Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Government Study on SatNavs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Government Study on SatNavs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Government Study on SatNavs Reply with quote

Listening to BBC this morning re. the government plans to consult the SatNav industry to ensure users keep their systems updated.
I reckon that Pocket GPS World should offer to get involved as representative of users or else the industry will saddle us with ever increasing cost of compulsory updates. I don't mind paying for decent map updates (if they actually exist) but the real problem is that most software for smartphones has a terrible shelf life before support is pulled. eg Sygic Mobile Maps 10. No map updates available as they try to force me into buying new software that I don't need or want.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government consultation is a load of hot air - providing the Govt doesn't have to spend anything (except on the expenses of MPs doing the consultation) they'll happily consult on anything!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Government Study on SatNavs Reply with quote

wrinklyninja wrote:
Sygic Mobile Maps 10. No map updates available as they try to force me into buying new software that I don't need or want.

My experiences of Sygic are just the opposite to you.

I bought MM9 (£60 in those days!) when I was using my old HTC Hero and then got offered a free upgrade to MM10. IIRC when Sygic first announced they were abandoning MM10 and changing to Aura they publicly stated (in PGPSW) that existing MM users would be given a free upgrade, but at the time my old Hero would not run Aura (needed a 3D chip or some such thing) so I did not bother.

However when I changed the Hero for a Sensation I emailed them and asked how I could transfer MM10 to the new phone - I was already using the same SD card as the Hero, so all I needed was the .apk file. Without any prompting on my part they said that MM10 was now obsolete so I could have a free copy of Aura. And I got the latest maps with it. Since then I have 2 or 3 further software updates (including a change of name to Sygic GPS) along with the latest maps each time.

So I have nothing but praise for the the way they treated me. I am not sure why you did not get the same treatment.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Sygic Reply with quote

Definitely not picking on Sygic. I think they are one of the best out there. My point is exactly what you state. My phone will not run Aura due to the 3D issue etc but there are no map updates for MM10. So unless I update my phone I am stuffed.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ... now I understand. IIRC that was the alternative they offered at the time - either upgrade to Aura free or get one last free map upgrade for MM10 and that would be it.

I must say that I have not regretted changing phones - the old Hero was struggling a bit with newer apps, although I did not realise it at the time. For example the Sensation is much smoother when changing the maps as I drive along. And I could never get the old Hero to run MM10 with CamerAlert running in the background. Now they work really well together.

When you do eventually change your phone give them an email and ask how you can get MM10 on the new phone. Use email (support at sygic.com) rather than their web based support, which is on open view to everybody, and ask them how to move MM10 to the new phone. They will probably give you the same offer as they did me.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not likely to be changing phone anytime soon. I have a HTC Wildfire which works lovely with MM10 but isn't powerful enough for a 3D app which, to be honest, I am not bothered about.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you can be sure of if the government decides anything is that thier will be an extra cost or a tax on something to do with Satnavs.
I also have the same situation with MM10 and my phone not having the graphics chip but certainly dont want to buy new phone just to upgrade.
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that, whatever happens between the government and the SatNav industry, it will almost certainly entail additional costs. This is why I reckon that the customers need representation to ensure that we have a voice to spell out why a lot of satnav users do not update. Not because they can't be bothered but because the updates are just not available. The classic example is TomTom Navigator for smartphones.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: