Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremypritchard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something here? This review talks as if the 1005 World is all new including it's screen, mount etc..

I've had my 1005 for over a year and this version seems like added functionality in the software but it's not a completely new device. Yet there is no reference to the previous 1005 at all?
rwgreg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting review but I would disagree with the TomTom Map data being reasonable for Europe particularly Spain. Some of the towns more inland than the coast roads can be a nightmare. It pays to have ones wits working as well as the satnav.

I have a Go720 which in my opinion worked perfectly because it didn't have any of the problems other people complained about. Like you I prefer the 5" screen so bought the XXL. The XXL would have been almost perfect if it had the SD card slot. i.e. a Go720 with 5" screen. I have followed the new 1000 series hoping they would give faster processing when going around small roundabouts in Europe but have been disappointed by the lack of usability compared to the previous series.

I keep reading the reviews hoping for the perfect TomTom so keep up the good work and please mention positional update speed. Smile
Matchlessman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the device has a built in SIM card for traffic etc updates then why does it need to be connected to a PC to update maps, Satellite locations etc.?
Surely not beyond the wit of man to allow it to connect to the TT website and update itself the way my phone can upgrade itself to a later version of software etc.
Didn't see a mention of the cost beyond year 1 for the 'Live' services.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matchlessman wrote:
If the device has a built in SIM card for traffic etc updates then why does it need to be connected to a PC to update maps, Satellite locations etc.?
Surely not beyond the wit of man to allow it to connect to the TT website and update itself the way my phone can upgrade itself to a later version of software etc.

If you want to pay about £10 a month they may add this functionality, but as you don't then you will not get the mass content delivered over wireless. With the UK taking ip about 300Mb and Europe over 1Gb it really is not practical to have OTA map updates.

The whole concept of the LIVE system is to transfer small amounts of data between the device and the server. You can see from the review that when you start to use larger data amounts the delay becomes rather long.

Your phone is an entirely different matter. You are the one paying for your data bill and you can chose to download a lot or a little data. The deal TT have with the wireless provider (Vodaphone in the UK) only allows for a limited amount of traffic.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of the dreaded....

Traffic horizon?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pottsy wrote:
No mention of the dreaded....

Traffic horizon?

Did you miss:
From the review wrote:

This is where the implementation seems to have some users up in arms. A good example of this is that TomTom recently decided to only take into consideration traffic data for a certain distance ahead of you. To a certain extent this sort of makes sense. Unless you are going round the M25 and having arrived at the junction and started going round the M25 you are suddenly hit with a 25 minute delay. It had been there all the time, but was not used in the routing calculations because it was out of range. Had I known about it I would have gone the other way round the M25 avoiding the delay.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the dreaded POI search horizon.... Evil or Very Mad
Marky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matchlessman wrote:

If the yearly subscription price was mentioned it might put people off buying. Wink Wink

found this on tom tom:
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/services/live/#tab:tab4

this on halfords, but not available to purchase:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_733141_langId_-1_categoryId_165587

this on play:
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9975758/TomTom-LIVE-Services-Pre-Paid-Subscription-Card/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:9975758|prd:9975758

Not very clear on many websites what the yearly cost is.
Marky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempted to buy a 1005 to replace my really old tomtom one....

I only needs maps of UK and Spain so are there any difference apart from the maps between a 1005 europe
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/go-live-1005-europe-apps/index.jsp#tab:highlights

or a 1005 World?
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/go-live-1005-world/

I would rather buy the Europe version if the hardware and operating system/menus etc are the same.

Mark.
Marky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more digging about and I see why I am confused, looks there are two versions of the 1005 Europe, no mention of this on Tom Toms own website that I can see....

Halfords list a 1005 V2 Europe for £269.99
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_868075_langId_-1

and a 1005 Europe for £249.97

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_788555_categoryId_165685_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1

Looks like I need a Version 2 1005 Europe...

It's not easy deciding which tom tom to buy, it is such a confusing website.
Scubades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Speed camera upload to Go Live 825 Reply with quote

In my old GO Live540, when I connected it to my computer I could see the storage like an SD card or hard drive and so could upload my PocketGPS speed cameras to the appropriate folder. But with my new GO Live825, the computer does not recognise it as a storage device so how do I upload the speed cam files? Sad
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed camera upload to Go Live 825 Reply with quote

Scubades wrote:
....But with my new GO Live825, the computer does not recognise it as a storage device so how do I upload the speed cam files? Sad

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-nav3-zip.php

It does not mention the 825 in the title but the procedure is the same.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Scubades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Speed camera upload to Go Live 825 Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give that a go
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scubades - I took a brand new TT V2 1005 world out of a box today and followed those instructions for the PGPSW database. It worked a treat.

It doesn't do itineraries though Twisted Evil
Mostyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Should I buy one Reply with quote

I have a 910 but am looking to upgrade to a 1005 world. My 910 works perfectly but I fancy an upgrade for the new features. I know I can sell my 910 on e-bay for a very good price, but the reviews for the 1005 world are contradictory.... Should I do it?

Mostyn Question Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: