Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav Sends Woman To Her Death
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav Sends Woman To Her Death
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: SatNav Sends Woman To Her Death Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Portsmouth.co.uk reports that a female motorist was misdirected down the A27 by her SatNav last December, resulting in a collision which tragically resulted in her death.

The twenty-one year old woman from Chichester was killed following a head-on collision which occurred after her SatNav advised her to take the first turning on a roundabout, directing her towards oncoming traffic on the A27.

A verdict of 'accidental death' was recorded by the coroner whilst one of the police offers involved in the case explained the accident could have resulted from a "momentary lapse in concentration" coupled with the woman's unfamiliarity with the area.

As one of many recent stories concerning misguided drivers relying on SatNavs, this story emphasises how these devices should be used to supplement driver knowledge rather than to replace it.

In an attempt to address the growing culture of SatNav dependence, the government held their first ever SatNav summit in March, aiming to improve the accuracy of the directions.

Other stories have seen tourists drive into the sea after following incorrect directions, whilst an Australian walker was stranded for two days following problems with a GPS device.

Of course, not all SatNav blunders have had such negative outcomes and misdirected criminals have been brought to justice thanks to navigational blunders - with both a drugs plot and a US smuggling operation foiled by misdirected GPS recently.
email icon

alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is an April. Fools sorry it ended in the woman dying but she was incontrol of the car not the sat nav

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely not one single jot of evidence that the satnav told her to take the first exit - nobody says they were in the Ka with her and heard it say so and watched her obey, there is no police surveillance evidence quoted, nor CCTV footage scanned. There is not even a clear statement that a satnav was found in the wreckage.

Simply whoever wrote this says that's what happened. Journalistic incompetence!! They teach kids to write in school, would that they taught them to think about what they write.

And bear in mind that the "first exit" she must have taken would have been a right turn from going the wrong way (anti-clockwise) round the roundabout!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A verdict of 'accidental death' was recorded by the coroner whilst one of the police offers involved in the case explained the accident could have resulted from a "momentary lapse in concentration" coupled with the woman's unfamiliarity with the area.
I think that 'one of the police officers' has a much more likely reason. Like Dennis, I can't imagine the scenario when the first turning off a roundabout will take you down a D/C the wrong way.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of satnav here but suggests that this is a dangerous road, here suggests we'll find out tomorrow!

here also suggests it was on the westbound carriageway but there are a number of roads that cross that road, and we have seen it many times where people turn into on comming traffic at crossroads?

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it again, travelling from Chichester to Worthing, for lack of details, I'm guessing she was turning OFF the eastbound A27 here and after crossing over the A27, made a sort of U-turn left into the opposite off slip road instead of the correct exit from that roundabout for the road to Worthing.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...and after crossing over the A27, made a sort of U-turn left into the opposite off slip road instead of the correct exit from that roundabout for the road to Worthing.
Thats what I thought as well but with bollards and lamposts on that corner that's one hell of a mistake to make.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnboy290 wrote:
I don't know the road from ground level but it doesn't seem possible to get onto the wrong side of the road.
It would appear that it is possible, however unlikely :=(
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In her defence, if it is the roundabout Dennis linked to, those No Entry signs are pointing in the wrong direction. They should be pointing towards the traffic circulating the roundabout, not facing the inside of it.

She would see them almost side on at best. More likely that she would be able to see the Give Way signs on the back instead. A No Left Turn wouldn't go amiss either.

RIP
Gerry
timtech
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote
Quote:
In her defence, if it is the roundabout Dennis linked to, those No Entry signs are pointing in the wrong direction. They should be pointing towards the traffic circulating the roundabout, not facing the inside of it.

She would see them almost side on at best. More likely that she would be able to see the Give Way signs on the back instead. A No Left Turn wouldn't go amiss either.

Speaking from personal knowledge as a local lad, those No Entry signs are eminently visible from traffic entering the roundabout. Also, the Give Way signs are facing the traffic coming up the slip road. This would have been a left turn in excess of 270 degrees.
As well, do any SatNavs say take the first turning and not the first EXIT from a roundabout??
Sadly, another case of misinterpreting spoken directions.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick disclaimer - I am GUESSING that is the roundabout - it's the logical route from Chichester to Worthing which is the only information I had at the time (she was travelling from Chichester to pick up her best friend at Worthing and ended up driving the wrong way on the westbound carriageway of A27.

This is another tragic accident where I think there is no alternative answer to it being driver error. It does seem too easy to associate that with a satnav - as I first said, there is no evidence of it.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
This is another tragic accident where I think there is no alternative answer to it being driver error. It does seem too easy to associate that with a satnav - as I first said, there is no evidence of it.

Hopefully the results of the enquiry will make it clear why they think this is sat nav related.

andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven around there many times it is almost impossible to go onto the wrong side ...I'll have to look again next time I drive past ,but I do know 1 thing the sat nav always does right by me ..... You could also argue which make version she has as I use the TT750 while our work sat nav is co-pilot live pro with old maps and can take you on some weird routes.
Thing is people always forget the satnav is an AID not something to blindly follow
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments were purely based on looking at StreetView. I will stand corrected by people who have actually driven there.

Gerry
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timtech wrote:
GerryC wrote
Quote:

Speaking from personal knowledge as a local lad, those No Entry signs are eminently visible from traffic entering the roundabout. Also, the Give Way signs are facing the traffic coming up the slip road. This would have been a left turn in excess of 270 degrees.
As well, do any SatNavs say take the first turning and not the first EXIT from a roundabout??
Sadly, another case of misinterpreting spoken directions.

As another local. I agree....how on earth she really managed to do that manouvre beats me, but , think of how many manage to get on to a Motorway the wrong way...accidently or otherwise ! Sad but totally avoidable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: