Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Lost alerts Reply with quote

Hello

This evening, I had some strange problem with my TomTom Start 20. I had spent quite a long time setting up the alerts for the different speed cameras but in doing so, I accidentally turned off one of the specs alerts (the one for 30mph). In trying to work out how to turn it back on again, I noticed that the bmp had disappeared from the list in the MyTomTom Community Content screen. I thought it might be something to do with my error, so I deleted the two remaining files and recopied them from the PGPS database. To my surprise, only the OGG and OV2 files reappeared, so I tried just copying the bmp file again, but I got a message saying the file was already on the device (even though I couldn't see it in the file list). Nevertheless, I found the icon when I checked on the TomTom (I had been looking in the wrong place as it had moved to a different part of the list of POI's when I removed the alert). Anyway, I decided to delete that particular category (just the 30mph one) and reinstall it. However, when I next checked the POI list, ALL the alerts, including the non-PGPS POI's had been turned off. I know this is a long shot but does anyone have any ideas what I might have done to cause all the alerts to be turned off as I don't really want this to happen again?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, the confusion over the icons can possibly be explained by this...

The later versions of MyTomTom now don't show the normal-sized icon for POIs as a separate file in the list, they just USE the icon as the image next to the .ov2 file even though the file is still there.

But there are a couple of exceptions to that....
1. The "double-sized" icon (which comes as standard in the PGPSW camera downloads) still gets shown separately.
2. If the file name for the POI is more than 22 characters long, then the icon file DOES get shown separately. This is an uncorrected bug in MyTT.

Now, as to why you lost all your warnings... I'm afraid that's one of the on-going hassles of owning a TomTom. On occasion, all of us seem to lose our warnings for no apparent reason. On the older models, it was an easy job to keep a backup copy of the MapSettings.cfg file (which holds the warning settings), but there's no way to do this on the new models.

To sum up... YOU probably didn't do anything wrong. It's just the flaky MyTomTom software and a long-term problem with the units themselves that has never been fixed in all the years I've known them.

A cynic might say that TT have no real interest in fixing the problem as MOST people use the POI warnings to install alternative Speed Camera warnings to their own. So it's in their interests to make the process as painful as possible.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
So it's in their interests to make the process as painful as possible.
Are you suggesting that they do all that screwing up stuff on purpose Shocked Question
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'd never have figured out the part about the file names myself!

Regarding the TomTom speed camera database - I know of a couple of mobile sites near to where I live but neither of them were showing up on the pre-installed TomTom database. As soon as I put the PGPS data on the device, hey presto, there they were! Well done PGPS and all those who contribute to the service.

Regards

Brian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
So it's in their interests to make the process as painful as possible.
Are you suggesting that they do all that screwing up stuff on purpose Shocked Question

----

Andy_P wrote:

A cynic might say......

Are you calling me a cynic?!?! Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Twisted Evil But you match my thoughts on the subject, so I suppose that makes me a cynic as well Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: