Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Helping Motorists Focus At Government 1st Ever SatNav Summit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Helping Motorists Focus At Government 1st Ever SatNav Summit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the software works the route out.

I have a tomtom and Navigon on a android phone up until the latest tomtom update the tomtom always chose a to me strange way to route me for the last couple of miles home ( I never followed it but ..) where are the Navigon used the route I would naturally go. Now the tomtom shows the same route nothing has changed on these roads for 30 years.

Also tomtom still shows side streets that have been a large supermarket carpark since 1999
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:

Also tomtom still shows side streets that have been a large supermarket carpark since 1999

Where, please?
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Map Updates??? Reply with quote

So much for helping to update the Navteq maps.

I reported, on 31/04/2010, there was an error on the map local to me (a "No Right Turn" restriction at a junction where there has never been a restriction) which routed me in a loop instead of a simple right turn into my estate.

I've just updated my CoPilot v8 maps an it still tries to send me round the loop and it can't be a routing error as there is no other way into my estate.

On checking the status of my report, on the Navteq map reporter site, my report is shown as "CLOSED" no reason given.

It makes me wonder why bother, after 20 months, no update. Sad
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
AirJing2010
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few GPSs but I've only ever updated a TomTom.... when I did update it, it wiped out all my saved favourites when it put the new map on.

After that, I decided that this particular "upgrade" was not worth it.

Does this still happen when you take up the TomTom regular update subscription?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AirJing2010 wrote:
I have a few GPSs but I've only ever updated a TomTom.... when I did update it, it wiped out all my saved favourites when it put the new map on.

After that, I decided that this particular "upgrade" was not worth it.

Does this still happen when you take up the TomTom regular update subscription?
Not if you copy in your Mapsettings file from your previous backup. This can cause the device to go into a continuous loop when booting up but that's easily fixed. Better still is to convert your favourites to a POI then you'll never loose them.

There are loads of threads about both on the website, including comprehensive instructions.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DennisN"]
spook51 wrote:
In north Devon last year I was instructed to turn right to avoid entering a green lane over a style!!
And I hope you bothered to send a correction to the map makers so that others are not routed down that green lane. Most people cannot be doing that, otherwise after as many years as we have had satnav, these unusable roads would not be still showing on recent map updates.

A plea to all users - if you come across a road that is not a road, PLEASE report in on the web site of the map maker.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:
I wonder how the software works the route out.

I have a tomtom and Navigon on a android phone up until the latest tomtom update the tomtom always chose a to me strange way to route me for the last couple of miles home ( I never followed it but ..) where are the Navigon used the route I would naturally go. Now the tomtom shows the same route nothing has changed on these roads for 30 years.

Have you reported it?
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Delay in updating maps Reply with quote

I was interested to read that the government thinks :"Currently it can take months to update maps" which is what I have read in several reports on the topic. Cross out months, substitute years and that is more like it. I know I have posted that we should report errors, which I have done (and it is a tedious job), but when it takes years or never to update maps, we are on a losing battle. When my last year OS map showed a road with a projected opening date, and then after it was built my new map did not show the road, and the web site of the mapping provider did not show the road, then clearly there is a major problem.

Footpaths and railway tracks and laybys being shown as roads is to me gross negligence on the part of the satnav mappers. Many of the ones I have reported have never been roads, so should never have been on the maps.

For a lot of my driving, I have gone back to the good old Ordnance Survey Road Atlas, which I can buy every year for a fraction of the cost of a satnav map "update". At a scale of 1 inch to 3 miles, it is very detailed, and I then if necessary use a satnav for the final few hundred yards. BUT if I have looked on google earth I usually do not need to do even that.
antsnest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Poor Map Updates Reply with quote

After finding myself frequently driving through fields according to my Tom tom, a few years ago I decided to do a map update, at some expense. What a complete waste of money that was. Many of the problems occurred at 'new' bypasses but none had appeared on the 'updated' map even though the bypasses had been in existence for several years. I believe GPS manufacturers are just using their map update service as an easy way of making money. The map updates are far too expensive and I would not bother to do another update.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Helping Motorists Focus At Government 1st Ever SatNav Su Reply with quote

[quote="M8TJT"]
News Team wrote:
How on earth will the government impart the common sense to people????
Ha. Thats it in a nutshell.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Helping Motorists Focus At Government 1st Ever SatNav Su Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
News Team wrote:
How on earth will the government impart the common sense to people????
Ha. Thats it in a nutshell.

Legislation.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
DennisN wrote:
spook51 wrote:
In north Devon last year I was instructed to turn right to avoid entering a green lane over a style!!
And I hope you bothered to send a correction to the map makers so that others are not routed down that green lane.

No, I didn't. When I'm driving, somebody is paying me to get to wherever, not to stop and spend however long trying to submit map corrections. That lane looked as though it had been in that state for years, not just a few weeks. The map people drive round in a van which records video or multi shot stills, from which they make the map details - why didn't they notice the grass and cow parsley and brambles as high as an elephant's eye? They don't offer me any incentive to try to note details of some error 100 miles away from home, along a road which I may or may not drive again some time in the distant future. And I'll not comment on TomTom MapShare! At least PocketGPSWorld gave me a free lifetime membership for submitting cameras to them, so every week I benefit from my reporting (which is why I still do it conscientiously every week) - If TomTom offered a bit of incentive, like maybe next map update free, I'd consider putting myself out for them.

In my novice days six or so years ago, I happily reported map errors to TeleAtlas and cameras to PGPSW. Guess which one acted on them? Guess which one thanked me for them?

It is a known fact that TomTom have, over the years, reduced the detail on their maps. It is that which is to blame for fools following them into unsuitable roads - I'd bet that virtually all the streams, narrow lanes, hump-back bridges, railway lines and similar hazards have been in existence since long before the first satnav came out. New build roads don't go into streams or railways.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Fellwalker wrote:
DennisN wrote:
spook51 wrote:
And I hope you bothered to send a correction to the map makers so that others are not routed down that green lane.

No, I didn't. When I'm driving, somebody is paying me to get to wherever, not to stop and spend however long trying to submit map corrections. That lane looked as though it had been in that state for years, not just a few weeks. The map people drive round in a van which records video or multi shot stills, from which they make the map details - why didn't they notice the grass and cow parsley and brambles as high as an elephant's eye? They don't offer me any incentive to try to note details of some error 100 miles away from home, along a road which I may or may not drive again some time in the distant future. And I'll not comment on TomTom MapShare! At least PocketGPSWorld gave me a free lifetime membership for submitting cameras to them, so every week I benefit from my reporting (which is why I still do it conscientiously every week) - If TomTom offered a bit of incentive, like maybe next map update free, I'd consider putting myself out for them.

In my novice days six or so years ago, I happily reported map errors to TeleAtlas and cameras to PGPSW. Guess which one acted on them? Guess which one thanked me for them?

It is a known fact that TomTom have, over the years, reduced the detail on their maps. It is that which is to blame for fools following them into unsuitable roads - I'd bet that virtually all the streams, narrow lanes, hump-back bridges, railway lines and similar hazards have been in existence since long before the first satnav came out. New build roads don't go into streams or railways.
Sorry you have become so embittered. I got nothing for reporting my findings - which I did later at home, as I too was in a hurry to get somewhere. BUT, I hope that in due course someone else - perhaps you - will benefit from my report. Similarly I might hope (though it seems in vain) that others finding an error will report it and perhaps save me from a future error.

It is a major issue that feedback is not always acted upon. I have an outstanding report to teleatlas from 6/7/2010 where they have acknowledged the report, agreed that a particular road is private, yet not updated the report yet as corrected. I don't have an up to date map to check. They did say thanks in their original acknowledgement email.
    Thanks for your feedback about Tele Atlas maps! We appreciate your help to identify changes and keep our maps as fresh and accurate as possible.

I see TOmTom's web site says
    The size of TomTom maps is increasing. That’s because we’re always adding more detail

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
I see TOmTom's web site says
    The size of TomTom maps is increasing. That’s because we’re always adding more detail
Without quoting the previous 5 posts. Is the increase in the size of the maps due to corrections of stuff that's been wrong for years despite people submitting corrections? Shocked

Fellwalker wrote:
Thanks for your feedback about Tele Atlas maps! We appreciate your help to identify changes and keep our maps as fresh and accurate as possible.
Does this mean that they are actually going to do something about it? Shocked
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd give TomTom's Map Share Reporter tool a try when I found out about it last year.

From the help on the web site:
What does TomTom do with my reports?
Your reports are important to us and we take time to review each one carefully. Depending on the nature of the change, it can be resolved within a few days or a few weeks. After a change is accepted, it may take some time for this to become available in a map update for your navigation device or to be incorporated into LIVE Traffic and Route Planner services on our website.

On 1st September 2011 I reported 2 obvious errors a few hundred yards apart near where I work that can be seen using Google maps and street view. I received acknowledgements straight away and they were marked as pending. Late last year I received emails about a month apart saying they had been accepted and would be incorporated in their new maps. They aren't in the latest update, and they aren't in the Traffic or Route Planner maps either.

4 months and counting...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: