Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Profits Fall - Share Price Nosedives
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Profits Fall - Share Price Nosedives
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Serves the them right! Reply with quote

Richard_GPS wrote:
I was a potential customer looking to upgrade my TomTom.... they decided NOT to allow user POIs so like lots of others I kept my money in my pocket & stayed with my 720. Very Happy

So as far as I'm concerned it serves the them right! The had an excellent product & tried to bully the end user and we voted against them.

I agree with this and similar sentiments already expressed. I too am wanting to upgrade but I find this business of what models will and wont do now and may or may not do in the future to be very confusing. I want to buy a device and be confident I know what it does straight out of the box and that it does what I want.

Forums such as this are absolute goldmines for information from end users who have spent much of their own time trying to figure what isn't immediately obvious about how devices work. I am grateful for that and have picked up many useful tips from this site over they years.

However I would prefer if TomTom (et al) were a bit more plain speaking themselves so I don't have to spend hours searching threads on here for information that I need. It sounds as though the market for PND's is in decline, (though personally I would prefer to stick with PND rather than integrate with other devices). So TomTom are dealing with a shrinking market and they p***ing existing customers of as well.

well that's my 2p's worth ....
tomtom_shareholder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Serves the them right! Reply with quote

jeta1 wrote:
Richard_GPS wrote:
I was a potential customer looking to upgrade my TomTom.... they decided NOT to allow user POIs so like lots of others I kept my money in my pocket & stayed with my 720. Very Happy

So as far as I'm concerned it serves the them right! The had an excellent product & tried to bully the end user and we voted against them.

I agree with this and similar sentiments already expressed. I too am wanting to upgrade but I find this business of what models will and wont do now and may or may not do in the future to be very confusing. I want to buy a device and be confident I know what it does straight out of the box and that it does what I want.

Forums such as this are absolute goldmines for information from end users who have spent much of their own time trying to figure what isn't immediately obvious about how devices work. I am grateful for that and have picked up many useful tips from this site over they years.

However I would prefer if TomTom (et al) were a bit more plain speaking themselves so I don't have to spend hours searching threads on here for information that I need. It sounds as though the market for PND's is in decline, (though personally I would prefer to stick with PND rather than integrate with other devices). So TomTom are dealing with a shrinking market and they p***ing existing customers of as well.

well that's my 2p's worth ....

It would make sense (apart from releasing the Android app this year) that they would make personal navigation devices that you can configure yourself at home, based on your specific needs. In that way, production of hardware could be reduced from 20+ models to two (a 4,3" and a 5"). It would probably save a lot of production costs.

Now they are very much dependent on retailers, who (I tried this) can't really tell the difference between all the different models, and don't know what HD traffic is. (especially when you are being adviced by a 16yo chap)

TomTom now complains that people go for the entry level models. But as stated on the pocketgps review of the start20, this is a new entry-level model that looks like a higher end. I can imagine that by the looks people who are not that into GPS think that this model is good enough for them. (and for entry-level it's quite complete too, it only lacks HD traffic).

That's another thing I don't understand. If I don't choose for the HD traffic option (because I don't travel that much), and later on I want to upgrade, because I do travel more (for instance: a new job), then one should be able to upgrade a device with HD traffic. But they can't.

Obviously one could say: why make hardware without anything on it? That's just a too small step from a smartphone. Well, that's probably true, but you can then create hardware that specifically suites the purpose of GPS. For instance, I've seen people navigate with a smartphone that has a small and glaring screen. With a cheap but good piece of hardware this can be solved.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Serves the them right! Reply with quote

tomtom_shareholder wrote:
That's another thing I don't understand. If I don't choose for the HD traffic option (because I don't travel that much), and later on I want to upgrade, because I do travel more (for instance: a new job), then one should be able to upgrade a device with HD traffic. But they can't.

TomTom used to have a way around this issue in way of a HD Traffic charger lead, the sim card and modem were built in to the ciggy lighter plug end of the cable, it was promised for European distribution when they launched the x20 series, it was only ever sold in Holland which left a rather bitter taste with a lot of users of their product range.
Based upon the above broken promise a lot of experianced log term users will looking at the current promises of Itinerary Planning etc with a rather sceptical view which is fully understandable.

Would I personally recommend any of the current product range and the simple answer is no, a botched PC Interface software, no ability to back up the product to your computer, no remote control and no audio output via Bluetooth with the latter two items not even mentioned for future release - Mike
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Serves the them right! Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Would I personally recommend any of the current product range and the simple answer is no, a botched PC Interface software, no ability to back up the product to your computer, no remote control and no audio output via Bluetooth with the latter two items not even mentioned for future release - Mike

I've been following this site for years and have a great deal of time and respect for those who run the site. When I see a comment like this one from Mike .... then I know something is wrong ... what a shame that TomTom do not have an effective system for gathering customer feedback ... they obviously don't want it.

I have money to spend right now on a new navigation product ... but I simply can't justify buying a new unit only to be part of a product development program. This is such a shame because 'HD Traffic' is a really good service.

In fact my lack of faith in TomTom goes further ... I have a 550 Live on which my 'Live' subscription has just run out. At this time I have not renewed my live subscription because I do not trust TomTom. My 550 works well because it has never been near TomTom Home and I don't want it to. If I could pay for another years service without connecting my 550 to a computer then I would. However TomTom's information is not clear about the renewal, yes it certainly is easy enough to go on line and part with money to renew the subscription but it isn't clear how the update will be enabled. as much as I like and value HD traffic I am not renewing just now because the upgrade path is not clear. I simply do not trust TomTom, now that is a sad state of affairs. But what is even more sad is that I don't think TomTom give a stuff!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I recently decided to ditch my Talex in favour of a SatNav/PGPSW database option my decision to buy Garmin instead of TT was based purely on TT recently removing the option on some units to install 3rd party POI's.

Not being sure whether I would have to hack around with the software to enable cameras I decided a Garmin was a safer bet.

As you say, TT don't give the impression they listen to customers or they think they know better.

TT units now potentially have reduced traffic coverage and the inability to load 3rd party cameras, depending on TT model according to posts here.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: