Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Temporary USA advice needed please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Temporary USA advice needed please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Temporary USA advice needed please Reply with quote

I remember hanging out here, must have been all of 10 years ago when I had my first Compaq PocketPC with some US software that I cant remember the name of, so not sure I should be in the beginners section but hey ho here I am.

Since then I have been through many systems (the techy in me) but for the last 3 years have had a BMW in car system, and though not the best plaything it does what it says on the tin.

I will be off on hols to Arizona next month and have been there a few times before with my then HP PocketPC etc but now not sure what to do! I am familiar with the general Phoenix lay out so just need a system to get me from A to B without paying too much for something I wont use back in the UK.

Given all that and the following I would appreciate some ideas and comments:

I have available an iPhone4 an HTC Touch HD (win 6.5) and a Holux GPSlim236. I understand I cant use the latter on the IPhone without a Jailbreak which ( as its the wife's ) I dont want to mess with!

So as I see it, with the little research I have done is find an app for the HTC and try the Holux or use an app for the iPhone. I cant seem to get a handle on how the iPhone works without Roaming which I dont want.

A quick glance at the iPhone chart shows NavMii with 1 state for £7.49*, I dont really want to spend much in excess of £20 ish.

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

EDIT * The Navmii site shows US only available on navfree version
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone able to help this guy?
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I was beginning to think I needed a change of deodorant Very Happy

I did get some help from MaFt here.

Having tried my wife's iPhone with Navfree I was quite impressed. My concern is data roamimg charges but I tried it with Data disabled with no ill effects.

My current inclination is to go with Sygic GPS USA for £10. I did try Navfree for Arizona and that looks good in demo route etc, they do not have NavMii available for US.

I will keep researching and will up date in case it can help others.

I also just ordered an iPhone 4S moving from a non GPS HTC Touch HD, so I will check the difference between 4 & 4S when I get a chance. I assume a 4S would still need Jailbreaking to use my Holux.

Thanks again

Alan
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplest would be an app for the iPhone. Roaming will be off by default and the most popular solutions such as CoPilot, TomTom, Sygic etc use maps on-board so don't require any data access for the basic nav functions.

My personal fave is TomTom but you may want to go with one of the cheaper solutions as it's just a visit.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot Standard for iPhone is now on sale. £1.99 for the whole US. http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/13/copilot-offering-good-deals-on-its-navigation-apps-this-month/
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
CoPilot Standard for iPhone is now on sale. £1.99 for the whole US. http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/13/copilot-offering-good-deals-on-its-navigation-apps-this-month/

Any idea what its like, will certainly try it, got my iPhone 4S today this CLOUD is driving me mad!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a decent app, and at that price, it's a steal! Grab it and have a play?
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:

So the latest app prices as well as above are £6.99 Live and £10.49 Live Premium up against Sygic USA @ £13.99

Recommendations?

Cheers

Alan
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Android version of both of them. I have Europe maps with my Sygic GPS and USA maps with the Copilot Live 8. I bought Copilot because Sygic was outrageously expensive - from memory about £50 and I only use the US maps when I visit out there so got Copilot for about £20 instead. If Sygic had been that cheap I would have bought it instead.

I am more used to Sygic, because I use it much more often. I used to say that it had the closest feel to Tom Tom Navigator that I used to use on my WM phone. But the new version is now very similar to Copilot in the way it operates. With both you now have to hit a small icon to get the menus up, rather than the middle of the screen.

The Copilot map display is more detailed, but that makes it a bit more difficult to read at a glance than the Sygic, which is a bit more "colouring book" like. I think the Copilot has more settings you can change - for example Sygic has only one colour scheme whereas Copilot has several to choose from.

So not a lot to choose between them really.

All of this is for the Android version, but I guess the iphone versions will work similarly.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, many thanks for that.

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: