Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Christmas Competition - Bumper Bag of Goodies - How To Enter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas Competition - Bumper Bag of Goodies - How To Enter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyR wrote:
I entered the competition but as soon as I'd done so I realised that I'd clicked the wrong button. Can I scrub my entry and start again please?

We've deleted your entry, please re-submit.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are 'not entering' but have entered, could it be that perhaps you left a computer logged in on our account and someone else at home, office, different computer etc has entered using your account?

MaFt
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Are you actually prevented from entering or is that just your interpretation of the rules?

I wouldn't be wasting your time and mine if I was able to enter. I get the message "You are not subscribed! You must have a valid subscription at midday on 25th December 2011 (GMT) to enter this competition." This seems to me to be an ill thought out excercise designed to irritate people whose subscription expires during the competition period but who have an auto renew with PayPal. Probably a tiny minority but you would make life so much simpler if the condition was that people should be members at the time of entering.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I can understand this is irritating for you, I don't appreciate the 'ill thought out' comment, no need for that sort of side swipe is there?

It wasn't set that way in order to frustrate anyone. we had to have a cutoff and the end of the comp seemed the obvious choice. It's an issue we hadn't considered so we'll try and fix it.

This is supposed to be a 'nice thing' to do for our member but the Christmas cheer appears to have passed you by. Shocked
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The competition rule states that you must have a valid subscription on Midday Christmas day. So, logically, if someone's subscription expires before that (whether it's 10 minutes or 10 days) then they don't have a subscription that is valid for the competition.

The whole point of coding it so that it 'blocks' users who's subscriptions are not valid for the competition is to avoid the need for manually checking everything.

If I change the code to allow those without a subscription to enter then when the winner is picked we will need to manually check that they qualify - something that the entry page was set up to do in the first place...

MaFt

PS - I'm discussing with Darren the best way to handle your situation.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
Probably a tiny minority but you would make life so much simpler if the condition was that people should be members at the time of entering.

I've credited your account with 1mth extra sub so that you can enter.

If a similar issue affects anyone else, i.e. an auto-renewing sub that is set to renew sometime on Christmas Morning, let me know and I will do the same.

For anyone whose sub is set to renew sometime between now and midnight Christmas Eve, just wait until it has renewed and then you can enter the competition.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
ill thought out excercise designed to

I'm not quite sure how the oxymoron of "Ill thought out" and "designed" should be juxtaposed.

Anyway, why not just make a note to try again after you've opened your Christmas presents?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
JimmyR wrote:
I entered the competition but as soon as I'd done so I realised that I'd clicked the wrong button. Can I scrub my entry and start again please?

We've deleted your entry, please re-submit.

I entered the competition, but I've just done a bit of research and discovered I sent in the wrong answer. Could you delete it so that I can send in another (please)? Very Happy

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how much research does it take Shocked I didn't have to do much Very Happy
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Whilst I can understand this is irritating for you, I don't appreciate the 'ill thought out' comment, no need for that sort of side swipe is there?

I took issue with your suggestion that I was posting a problem without having thoroughly investigated. If you knew anything about me you would be aware that carefully reading rules is how I make my living.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I've credited your account with 1mth extra sub so that you can enter.

Thank you but is doesn't seem to have helped the error message is still "You are not subscribed! You must have a valid subscription at midday on 25th December 2011 (GMT) to enter this competition." (and yes I have tried refreshing the browser and logging on tomy account still shows "Your subscription will expire in: "1 days, 11 hours, 3 minutes, 22 seconds"
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
I took issue with your suggestion that I was posting a problem without having thoroughly investigated. If you knew anything about me you would be aware that carefully reading rules is how I make my living.

I asked because I can't see what you see as I'd 'enetered' in the testing phase. As I hadn't wrote the code I wasn't clear on whether your query was because you'd read the rules or because you were physically prevented. It was a simple question - no more!

Jeepers!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
Darren wrote:

Woo hoo!!

tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
The competition rule states that you must have a valid subscription on Midday Christmas day. So, logically, if someone's subscription expires before that (whether it's 10 minutes or 10 days) then they don't have a subscription that is valid for the competition.

But my subscription is on a cotinuously renewing basis so actually I will have a valid subscription at the relevant time. I don't take issue with your implementation of the rules but the rule itself. If the competition was announced weeks advance I can see the point but when it is was only opened on the 22nd December it seems unduly restrictive.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
Thank you but is doesn't seem to have helped

Try now?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: