Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go Live 1005 World with SD slot now showingon TomTom UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go Live 1005 World with SD slot now showingon TomTom UK
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJHold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Go Live 1005 World with SD slot now showingon TomTom UK Reply with quote

I note that TomTom Uk is now showing the GO LIVE 1005 World with SD slot - probably with all the features and current limitations of the GO LIVE 1005 Europe (without SD slot) ... unless anyone knows otherwise.

Regards

DaveJH
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you must be mistaken about limitations. Surely if there were any then this would be deceptive advertising? Claiming accurate arrival times and "With more accurate traffic information, wider coverage and more updates" and "Detailed incident report about the duration, length and cause of delays on your route mean you have all the information you need to make a decision – whether or not to take the alternative route that is automatically offered to you if it's available." must surely mean that it covers your whole route. Surely the limit of 40 miles around you, which is what, half an hour to take any action, is not there or they'd say?

Cynical? Moi?

I just wish the ASA covered EU companies. It's a free market after all!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm such an idiot! I was stuck in my quest to get TomTom censured for deceptive advertising because they are a European company, and cannot therefore be tackled by the ASA. But Lo! There are tons of others like Halfords and Amazon who advertise their products using the same words, and not mentioning the limitations.

I shall have to find a moment to gather evidence and put in a new complaint.

"The GO LIVE Europe provides the most up-to-date, real-time traffic information for your route LIVE on your TomTom GO LIVE 1005 sat nav. Includes detailed incident reports, estimated delay times and alternative route suggestions."

That is from Halfords. I suspect that Halfords will not like being in the firing line for TomTom's issues. Would be welcome in the run up to Christmas I should think, some publicity about the poor service in the UK.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/wheretobuy/
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

More time than sense

If you don't like something, don't buy

It's that simple.

Edited by DennisN
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Last edited by xtraseller on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone looking for his Christmas bonus from Tomtom again? Twisted Evil
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, just better things to do with my time and energy than slam a product that works exceptionally well, but not perfect

When did that food item taste as described - exactly as described

When did the car drive quite as well as the ad suggested, or achieve the mileage promoted

When did your computer work perfectly, without an issue 100% of the time

When did you perform as per your CV all day, every day?

It's called marketing. Except it or move to the moon (superb comfortable travel options available)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Surely the limit of 40 miles around you, which is what, half an hour
Shocked Shocked That would be illegal in the UK
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
just better things to do with my time and energy than slam a product that works exceptionally well, but not perfect
But bags of time available to praise it Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just good with my time management! Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Quote:

More time the sense

It's that simple.

You will notice I have edited (censored) your post above. There was no need to be insulting.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very easy to think something is wonderful if you have never experienced anything better.
DJHold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: GoLive World (1005 UK, 1015 Germany) pricing Reply with quote

Notwithstanding current comments on Live Service availability and HD Traffic horizon range, the 1005 World meets many of my update requirements for what it actually does do and the geographic spread.

Unless I am mistaken the GoLive 1005 World launched in UK on 9th Nov (8GB, SD slot) is the same as the GoLive 10015 World launched in Germany on 7th Nov (8GB, SD slot) except for pricing.

If I can understand the german text on TomTom Germany and Amazon.de, the German version includes 2yrs Live services and 3 yrs map updates and is offered on Amazon.de at j295 Euro. The UK version with 1 yr Live Services only (TomTom UK) is on offer by Amazon.co.uk at £299.

For years UK consumers have paid over the odds for US software. Looks like satnavs are going the same way, and within the EU.

DaveJH
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
xtraseller wrote:
Quote:

More time the sense

It's that simple.

You will notice I have edited (censored) your post above. There was no need to be insulting.

I didn't insult, just didn't agree with the nonsense written on these forums by some - and then my positive feedback removed by people who edit other peoples posts, crazy. Some people can write what they want if they go with what the group goes with...

Quote:
It is very easy to think something is wonderful if you have never experienced anything better

Meaning. Oh that will be deleted by someone. Oh no it won't it goes with the group (read: click) thinking

I've used and currently use more sat nav units than most others on these forums, and if I think my TomTom 1000 is better than the rest - although by no means perfect - then I am free to do so

For example, my Garmin 3790 has been sent to the graveyard because of its appalling routing. and I mean worst I have seen on a sat nav since 2002

My best value at the moment is the Mio Navman Spirit 689which has superb routing (better than tomtom), very fast route calculation and a nice size screen - all for under £90

But that doesn't stop me defending the TomTom when I believe some people are purely on here to spread mis-information about their units
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
matthewj wrote:
Surely the limit of 40 miles around you, which is what, half an hour
Shocked Shocked That would be illegal in the UK

You missed the key part of my sentence, which was "to take action". The information appears that there is a problem ahead. It will take you some time to examine it safely, and for the satnav to work out if there is a faster route.

But is it not worth complaining about the loss of service? It is a fair question to ask? Why do I complain when I could just not buy? Well, for my personal situation, I was not going to renew. And as I was in the last days of my subscription, TomTom announced restoration to 160km. Hurrah, so I renewed. And then they put it back to poorer again. So I have paid for a service that TomTom have announced to the world on their Twitter feed, but I am not getting it.

So to the wider point. There are many people who are going to buy a TomTom based on the advertised claims. These claims are not accurate. In this country we have laws against false advertising. And such claims are making people make inaccurate judgments when purchasing. "This device will know about the delays on my journeys, and give me accurate arrival times - I'll buy it". Now, for a short journey inside 40 miles that is true. But for the longer journey it is not. All TomTom have to do is state the limitations and they will be accurate. This is the same as any other vendor is made to do. If BT say you have unlimited calls, they have to mention that this does not include some special lines (like ISPs) and any restrictions. Mobile internet - unlimited (fair use policy applies). Satnav traffic, range limitations apply.

Of course TomTom could fix it two ways, either technology wise (make the range work), or put caveats on the claims made. Either way is fine with me.

And yes, I do think it is a great system. If I didn't care, I'd not be doing this. But sometimes it takes a small group of people to shake the system to make it better for all. The man in the street isn't going to do this because they don't know they are being deceived. If you are happy to be deceived, I've got a lovely bridge you may be interested in...
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this then a downgrade from the HD traffic I get on my 950, which covers the entire route?

And is HD traffic for this device only for the UK or does it work in the US as well?
Thanks
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: