Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Start 25 Speed Cameras need Tomtom live services?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Start 25 Speed Cameras need Tomtom live services?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sightuponlight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Start 25 Speed Cameras need Tomtom live services? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I just purchased this device and updated the latest map and speed cameras.
For some reason the speed cameras are not working on the map.

Is it true that the speed cameras won't work unless I subscribe to Tomtom live services?

Any help will be very much appreciated - thanks in advance.

Sight.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sightuponlight. I assume that you are referring to TomToms own SafetyCameras. I don't believe that you need to subscribe to TomToms LIVE services to get TT's SpeedCamera positions to show, the LIVE subscription is for downloading active mobile camera locations. Not having a newish SatNav myself I can't advise you how to implement the regular cameras but please don't subscribe to LIVE services just yet, somebody shall be along soon with some proper advice.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sightuponlight. A few issues here....

Firstly, the Start 25 does not use TomTom's LIVE Services. Those are solely for the models that have their own mobile phone SIM card built-in, in order to receive the data on Traffic, Weather, Google searches as well as Speed Cameras.

What the Start 25 CAN get is TomTom's ordinary speed camera service. I believe you get a "one-time" update to the data when you first connect the device to your PC and run TomTom's "MyTomTom" software.

After that, it's possible to subscribe to the service - see TomTom's website for more details.

Thirdly, if you want warnings of cameras, you have to make sure you have switched on the alerts, in the "Services" menu.
Go to Services/Speed cameras/Alert settings, to set it up.
Also ensure you enable the alerts in the same menu (You have to get used to the way TomTom names it's menu items... with the camera warnings ENABLED, the menu will say "Disable alerts" (because that's what will happen if you tap the button again).
I don't have that EXACT model, so I'm guessing the menu items have the same names as my units.

Fourthly, you may be expecting too much. Although much improved over the years, TomTom's own database is still sorely lacking in many respects.
We usually advise you opt for one of the "third-party" databases such as the one from this site (see link top right).

Any questions, just ask!
sightuponlight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Hi sightuponlight. I assume that you are referring to TomToms own SafetyCameras. I don't believe that you need to subscribe to TomToms LIVE services to get TT's SpeedCamera positions to show, the LIVE subscription is for downloading active mobile camera locations. Not having a newish SatNav myself I can't advise you how to implement the regular cameras but please don't subscribe to LIVE services just yet, somebody shall be along soon with some proper advice.

Thank you for your comment regarding my satnav, AliOnHols. I wasn't gonna subscribe to tomtom services, hehehe. I've sorted the problem out by subscribing here @ pocketgpsworld. Downloaded the relevant files and cured my tomtom.

One more question: Just wondering how I can check here for the latest speed camera updates?

Last edited by sightuponlight on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
sightuponlight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Hi sightuponlight. A few issues here....

Firstly, the Start 25 does not use TomTom's LIVE Services. Those are solely for the models that have their own mobile phone SIM card built-in, in order to receive the data on Traffic, Weather, Google searches as well as Speed Cameras.

What the Start 25 CAN get is TomTom's ordinary speed camera service. I believe you get a "one-time" update to the data when you first connect the device to your PC and run TomTom's "MyTomTom" software.

After that, it's possible to subscribe to the service - see TomTom's website for more details.

Thirdly, if you want warnings of cameras, you have to make sure you have switched on the alerts, in the "Services" menu.
Go to Services/Speed cameras/Alert settings, to set it up.
Also ensure you enable the alerts in the same menu (You have to get used to the way TomTom names it's menu items... with the camera warnings ENABLED, the menu will say "Disable alerts" (because that's what will happen if you tap the button again).
I don't have that EXACT model, so I'm guessing the menu items have the same names as my units.

Fourthly, you may be expecting too much. Although much improved over the years, TomTom's own database is still sorely lacking in many respects.
We usually advise you opt for one of the "third-party" databases such as the one from this site (see link top right).

Any questions, just ask!

Hi Andy - thank you for the information you have provided. I've already completed the instructions you have provided. It didn't work. Although your procedure is correct. I wasn't gonna subscribe to tomtom - I've heard it's not as good as here. I've taken the liberty and subscribed here. Everything is working fine now. Thanks again.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version of the PgpsW cameras (V10.031) was released yesterday. To confirm the version you have, check the text within the Release.txt file which is part of the download of cameras you made from here.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
sightuponlight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
The latest version of the PgpsW cameras (V10.031) was released yesterday. To confirm the version you have, check the text within the Release.txt file which is part of the download of cameras you made from here.

Ali, thanks again. I checked the release file and it's the latest. Was I supposed to download the release.txt file into my tomtom?(I didn't)
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, That's not necessary.

Is everything working OK now ?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sightuponlight wrote:
Just wondering how I can check here for the latest speed camera updates?

If you go to this thread and click on "Watch this topic for replies" at the bottom of the page, you'll receive an email each time there's a new release of the database, usually every Wednesday.

Some people find they stop receiving the emails if they don't visit the webpage by clicking on the link within the email, but I haven't found that to be necessary.
Samsung Galaxy S21
sightuponlight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
No, That's not necessary.

Is everything working OK now ?

Everything is working fine, Ali. Thank you.
sightuponlight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
sightuponlight wrote:
Just wondering how I can check here for the latest speed camera updates?

If you go to this thread and click on "Watch this topic for replies" at the bottom of the page, you'll receive an email each time there's a new release of the database, usually every Wednesday.

Some people find they stop receiving the emails if they don't visit the webpage by clicking on the link within the email, but I haven't found that to be necessary.

Hello, Anita. Thank you for the infomation, really appreciated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: