Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kenwood DNX7240BT CamerAlert POI & System Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenwood DNX7240BT CamerAlert POI & System Updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JesterFeckwit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Kenwood DNX7240BT CamerAlert POI & System Updates Reply with quote

I recently updated the Garmin navigation software on my Kenwood DNX7240BT system to version 3.50, although I'm not really sure why I did this, I guess I'm a bit of nerd and like to have the latest software for everything!

Following this update I could no longer load the CamerAlert (or any other) POI database into the system, each time I stuck the POI CD in I got an error saying that it couldn't be loaded and to contact support. Rolling Eyes

Well, I wasn't to be beaten and persevered, for quite a while as it turned out...

I tried burning the POI CD in various different formats (combinations of folder structure and naming) without success and following a little more research noticed that there was a system update (referred to as a "MEDIA SOFTWARE UPDATE") from Kenwood: version 1.90. Perhaps I needed to load this as well as the navigation update? Idea

After many failed attempts to actually get the system to recognise the Update CD ("kenwood" was not an acceptable disk name it seems..) I finally began the update process! Which then failed halfway through... Surprised

This was pretty scary, when the system restarted I was presented with the same update failure error message and I suspected that I had just toasted the system! Crying or Very sad

Following more searching online and I found a similar story where the guy had decided to just keep resetting the system with the Update CD in the drive and by some miracle, it eventually it completed. Well, same here! Following several power cycles the update eventually completed! Big sigh of relief.... Smile

I then presented it with the POI CD (CD Name: "garmin", Folder Structure: "/garmin/poi/", File Name: "poi.gpi") and lo and behold, the POI update worked! Very Happy

Only took me 4 hours as well!

I don't suppose that there are many DNX7240BT owners out there but I thought I'd post this just in case it helps anyone else having the same nightmare!

Kenwood & Garmin: Some work required on the "end user experience" here methinks!
bongoterry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Post by JesterFeckwit Reply with quote

I have a DNX7240BT, I've only had it a few months and have been trying to get to grips with updating via a CD. Every time I've tried this I get informed by the unit that there's a disc error, does the CD need to have a volume label and if so, what?
Excuse me while I try to plunder your knowledge, the Media Update CD, what label and directory structure did you use and the same info for the Garmin system software please. I'm pretty well conversant with file and directory (or folders as we now have to call them) structures.
Some posts have also reported that it's case sensitive too. As for loading POI's, I use the mini USB socket to connect to my PC, the unit then prompts me with Garmin or Mass Storage mode. I can (in Mass Storage) then communicate as if it were another drive and just copy the GPI file direct into the folder \Garmin\POI. Mind you, I have yet to get my unit to work on Garmin's web site, I have got the Communicator plugin Version 4.0.1 installed into Firefox, and it does work but it won't communicate with my unit, I've tried it it both Garmin and Mass Storage modes but no joy, do you have any thoughts on that cos I'm rapidly running out of them.
I have asked Garmin the question but they just say "Use the latest Communicator plugin and Firefox (even though I'd told them I was using it) and it will work", no mention of which mode to use, just it will work".

Regards Terry Bruce

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: