Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Toll Roads on APay-7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Toll Roads on APay-7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Toll Roads on APay-7 Reply with quote

Hi Folks, (Alionhols?)

Even though I have done the AP-7 between Barcelona & Valencia before, I still dont `get` the toll sections between Barcelona & Salou.

These ones dont appear to work like the entrance take ticket & exit pay style you have normally, but when turn up at the toll booth you pay.

For example, I was wondering does anyone know when driving between Barcelona & Martorell, and you pay, is this for the previous section just gone over upto Martorell, or to cover the next part up to Tarragona.
At Tarragona you pay again, but then there are no toll booths when you come off at the next couple of exits even though that section is shown as a toll. So is it before or after you are paying for?

One reason I ask, is I was thinking of coming off at the T214 at Torredembarra and taking the A7 instead to L'Hospital de Infant to save a few euros on the tolls, but depending on how the sections work that may or may not be worth doing?!

Thanks,
MPW
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mpwilson99, though I do not know the specific tollbooths you mention I am aware of the type, there are several similar on the C32 from Tordera to Badalona (Our IKEA run!).

My simple reply is I don't know. I have tried to avoid this kind of tollbooth myself and ended up in knots (mentally and navigationally(!)) because of whatever you think of to avoid the charges the Highways agencies are one step ahead of you.

I think I cope with it better with a mind-shift. I'm sure you are aware that Toll Roads only exist where there is a nearby alternative "A-road" running parallel. To avoid A-road congestion through some towns & cities some Toll Roads become free if you join them immediately before the town and exit immediately after. So, rather than use the TollRoads and try to get off and back on to avoid the charges I consign my self to using the A-roads and use the TollRoads when they are free. The information signage is much better this way round too see this example for Girona.

The obvious answer is to set your SatNav to avoid TollRoads and follow its advice. Sorry, but that's the best I can offer.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply,

I have noticed before places like Girona have a free section, but not much good if you are already on the road.
I do see that there are tollboths at both end at girona, does it allow you to pass if you show a gironi ticket at the other end?

In the case of the AP-7, I think part of my confusion, is that on tt maps 885, it now shows the jn's 32 to 33 as a toll road, on previous versions its shown as a motorway ( going by colour schemes at least )
Howver from local knowledge of doing it you still seem to pay something!

Am thinking of coming off at El Venrel now and going along the N340/A7 for a nice morning drive, going by satnav times it should only be a few mins longer if that in real terms! - and will hopefully save a few euros?!

Do you know of any good spanish (or french) sites with the real toll charges on them? - The viamichelain site seems to miss out a couple like the new one at beizers.

Thanks
MPW
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girona - Agreed, the section of AP7 between jn's 6&7 is only free if you were on the N-II and joined so as to avoid clogging up Girona. If you were already on the Ap7, you have to pay for using this section.

AP7, Jn's 32-33. It appears that this is a toll section. Using Google Maps, Satellite View, toll booths are visible at both these junctions.

Quote:
....thinking of coming off at El Venrel now and going along the N340/A7 for a nice morning drive....
That's the spirit; mañana, Cool

ViaMichelin is the only web site that I am aware of which gives toll booth costs. If you do find another, please let us know.

The AP7 between Jn's 1 & 9 can also be avoided. The N-II between La Jonquera and Vidreres isn't too bad depending upon what time of year you are traveling.

Buen viaje.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buenos Días,

I might look up the N-II see what the timeframe comes out as between 1 & 9, as a guide I will be hitting the Spanish border around 6am on a Saturday morning, so would be expecting the roads to be quiet.

Just out of interest as you are near the French border, have you heard of any stories about the French authorities checking satnavs etc as they go back into France ( or from France into Spain )
Im still undecided how I manage with/without the SCDB.

Muchos Gracias
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for not replying sooner mpwilson99, Several people have already arrived ahead of the Easter "rush". I have asked three of the recent arrivals if they noticed an increase in police presence on the French motorways or any checking of SatNav's. They all replied that they hadn't noticed anything different to their previous trips.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alionhols.

Think I will go with the ole saying, "he who dont draw attention, has no attention"

The only thing I worry about, is one night i was coming off the tolls at Ponthervrard and there was a cop on every toll booth, thankfully they were not checking for headlight reflecters, but who knows next time!

If you here anymore please keep us updated.

salud!

MPW
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alionhols,

Trip went well, I didnt realise that the border control is no longer there! That saved a bit of time .

Had a lovely morning drive between El Venrel along the coast to Salou, didnt really take any longer than the toll section.

I also noticed that the toll boths on the AP7 at El Venrel have been demolished, and lots of other changes around that area.

Even though I was using the latest tt 885 map, there seemed to be lots of new roads and roundabouts I was traveling on which were not on the map, so the TT had me driving across fields. Will cross ref these with my GPS SS log later to see where I was!

Cheers
MPW

PS - Have you got any ideas what they grow in the fields around the Deltebre/Riumar area?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
Even though I was using the latest tt 885 map, there seemed to be lots of new roads and roundabouts I was traveling on which were not on the map,
Were you surprised by this? Shocked At least it appears that it did not force you to drive into a lake, up a railway line or the wrong way down a dual carriageway so that you could blame it for doing so Very Happy
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
mpwilson99 wrote:
Even though I was using the latest tt 885 map, there seemed to be lots of new roads and roundabouts I was traveling on which were not on the map,
Were you surprised by this? Shocked At least it appears that it did not force you to drive into a lake, up a railway line or the wrong way down a dual carriageway so that you could blame it for doing so Very Happy

Only slightly!, I was in freeflow drive mode not actually on a route set, so when I see an exit coming up on a road which wasnt on the TT I took it to see where it went. I was suprised as the new A-27 is on the map, so not sure why these other roads were not??
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
Hi Alionhols,

Trip went well,.........Cheers
MPW

PS - Have you got any ideas what they grow in the fields around the Deltebre/Riumar area?

Hi MPW, sounds like you had a good trip.

If you go to 40.716639, 0.80464 in Google Maps - Street View it appears that they are growing rice, lots and lots of rice I'll guess that paella and huevos mexicana are no strangers to the local menus!

EDIT - Spooky or what?
Today, 10 June, it is the festival of Rice.
http://www.deltebre.org/index.php/arees/turisme/732-deltebre-enceta-les-festes-tradicionals-de-larros-amb-la-plantada
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: