Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom1005 Live vs. Navigon70 Premium Live. Which is better?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom1005 Live vs. Navigon70 Premium Live. Which is better?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Didimos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all BigPerk Smile It IS my first GPS device, so UI comparisons are anything but waste of time trying to make up my mind.
I went through most of the posts on 70 premium live and I pointed out some basic troubles (it's patchy (many bugs to be fixed) bringing down reliability, updated ROM versions usually don't fix previous problems). I have also read about cases where devices were sent back for replacement (unlike your case,right?) and the new devices were no much better Evil or Very Mad .. BUT all agree that people in Navigon DO try hard to improve their products.
So, I am still confused Confused
Has any of the above minuses been improved or fully eliminated ?
Any similar problem for the 1005 live?
Which ROM version is the best so far(for the 70 Pr. )?
Cheers
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it took a while to beat my way through to get a properly working 70 Live! But the Navigon support people were at least on my side. And in the end, they gave me several freebies, such as sightseeing and extra voices, for my troubles which added up to about £50. In addition, for all my rabbiting to their support, and on their Facebook page, I got a voucher for Sixt car/van hire worth about £220, so I don't feel too bad about things Razz (kids moving this year, so will come in very handy!).

The biggest issue I (and others) had with the 70 was with the Voice Control function which very often didn't work properly (it would cut out before you could get your command in, or just not activate). Navigon still haven't officially sussed that one, but a user on the german forum I mentioned came up with the solution (I'll probably tell Navigon soon, to see if I get more goodies!). So I'm pretty happy with it now.

In short, support takes quite a bit of beating (but needs it sometimes Rolling Eyes ), and they do have a good customer attitude. Also I like the way that, when they bring out a new unit with new facilities, they will usually offer an update package on earlier 'legacy' models. And their hardware is always pretty good. Where they have problems sometimes at the moment is with software updates - these seem to suffer from 'more haste, less speed (and testing?)'; they get sorted, but it can be a frustrating period in the meantime.

As you will realise, I'm a Navigonite, not a TomTommer, which will be your main difficulty in making YOUR decision from this forum - we all know and love (& hate) the ones we use! Laughing Twisted Evil Rest assured, whichever you go for, you'll soon be joining one set of moaners or the other on here!
Didimos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again BigPerk Smile It seems that Navigon's policy for compensations is pretty decent Very Happy Exclamation I hope though there will be no need for such an action in my case Shocked

But I still have some questions:

1) What about the present-latest- ROM in the 70 premium live? Does anyone knows whereas it's running ok?
2) Which is the best ROM so far?
3) Does it make any difference if I buy a TT or Navigon from the official website or from any retailer? I don't care so much about the price difference -unless it can not be overlooked-, but is there any difference in technical support/warranty?
4) Any suggestions for retailers in UK?
Cheers
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didimos, by reading numerous reviews I think that if/when TomTom eventually release all of the functions/add-ons that they say that they shall for the 1000/1005, it shall be the SatNav that all others are compared to. It will be the Killer SatNav.

If you really must have a SatNav now, today, buy the cheapest SatNav or App that fulfills your immediate needs and hold off from buying the 1000/5 until TT actually release the functions that they say they shall.

Notwithstanding the above and apart from a few glitches, Navigon users seem more than happy with the functions that their SatNav's already provide.

And if that's not Sitting on the fence! I don't know what is! Rolling Eyes

Edited for spelling.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right, my Navigon 40 doesn't include LIVE traffic, where as my Go 1000 does, but my understanding of it is that the LIVE traffic on Navigon currently only provides a better method of delivery (mobile date rathan than FM), but still only reports on problems where the old road data system works - but simply now can access this data more reliably

On the other hand TomToms HD Traffic really is very cleaver. Collating data for ALL roads, all of the time, whereever you have a (vodafone) data signal. Its not perfect, but very impressive. It seems others systems will follow over the next 12-18 months

As for comparision between 40 and 70, my understanding from use of and detailed reading of their specification, is that in fact their featureset is VERY similar, except screen size and processor speed improvement. Like most Navigon units, they bang everything in to them

If traffic isn't the killer feature for you, and just want to get from A to B reliably then you may want to save £100 and go with the new Navman 685 which comes in at under £100 at http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/mio-navman-685-eu-copy-i38843.html

Like all Navman units they are the easiest to use for A to B routing, generally provide very good route choices, have TomTom Traffic History built in and their new units - above - also provide a choice of 3 routes for each journey. Its also a good 5" screen - all in all a great sub-£100 unit that will provide a good introduction to sat nav without the trouble of either Navigon and TomTom units - testement to their easy use, they generally sell to non-tech users who just switch them on in the car and go (which is probably just as well with Mios update policy!) but they are great units which I am always fond of

Full details at http://eu.mio.com/en_gb/mio-spirit-685.htm

Let us know your choice, and then your experiences!!!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Didimos,

Can't asnswer all your queries, but can offer a couple of suggestions on the retailer question.

As far as prices go, apart from special offers on the Navigon site (and I assume TT's similar), you will only find discounts at retailers. But be cautious about very cheap prices, which can be because the model is not the latest release, or not all accessories are included - try and check as much as possible. I've usually bought at Navigon simply because they sometimes offer great intro pricing (once by mistake, as I found out after I got a really good bargain!).

As for retailers, I've used Handtec a few times and found them good. I would also be happy with Amazon (but check carefully as above) as I use them a lot generally. Their returns and support policy is very good, and for Navigon models, they are a bit more convenient as they are UK based.

Halfords is also an option. You will often get very good deals there, and can try out lots of alternatives, BUT they can be a bit 'tricky' about their retailer responsibility - eg "you will need to return it to ..., as it's a manufacturer problem". They can take a bit of bullying, but will stump up in the end. Also you have to be quite firm about what you want - their staff have 'recommendations for you', which are tied more to their bottom line than to your requirements (and some staff either don't know what they are talking about, or are ex-used-car salespeople Rolling Eyes ).

You can also find some other good retailers in the threads on here in "Retailers to buy from or avoid".

And, if you haven't made the choice yet, I couldn't agree more with xtraseller and AliOnHols. If you are new to all this, it's much better to start small (& cheap) with good straightforward models as they recommend, so that you can actually find out what will be most useful to you before you enter megabuck country. Cheap does NOT mean nasty if you go for recommended models.

Good luck Razz !
Didimos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BigPerk Smile . Wisely, I could go for a small and cheap device now to do my job and look for something better later on. But I think I'll wait a bit more. By the way, I was advised from both 1000 live and 70 premium live owners in the German pocketnavigation site to wait till September. Both devices face problems but TomTom and NAvigon are working on them. Besides, it's not that urgent to buy a navigator now, I can definitely survive till Autumn and hopefully things will be much better then.

Cheers
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didimos - I see harco in "Satmap or not?" says he has been impressed with SatNav Warehouse. I checked and they are doing a 70 Premium Live for £239 (Navigon website is £299). So another supplier to think about (unless others disagree with harco!).
Didimos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked it too BigPerk. No doubt it's a good offer . But I think I'll wait a bit more. Navigon and TomTom have still some work to do to improve their devices. Hopefully in September things will better Wink
Cheers
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully things will be better in September Didimos, but then in September, we will all be hoping things will be EVEN BETTER come January and so on...

Its a never ending cycle and, you just need to get yourself a decent unit at the time you need to use it

To be honest, any of the TomTom, Garmin, Navman or Navigon new units will do its job well - most things are just personal preference to map displays and menu systems as long as you go with a) brand new unit release and b) one of these leading brands

Now where is my diary, to circle September...
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: