Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic zones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic zones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Traffic zones Reply with quote

Hmm, not happy about TomTom's current "traffic zones" where they give you only traffic in your current region. I'm sure I've had wider regions in the past.

As I sit here in the office in Kendal, I can see that there is at least 30 mins delay due to an accident closing the fast lane near Congleton, just south of Manchester. The first one is at J20, and another later. Being such a big arterial road, this should be included in any traffic info. As it is, I'll be driving for 30 mins or so before I "find out about it". The furthest away appears to be north of Manchester.

On the other hand, the TomTom HD traffic on the web is good, and the Traffic England motorway flow is great as it shows me the camera on the incident and so I can see when it is cleared away. Or not.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT have reduced the radius where Traffic incidents are used or shown.
But their theory is that because the traffic is constantly changing, then the situation will be different when you get there, so the current jams a long way away should not be used in the calculation of the route.
However, as you drive, the situation is constantly refreshed so it always takes into account the traffic delays in a ~50 mile radius.

Agree with it or not, that's their reasoning....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Agree with it or not, that's their reasoning....

And it seems to work too. See HERE.

However, this morning's circumstances are a case where perhaps it's not entirley a good idea on their part. M1 closed for all those travelling to the FA cup semi final from up north (Manchester). They might wish to consider coming down M5 then from Gloucester to Swindon and along M4 rather than M40. But you decide before reaching Birmingham, long before the Live device tells anything about M1.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I use that example in "another place" please, Dennis?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route I would take from Blackpool to North London if travelling today (or most other days) is:

M55
M6
M5
M40
M25

Using the first stretch of the M5 to head South to the West of Birmingham is faster then the usual M6/ M40 and just as good as using the Toll road in time taken, I have never had IQ Routes suggest this route though - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Certainly, no problem.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The route I would take from Blackpool to North London if travelling today (or most other days) is:

M55
M6
M5
M40
M25

Using the first stretch of the M5 to head South to the West of Birmingham is faster then the usual M6/ M40 and just as good as using the Toll road in time taken, I have never had IQ Routes suggest this route though - Mike

Me too Mike EXCEPT today with bottom end of M1 closed - that's the route being advised on the radio so I dread to think what the M40 is like. Should be just about nightmare by now Laughing remember - 65,000 Manchester supporters going to Wembley!!

matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I travelled the journey, and it was a while before the TomTom saw the blockage. Rather funny really as it seemed to come in chunks - obviously the nearest appeared, then after a few miles the next one appeared. So I skirted through Manchester following its suggestion, and it put me back on the motorway just at the last mile of traffic. Which was static when I rolled down the on ramp, but did start moving in a minute or two, and wasn't bad.

Interestingly, I'd left at about 2pm, and the highways agency info said "normal flow expected at 2.30". I went past at 4.30, and lane 3 was coned off, but no one was doing anything there.

I heard about the M1 later, and I think that the policy of the nearer zones is probably good, but should be bigger for motorways. Thus you might get incidents within 50 miles on local roads, but 150 miles on motorways. And major closures perhaps always.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Just crossed my mind, Andy, would I be able to claim second home allowances like the rest of the people in "another place"?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes..... but you have to pay to have the moat cleaned yourself these days. Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: