Mon/Tue/Wed as 'everybody' does 60+ down this 50mph dual carriageway on the opposite direction to the camera.

However, sods law usually dictates that when I want to do some testing I'll get stuck behind someone doing 50 Sad
When I introduced the separate overspeed.wav it took 2 weeks before I could get above 50.

later :D
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the beauty of a separate overspeed.wav is that you can use a separate audio warning which contains some added 'bite' eg if you have overlooked the first warning for a gatso or redspeed camera. Also, its timing can be set to the user's preference.

If the Garmin is unwantedly repeating the first (proximity) alert whilst over the limit, try altering the settings eg under Tools...Settings...Proximity Points...Proximity Alerts...Change...Audio... You can set Single Tone or Continuous Tone on some Garmins.

Dales
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 1 complete, Garmin is sat next to me on the desk :D

Stage 2 complete, new file loaded.

During code checking I found a bug that I've now sorted, but not released yet. May as well wait until testing is complete.

The bug is the way I'm handing Redlight cameras during the Overspeed separation. Some of them don't have a # or a @ and I'm writing them out to the wrong file or not writing them at all depending on the Overspeed selection.

I've now got just the # files on mine and I'll see how it goes with speed reminders. I know I won't get my bespoke Overspeed.wav cutting in as I now have no @ files.
The way the Overspeed works is the last process scans all the files and removes all the lines with a @ in to a separate single file called Overspeed .gpx which of course links to the overspeed.wav

Now just need to be able to overdo it on my test camera.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More tests Wednesday and I'll confirm results. Problem I'm having is the same as yours - not being able to get over speed!

So far I've confirmed several things, I'm sure you're aware of them but doesn't help to clarify.

1. If there are no @ lines in the GPX file there is an approach warning and then 3 or 4 OverSpeed warnings, the last of which is often timed just as you've gone past the camera.
The Garmin is obviously putting in the OverSpeed warnings itself.

2. If there are @ lines you again get repeated OverSpeed warnings as expected. There doesn't really appear much difference between 1 & 2 with Approach set to 30 seconds.

3. If there are @ lines with values of 0 or 1 as the Proximity value then so far I've had 1 Approach warning and 1 OverSpeed warning.
I'm going to test this again but it is a VAST improvement on the 3 or 4 I was getting in 1.

Edited above to remove my misconceptions and added conclusion:

So what does all this mean for me?
A. Leaving out the @ lines when I set OverSpeed to zero doesn't work - I get multiple warnings when I should (in theory) get none. The code in CSV to GPX Converter may need to be amended here.
B. On my Garmin I'm not able to remove Over Speed warnings altogether and this also seems to be the conclusion elsewhere on the net.
C. Setting an OverSpeed value of 1 is the best compromise to reduce the Over Speed warnings and using the Overspeed sound file will also improve the situation.

Last edited by m-a-r-k on Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I'm now running with just # in the files. As a result, like you, I'm just getting a single warning when I'm my set distance from the camera (14 secs). So far so good and all cameras reported.

As above, sod's law kicked in yesterday and my one safe overspeed camera didn't get tested because I got stuck just at under 50 mph so no overspeed warning. I'm going to have to wait for that one. I'm not back in the office and therefore not passing that camera till Xmas eve so don't hold your breath Smile

One bit of information for your No 1 is that Garmin stack up the warnings one behind each other so if it decides to issue 4 warnings then it can keep on going well past the camera. I think to be fair to Garmin if you are over the limit then giving repeated warnings is not to be scorned at.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
As above, sod's law kicked in yesterday and my one safe overspeed camera didn't get tested because I got stuck just at under 50 mph so no overspeed warning. I'm going to have to wait for that one.
As you are changing all sorts of parameters for the cameras, why don't you change the trap speed for your test cam down from 50MPH to 30MPH for testing purposes then you don't have to exceed the limit to trigger it? You wouldn't have to rely on a clear road then. Or even insert a slow 'test' cam local to you so you don't have to drive to the office to pass a cam?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Kremmen wrote:
As above, sod's law kicked in yesterday and my one safe overspeed camera didn't get tested because I got stuck just at under 50 mph so no overspeed warning. I'm going to have to wait for that one.
As you are changing all sorts of parameters for the cameras, why don't you change the trap speed for your test cam down from 50MPH to 30MPH for testing purposes then you don't have to exceed the limit to trigger it? You wouldn't have to rely on a clear road then. Or even insert a slow 'test' cam local to you so you don't have to drive to the office to pass a cam?

Embarassed

I could also use the GPS simulation mode to save driving.

Why didn't I think of that (answers on a postcard)
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of that too, but didn't know if Garmins alerted on speed cams in sim mode. iGO doesn't
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know next week ................
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

I managed to get a clear run yesterday. Unfortunately, and going against the reports above I had no second warnings even though I was doing 55+ approaching and going past a 50 camera. All I got was a single approach notification at 14 seconds.

With my previous # and @ lines I did get overspeed warnings, usually 2 of them.

I'm stumped
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What settings did you use to get no warnings - OverSpeed set to zero?

I've edited and amended the post I made above with my test results and conclusion.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I had Overspeed throughout set to zero. All I had was 14 seconds in Approach for all.

On first testing it does seem that a # marker in the GPX file will only produce a single one off warning at the proximity set.

Therefore it's the @ that is performing the continual overspeed warnings.

What I don't understand is that I cannot reproduce your No 1 above. With only a # I only get a single approach warning.

More testing needed .......

During this I'm attempting to get a DropBox shared folder going so you can get test versions.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could simply be a difference in Garmin models and firmware.

Or just the lower approach setting of 14 doesn't give enough time for OverSpeed warnings to kick in? I wonder if you could test with 30s Approach time.

What is your setting on the device for Settings/Proximity Points/Alerts/Audio: Single Tone or Continuous?

I've downloaded your file, I won't be able to do much until next week however.
Do you have a separate OverSpeed sound file, in other words the OverSpeed GPX file?

Lots of questions Smile
I'll get back.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 10 of 74

Jump to: