Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom speed icons
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom speed icons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Tomtom speed icons Reply with quote

I have downloaded and using the standard speed camera files and icons after changing the images from bmp to png. I find that the standard icons for speed cameras are too small for the screen. Is there a way of substituting some that are a bit bigger for use on the iPhone?
I remember doing this for the stand alone Tomtom units. Thanks.
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I don't seem to get the warning on the top left hand side of the picture in the installation guide. Do I need a new map configuration file each time I upload the new ova files? I seem to have no warnings either.
I am really out of sync with doing this since having the iPhone. I may need to start from scratch with the installation guide.
Doug
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, Are you using an iPhone4 per chance as the icons do indeed appear small when using normal sized ones (22x22) I use a set that are 44x44 and these appear slightly better although larger than the standard TomTom icons which seem to be 32x32. Note these figures only apply to the iPhone4.
When I get chance I will be rewriting the instructions for doing this along with some new downloads which will cater for both pre and post iPhone4 (although thats going to cause issues in its self when users choose the later icon pack for a 3G/ 3GS product!
I had every intension of doing this tonight but after an extended day at work including 240 miles on the M6 the best I can offer will be tomorrow as I don't want to make mistakes! - Mike
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. I have downloaded the latest ov2 files, the ogg and bmp files (renamed png) from the Iphone installation guide and put them all in the correct folder using DiskAid. The only problem I have is the mapsettings file. I have used the one from the installation zip file as this is the only one I can find.
Now on running a demo with no GPS past a known Gatso, I get the voice warning but get a small red square with a black triangle underneath. Nothing else. What am I doing wrong? Is the mapsettings file the problem as it is dated 27/11/10.
Thanks for the time to get the new instructions done. And yes, I am using a jailbroken Iphone 4.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
.... and bmp files (renamed png)

This may not be relevant at all for these particular icons, but I think there were some posts yesterday suggesting that simply renaming POI icons from .bmp to .pmg is a bit of a "kludge". Far better to actually convert the files from one format to the other.

(This might be simply because some of the POI icons used here are only 8bit and for the iPhone they MUST be 24 bit).
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
I think that must be right because all the other POI files I have renamed appear as a red square /black triangle bottom image, nothing like the picture shows in the POI list on the phone.
How would I convert them?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:

How would I convert them?

Google "BMP to PNG" for dozens of free converters.

In fact, even MS Paint (which is included with all versions of Windows) can do it, as described here http://www.bmptopng.com/ so if you have any image editing program it may well do it.

What I'm not sure of is whether you need to convert the 8-bit bmps to 24-bit BEFORE you save as .png, or if the converters do it for you.
(I know there are 8-bit and 24-bit flavours of .png too!)
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. I should have removed that sentence as I had googled it already. I decided to remove all the additional files in that folder and start again. I must have screwed up as on opening Tomtom, all I got was a browse map screen. So I deleted it and reinstalled it. I will wait for Mike to update the iPhone installation files then try again.
Thanks for your excellent advice, as always.
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys. If I download the ogg and png files from the iPhone installation guide, then download the latest ov2 files, where do i get an appropriate mapsettings.cfg file please?
Thanks
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: