Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Technology used to help older drivers stay on the road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Technology used to help older drivers stay on the road
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of an advert once for a job in the local council. Requirements were a car and driving licence. But for equal opportunities, if the applicant didn't have either, the council would provide a car and driver!

I once met a long distance HGV driver who couldn't read or write. Yesterday in the bus station I saw a man who had to have his girlfriend look up the bus times. He could text on his mobile though!!

As for maths, I found it something of a mystery. And although I somehow managed a GCE pass, it wasn't until I came up against xx% income tax and national insurance that it gained some meaning!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a serious note I think many older drivers do not realise they are a problem. They are only driving local roads and generally in off peak so most other road users give the extra space.

I know from personal experience a couple of years ago several members of the family approached me about my Dad ( he is 80 in a few days time) He had been driving for years but over recent time his driving had deteriorated and they were concerned.

I had a chat with him and he thought everything was fine but I went with him on his next regular eye hospital appointment, something he had been having for quite a number of years since suffering a detached retainer. I was quite shocked when I realised how poor his eyesight had become in both eyes. I asked the doctor if he should be driving. His response was not my decision, but to pass his driving eye test he should be able to read this line

AHOG

And the first line your father can read is

UVOH

When I got him home I took his car keys. little protest but he hardly spoke to me for a couple of weeks after. He thought he was safe but his sight had deteriorated slowly so he was accustom to it and could function
smartroad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
There's a 60mph single carriageway close to my home where I usually drive at between 20 and 25 mph. (30mph max).

No offence but that is something I would consider dangerous and inconsiderate if the rest of the traffic is doing 45mph+.

While I agree that the 60MPH is a speed limit and you don't have to do that speed (I travel to work on a national speed dual carriageway and sit at 60MPH to save fuel rather than the maximum 70MPH), I feel that people should be doing something close to that speed (depending on weather conditions). Obviously I dont' know the road you are on, but unless it is particually winding road most of the rest of the traffic will probably be doing 45mph+ and that could lead to potental of holding a lot of people up.

You are not probably not getting the best fuel economy from your car and it may well be costing you more money then doing 45-50!
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Regarding the "help" for older people.... Reply with quote

Goggles as shown or any other devices are not going to solve reflex problems like the mind and body parts. Making right turns may be a problem in many countries but left turns in others.
Testing for seniors on the road should be bi-yearly especially if medical issues are known.
Diving is a privilege, not a right.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No offence but that is something I would consider dangerous and inconsiderate if the rest of the traffic is doing 45mph+.

It's half a mile long, bends all the way, high hedges and when passing other cars there's about a six inch gap between side mirrors.

Now here's a thought. Would you sooner overtake a vehicle doing 30 - 35 mph, on a 60 limit single carriageway road, or one doing 50 - 55 mph?

What about 'trucks' who are limited to 50 mph?

Drive to the conditions and be 'hospitable and patient, not a hospital patient'. CoPilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: