Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Location Sharing Service - Glympse - And We Like It
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Location Sharing Service - Glympse - And We Like It
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juwlz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Glympse Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'd always advise that you use external power for any in-car GPS app usage, but that wouldn't be a solution if you weren't in a car or some other place with access to power, e.g. pedestrian mode.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, when I'm in the car I always put my phone in its car dock and charge it whether I'm using GPS apps or not Wink. I carry a portable battery charger too for emergency charging when out and about away from the car. I rely on my phone for far too many things to want to be without it.

Julie
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Glympse Reply with quote

juwlz wrote:
I agree that Glympse NEEDS to work that way, but not all GPS enabled apps do. I've just tested it on my phone, and Google Maps doesn't keep GPS enabled when it's not in the foreground - you can see the GPS icon disappear from the notification bar when you switch away. Having said that, in navigation mode, it DOES keep the GPS active - which makes sense.

Before I go to the expense of getting this free app, can you make it clear if it'll work for me. I drive with navigation from my satnav devices, not from my iPhone. My iPhone 4S (in a powered dock) simply runs CamerAlert, always in foreground. As an ignoramus I am worrying that you are saying that unless I use some sort of navigation thingy it won't tell Vera where I am?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Glympse Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Before I go to the expense of getting this free app, can you make it clear if it'll work for me. I drive with navigation from my satnav devices, not from my iPhone. My iPhone 4S (in a powered dock) simply runs CamerAlert, always in foreground. As an ignoramus I am worrying that you are saying that unless I use some sort of navigation thingy it won't tell Vera where I am?

It'll work but under iOS it only runs if it's the frontmost app, otherwise it suspends. But you can run CamerAlert in the background.

Give it a try and see?
juwlz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Glympse Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

It doesn't require any separate navigation app - it uses the phone's GPS antnenna to do the positioning for itself, and then updates your position. But, as iOS doesn't do multi-tasking, it'll need to be in the foreground to tell anyone where you are. (You could keep switching between CamerAlert and Glympse, of course. As it's a 4S, you could always ask Siri to do it Cool)

Julie
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Glympse Reply with quote

juwlz wrote:
You could keep switching between CamerAlert and Glympse, of course. As it's a 4S, you could always ask Siri to do it Cool

Julie

This is Dennis you're talking to!

He might get Vera to do it.... Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Glympse Reply with quote

juwlz wrote:
But, as iOS doesn't do multi-tasking, it'll need to be in the foreground to tell anyone where you are.

I spoke with glympse and they confirmed that it is multi-tasking capable and so will run in the background whilst CamerAlert is in the foreground.

Go for it Dennis ;)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just sent you a glympse, Darren, but I realise I'm not mobile, so with CamerAlert in foreground it won't be a proper check if it gives the latest location when it goes offline. But I confirm it was dead easy to do you one - just started typing Darren and it suggested you from my contacts list long before I had finished.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: