Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Sygic for Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Sygic for Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Googling for Sygic Support? To save you the time, I've done it for you and it's here
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8TJT
M8TJT wrote:
Have you tried Googling for Sygic Support? To save you the time, I've done it for you and it's here

Thank you for replying.

Yes I had [have] been to that page but it is of no help, because of the type of [my] request.

The big problem is they [sygic] show no contact email address anywhere that I can see. Surprised

If anyone as an sygic account, may be there is way of them pointing sygic to my post. Rolling Eyes

With regards
TheQuest Cool
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't for the life of me see why you can't ask your question on their support page. There is an 'Other' in the type drop down. I have used this page in the past and have had a fairly quick reply Very Happy
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8TJT
M8TJT wrote:
I can't for the life of me see why you can't ask your question on their support page. There is an 'Other' in the type drop down. I have used this page in the past and have had a fairly quick reply Very Happy

Thank you again for getting back to me.

For the the life of me I did not see the Other tab in the drop down Embarassed, will give it a try.

Many thanks
With regards
TheQuest Cool
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:

why would you want to force a satnav to use a different route to what it recommends?

Multi reasons. One being friends/family who know the congested area of north London advise a completely different approach, one of which agreed with TomTom on their Live Traffic website. Even Google maps did not take me the Sygic route.

So yes, that's another very valid reason - in the above and in some of my other experiences, Sygic does not agree with other route planners, including Michelin's web site.

For an example of Sygic daftness: http://tinyurl.com/bncfdkv . Just to say at that time, TT Live Traffic didn't show any problem at that point.

In some ways I am sad Sygic does not meet expectations because I prefer its actual map interface and it finds satellite signals much quicker than TT. And I do know that TT likes to take one down farm tracks - because it has cut back on road classification data to make way for more superfluous information.

JaTe asked:
Surely if you don't have faith in Sygic then why don't you revert back to TomTom?

I reluctantly have paid out to do that! I now need to update my signature to show I have the Android version of TomTom.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="navtrav"]
Fellwalker wrote:

why would you want to force a satnav to use a different route to what it recommends?

...https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31011761/Screenshot_2012-12-19-14-11-17.png

Multi reasons. One being friends/family who know the congested area of north London advise a completely different approach, one of which agreed with TomTom on their Live Traffic website. Even Google maps did not take me the Sygic route.

So yes, that's another very valid reason - in the above and in some of my other experiences, Sygic does not agree with other route planners, including Michelin's web site.

For an example of Sygic daftness: http://tinyurl.com/bncfdkv . Just to say at that time, TT Live Traffic didn't show any problem at that point.

In some ways I am sad Sygic does not meet expectations because I prefer its actual map interface and it finds satellite signals much quicker than TT. And I do know that TT likes to take one down farm tracks - because it has cut back on road classification data to make way for more superfluous information.
How on earth do you get sygic to route like that?
I created route from Highgate Library to Holiday Inn Golders Green. It takes me straight along the A1. I have no experience of their traffic system.
I started with Co-pilot 6, which had gorgeous maps with proper details of the bends, so it was wonderful just to run with that on but not routing, so you could anticipate the bends. Its routing was pretty rubbish, so next was TomTom 5, but they abandoned everyone except their stand alone systems. Out of date maps left no way to move forward on my iPAQ or HD2. I tried several (see sig) and settled on Sygic as it was by far the best - i do not get weird routing from it, and have found it coincided with local knowledge in many cases. IMHO, TomTom just want lots of money from you.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8TJT

Have sorted it, very quick reply from sygic support, as you said.

Many thank again for pointing me to the 'Other' Thumbs Up

A very happy Christmas to You, Your Family and Friend. Merry Xmas

With regards
Take Care
TheQuest Cool
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
navtrav wrote:

I created route from Highgate Library to Holiday Inn Golders Green. It takes me straight along the A1.

How on earth indeed? As you can see, there were no waypoints to make Sygic want to take me that way. I wonder if you did your route in reverse (mine was going north south, or is that west east at that point?)

Sygic did a very similar trick in central Oxford when it unnecessarily took me a real peculiar way. It directed me down what turned out to be one of the university roads with at the far end a gate...locked closed! But even accounting for the lane mistake, it was still a circuituous route when I should just have stayed on the main road.

Luckily real-life signposts eventually came to the rescue and we were not late for the theatre performance!

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon fellwalker, either resize your picture to comply with the forum rules, or delete it. It's screwing up the whole page and does not realy add anything to your post.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

... resize your picture to comply with the forum rules

Tired, old - and grumpy? Sounds like me, but even so, must I search for forum rules when a 'verifier' could have so easily put in brackets pixels x pixels or whatever?

Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
Fellwalker wrote:
navtrav wrote:

I created route from Highgate Library to Holiday Inn Golders Green. It takes me straight along the A1.

How on earth indeed? As you can see, there were no waypoints to make Sygic want to take me that way. I wonder if you did your route in reverse (mine was going north south, or is that west east at that point?)

Sygic did a very similar trick in central Oxford when it unnecessarily took me a real peculiar way. It directed me down what turned out to be one of the university roads with at the far end a gate...locked closed! But even accounting for the lane mistake, it was still a circuituous route when I should just have stayed on the main road.

Luckily real-life signposts eventually came to the rescue and we were not late for the theatre performance!
Whenever Sygic has taken me on a closed or private road, the fault has been that TomTom maps still shows it as a public road. It is so important to tell them, so that in a few years, they will get round to fixing it.
TomTom website wrote:
You can report changes to our maps in two ways:

Use TomTom Map Share on your navigation device to report a change. [ more... ]
Use the online Map Share Reporter to report a change.
http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools (I've just logged in again, and my previous reports have disappeared - but the roads I reported as private farm tracks still look to be open. What hope is there for us all?) I have reported two of them again.

How irritating. In the olden days, the map reporting tool showed the road classification as two way, one way, private, and speed limits. Now it shows only the roads and tracks in different shades or colours with no key as to what the pretty colours mean. How unhelpful of TomTom.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, I looked at the TomTom Android app. Not very friendly IMHO.
It is incompatible with my Nexus 7. So despite TomTom saying that you can use it off-line, clearly they do not want you to be able to do so.
Map updates are free for the life of the app., which gives them wriggle room to say the app is out of date and you will have to pay again.
If you want to use your subscription on a different device, you have to login with your MyTomTom account in the TomTom Shop on your preferred device.

On Sygic, I have had the app updated several times, and can use it on all of my devices (up to 5) and across different platforms.
tomjerrycan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have bought this Sygic Offer for the 2 licenses and have downloaded to my HTC EVO 3D, haven't had a chance to use it yet but the interface looks really good, certainly better than Tomtoms
My friend is buying the other license off me and we are splitting the cost so £8.74 each bit of a no-brainer in my opinion..

Having read through the thread in my experience all satnav software has its own little quirks and will almost certainly send you down a wrong road or route you somewhere where you never needed to go at some point in the life of the product.

I have owned them all over the years since 2000 and they all do it no matter whether it cost £50 from a Garmin streetpilot to a £250 Tomtom Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: