Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map on new HTC HD2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map on new HTC HD2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Memory Map on new HTC HD2 Reply with quote

I am considering upgrading my HTC HD phone to the new HTC HD2 in November. However the HD2 will have a capacitive touch screen and I'm wondering whether this will be a problem for Memory Map. There are some references on the net suggesting that 3rd party Windows Mobile apps may not work with capacitive screens. Any thoughts?
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd talk to memory map. Their email addy is support@memory-map.co.uk.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you get an answer perhaps you'd post it here. Smile

My guess is that the touchscreen will physically work, put I believe capacitive screens are intended for fingertip rather than stylus use. You might find the "icons" (menu options and alphanumeric "keyboard", etc.) in MM are too small to select accurately with a fingertip.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
mda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I emailed Tech Support at MM and they advised that the capacitive touch screen shouldn't make a difference to how MM works although they haven't tried one yet. I think the HD2 may be the first WinMobile device with this type of screen.

That's a good point about the icons being too small Alan. I find that it is necessary to use the stylus to access the MM icons on the HD and of course the HD2 won't have a stylus. I didn't think of that. Is it still cool to walk around with a toothpick sticking out the side of your mouth?
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I find a finger nail is sufficient for most menu options in MM and use application buttons (but they don't appear to be available on the HD2) for Zoom, GPS Lock and Mark Position, then resort to the stylus for everything else. I don't know what positional accuracy a capacitive screen can achieve or if it will work with an insulating plastic stylus. A metal one wouldn't be wise to use without a Zagg screen protector, so a damp wooden tooth pick may not be a bad idea. Smile

Another potential issue is the high resolution screen which I see is 800x480 pixels. Some people complain that the MM Overlay icons (Flag and Car, etc.) are too small on VGA PDA screens. The maximum size is 32x32 pixels (I estimate about 3mm) but many of the standard icons are much smaller. I guess it depends how good your eyesight is. Wink

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
chrisdms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Memory map on HTC HD2 Reply with quote

I have recently installed MM v5 on my new HD2. Seems to run fine using NMEA on com4. Use a program called Zoomer to use multi touch which will increase the size of the icons. [http://www.slashgear.com/zooomer-adds-full-multitouch-zoom-to-htc-hd2-1663552]
Underdog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Why did I bother? Reply with quote

Team,

I have just got TomTom 7 and after help from members of this fine site, got it working fine. 2 days ago, my Vodafone business advisor called me in to recomend a new upgrade to the HTC HD2
Everything would work fine and much faster, he said..... Ha
I can not get TomTom 7 to work at all. The message = 'TomTom is not designed to work on this device'
The internet has posted some work arounds which include installing a cab file but I would welcome any input from yourselves please......
The only other complaint I have about this great phone is that it does not support 'Voice Dialing'..... dame it....!

Kind regards
Mike
southtynesider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Memory Map on HTC HD2 Reply with quote

Hi
I use Memory Map V5 and I would like to buy the new HTC HD2 phone. Does anyone have experience of using this combination? Are there any problems with installation and is there any lack of functionality as the HTC HD2 does not have any dedicated keys for zoom, map scale etc.? Any problems using the capacitive screen? I noticed "chrisdms" has installed the app - I would appreciate feedback before I purchase.
Many thanks
Johnerz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new stylus out for capacitive touch screens, look on ebay. I have no idea how good they may be, can;t get an hd2 until the end of next month Sad
gios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trialed a HTC HD2 a few weeks ago and loading such as the Yorkshire Dales 1:25,000 scale Memory Map onto it from my PC was no problem. GPS, zooming and search for place etc all worked fine. Only difference from using it on my earlier phone (HTC Tytn II) was that it would only zoom down to a scale of 0.2 of a mile not the 500 ft scale it gave on the Tytn. Didn't have chance to see if could be fixed as it's nice to get down to the 500ft scale in certain places

Alas, I didn't keep the HD2 as decided for various reasons to switch to a HTC Hero on Android and am therefore struggling to use Memory Map on it - something will hopefully come up in the future though!
EssexBuoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alas, I didn't keep the HD2 as decided for various reasons to switch to a HTC Hero on Android and am therefore struggling to use Memory Map on it - something will hopefully come up in the future though

There is an app for Android - MM Tracker Free - works with MM maps.
However quoting from the developer's blurb "MM Tracker works only with unencrypted QCT maps!". Consequently I am unable to comment on the usability or otherwise... or provide a link...

MM are still saying that an Android version is 'imminent' (I paraphrase!), but they've been saying that for months. MM is not a vital app to me (mobile anyway, it's important on PC 'cos I use it almost daily), but it's a shame that my PDA died (or the charging socket fell off...) 'cos that really worked well with MM.
morfis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EssexBuoy wrote:
Quote:
Alas, I didn't keep the HD2 as decided for various reasons to switch to a HTC Hero on Android and am therefore struggling to use Memory Map on it - something will hopefully come up in the future though

There is an app for Android - MM Tracker Free - works with MM maps.
However quoting from the developer's blurb "MM Tracker works only with unencrypted QCT maps!". Consequently I am unable to comment on the usability or otherwise... or provide a link...

MM Tracker will open the current 1K50 and 1K25 OS maps provided by Memory Map without a problem on my HD2. However, it doesn't (yet?) offer the full feature set of Memory Map which I use on a second HD2
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MM Tracker will open the current 1K50 and 1K25 OS maps provided by Memory Map without a problem on my HD2. However, it doesn't (yet?) offer the full feature set of Memory Map which I use on a second HD2

I have just purchased the latest full version for my new desire hd (£6)and can confirm that it opens all my .qct files (even New zealand)and that it does everything that memory map does as well or better

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: