Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Damaged my 530 changing battery.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Damaged my 530 changing battery.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Damaged my 530 changing battery. Reply with quote

I recently changed my battery on the 530 as it had failed and whilst doing this, a tiny surface mount capacitor (I assume it is a capacitor as it is marked as C218 on the board to the right of the battery) fell off and I cannot find it. This has removed the bluetooth capability from the unit, otherwise it still works OK.

Has anyone any ideas on how I could replace this capacitor as I have no idea of its specifications? I believe I could fit one if I could get one.

If I cannot fix the bluetooth I will have to connect the TMC into the car aerial and use that for the traffic. Once the 530 map updates subscription runs out, the 940 will be used instead of the 530 then I will have look for a 940 replacement.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't help with your electrical problems but you could always ask TomTom to transfer the map update subscription to the 940 - why are you looking to replace the 940?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 530 has the UK map subscription which is cheaper than the 940 Europe subscription (which I also have).

We need two SatNavs, so the 940 would likely take the place of the damaged 530 and I would buy the latest and best in place of the 940, only there is nothing I consider a worthwhile upgrade at the moment.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The 530 has the UK map subscription which is cheaper than the 940 Europe subscription (which I also have).

It did occur to me after I pressed submit that the difference in maps might be a problem, that's the main reason I stuck with the 550 over the 750 - is it possible to update just part of a map on the 7xx / 9xx?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
is it possible to update just part of a map on the 7xx / 9xx?

No you can only update the full map:

Western_Europe for the 7xx
Western_Europe and/ or North America for the 9XX

- Mike
Edmo117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Damaged my 530 changing battery. Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I recently changed my battery on the 530 as it had failed and whilst doing this, a tiny surface mount capacitor (I assume it is a capacitor as it is marked as C218 on the board to the right of the battery) fell off and I cannot find it. This has removed the bluetooth capability from the unit, otherwise it still works OK.

You are correct in saying C218 is a capacitor. I have a GO730 and C218 is next to the battery on mine too so they probably use the same basic PCB.

If it has stopped something working then chances are it is being used as a coupling capacitor to transfer signal from A to B in the circuit somewhere.

Usually, manufacturers stick to a limited number of values and, in general stick to multiples of 10. So it could be 100pF, 1000pF, 10,000pF, 0.1uF, 1uF etc.

Without removing mine from the board and measuring it, my best guess looking at it would be 1uF 0603 as a start. 0603 is the size of the physical size of the capacitor. If that does not work you could try 10uF 0603

I cannot beleive that putting an incorrect value there will do any damage BUT do be VERY careful when soldering, C219 is quite near and you don't want to do more damage.

If you are going to upograde anyway, you have nothing to loose so go for it!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Edmo, that was the information I was looking for.

The soldering will be the tricky part, I have a fine enough tip but my concern is holding the component in place and not moving it with the tip. it is so small even my smallest tweezers will not hold it. Any advice here?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen these, but if the PCB is anything like other modern kit I tried soldering wires too, the soldering bit will be about 100 times bigger than it ought to be. I tried soldering to a digital recorder PCB and destroyed it big-time. Incredibly hard. The next one was just as bad and I got someone professional to do it.

Me, I'd leave it as-is if it is mainly working! Confused
Edmo117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Thanks Edmo, that was the information I was looking for.

The soldering will be the tricky part, I have a fine enough tip but my concern is holding the component in place and not moving it with the tip. it is so small even my smallest tweezers will not hold it. Any advice here?

The only way to hold these parts is with tweezers - if yours are not fine enough, get some finer ones....it is the only way. You should clear any debris from the two solder pads first, then put a VERY small amount of solder on one of the pads. Next hold the capacitor in your tweezers and place it in position. Then just lightly touch the soldering iron onto the end where you put the solder and the part should drop down to touch the PCB as the solder melts, quickly remove the iron. That is one end done so now just put a VERY small amount of solder on the other end and ....job done.

You shoud practice first is you can on any scrap electronic PCB you have so that you feel more confident. Use fine solder - 0.4mm dia or smaller and keep your iron clean and don't leave it in contact with the PCB or the component a moment longer than needed to melt the solder and make a good joint..............End of lecture.........Hope it helps.

I have been in Electronics for too many years and now this surface mount stuff is here, and my eyes are not as good as they were, believe me it is not easy......BUT it can be done. I have a magnifying headband that I use to see this sort of stuff....it all helps.

Good luck
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, even your smallest soldering iron tip is going to seem huge when you try this, but it CAN be done.

The best advice I can give is to get hold of some solder PASTE. A tiny amount of this on each end of the capacitor will temporarily "glue" it in place on the PCB, while you can poke it gently with long-nosed tweezers or something like a cocktail stick, to get it into position.

Then hold it down with the cocktail stick in one hand, while very briefly using the other hand to touch each end with the iron to melt the paste.

One of those large illuminated magnifiers on an anglepoise arm or a decent light and a watchmakers eyeglass are almost essential too, in my (eyes failing) experience.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmo117 wrote:

I have been in Electronics for too many years and now this surface mount stuff is here, and my eyes are not as good as they were, believe me it is not easy......BUT it can be done.

Likewise, the old eyes are the problem. The last fiddly soldering job I did was soldering many wires to the legs of a surface mounted processor on a games console. At least it was fixed in position.

I will practise on some old broken memory chips I have before trying the Go.

Thanks to both of you for the advice.
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good video-series actually-on youtube;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I used a 1uF 603 for C218 and bluetooth is restored and traffic working again. It took four capacitors, three are somewhere in the room after flying out from the tweezers and one is soldered, albeit at an odd angle to the flat to the board.

I ended up have to hold the board in a clamp and also clamping a jewellers loupe above it so I could see enough detail to do it. Never again.

I suppose if the battery ever goes on the 530 again, it will be easy to remove, as I used a much weaker tape. I hope the 940 battery does not need replacing for a long time, but it is nearly the same age.
Edmo117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Excellent! I used a 1uF 603 for C218 and bluetooth is restored and traffic working again. It took four capacitors, three are somewhere in the room after flying out from the tweezers and one is soldered, albeit at an odd angle to the flat to the board.

I ended up have to hold the board in a clamp and also clamping a jewellers loupe above it so I could see enough detail to do it. Never again.

I suppose if the battery ever goes on the 530 again, it will be easy to remove, as I used a much weaker tape. I hope the 940 battery does not need replacing for a long time, but it is nearly the same age.

WELL DONE THAT MAN!!!!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmo117 wrote:

WELL DONE THAT MAN!!!!!

Ditto!

MrT wrote:
Never again.

Shame.. you might find a lucrative sideline in fixing them. Laughing
I'm sure I remember other people reporting similar failures when they tried a battery replacement and got a little heavy-handed.

Was it easy to find the right capacitors? A link might be handy for the future.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: