Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Home Version 2.8.1.2218 Released (+ forced update issues)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Version 2.8.1.2218 Released (+ forced update issues)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Home Version 2.8.1.2218 Released (+ forced update issues) Reply with quote

The latest Windows version of Tomtom Home has now been updated to 2.8.1.2218. Apparently it's another so-called "critical update".
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it needs to be ,I think home is awful and doesn't work very well yet ,although it is getting better ....thanks for the update d/l as I type
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.8.1.1109 on the Mac.

No idea what difference it will make though - if any.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my test of this new version would be to copy the device application to the computer, then see if it is available to redownload from 'Items on my computer'. I can't do this with the current version.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
I think my test of this new version would be to copy the device application to the computer, then see if it is available to redownload from 'Items on my computer'. I can't do this with the current version.

Are you sure that isn't just because it's still on the device?
Maybe it would show up if you didn't have it installed already.

Home does a lot of wacky things like that. For example. it won't let you download stuff from their servers if you already have it on your PC.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8.351: In "manage my Go" it showed as being on computer [two copies in fact]. There is one TOC file. In "Items on my computer" no sign of it.

v9.058: "manage my Go" says it is on computer. No TOC file. Obviously not in "Items on my computer".

I'll play with the new version tonight.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still can't operate my device with win 7 after the update.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new version does NOT allow the user to uncheck the install option for any new applications offered. While, in most cases, this is not an issue, there are compelling reasons why some users do not wish to move to a higher application for their specific model.

They are forced to with this version of Home.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just found that out...I am still with V8.371 on my Go 940 after all the problems with V9.058, so have always unchecked the Navcore updates. Now with V2.8 I simply can't update my device anymore, as to do the map and camera updates I now have to do the Navcore update.

Really getting quite fed up with this, I've been nagged to update to Navcore 9.058 everytime I update, and now if I roll back to Home V2.7, I'm going to be nagged to update that everytime too.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
and now if I roll back to Home V2.7, I'm going to be nagged to update that everytime too.

No... it's worse than that.
In another forum topic I suggested rolling back to v2.7 and even provided a link to get it, but every time you run it, it AUTOMATICALLY updates back to v2.8.

So we're stuck with it!
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried rolling back to 2.7 and you are absolutely right, in Win 7 it just asks to update, you say no, so it shuts down Home. Snookered.

Absolutely barking. They have just effectively killed my GO 940, as I can no longer update it, despite having just paid for another years worth of Map updates.
mikechad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
Just tried rolling back to 2.7 and you are absolutely right, in Win 7 it just asks to update, you say no, so it shuts down Home. Snookered.

Absolutely barking. They have just effectively killed my GO 940, as I can no longer update it, despite having just paid for another years worth of Map updates.

Here Here
Confirm this happens with Windows XP as well.
Another TomTom live540 device that cannot be updated now.
This is totaly Fashist software, removing all choice from the end user...Me
Mike
jacknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: this is how to solve your issue Reply with quote

Hi everybody

The solution is to uninstall TTH 2.8,
then reinstall TTH 2.7,
finally change TTH version in application.ini

as described here
http://www.tomtomax.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=23729&p=200863#p200863

Wink

EDIT AP: See link in my post below for (probably the original?) version in English.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result! Thanks Jack, you are a star.

Just done the change as per the French forum, the only difference was that that guy is using XP - As I am using Windows 7, initially it wouldn't let me save the changes to the application.ini file, but I changed the properties to allow edits and it then saved ok.

When I launched TT Home, the opening screen says 2.7, but if you do an 'About Home' then it says V2.1.8.2218 - fooled it!

A couple of points:

After reinstalling TT Home 2.7 remember to uncheck the 'Run Home' dialogue box, otherwise it will launch and try to update itself, and:

I assume everytime TT Home is updated by TT to a new version, we will have to amend the application.ini file to the new version number to prevent it updating in future.

Many thanks, good result!

Dave
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather then wade through it in French, here are the original instructions from the US TomTomForums.com (with some edits/additions from me)
----------------

There's an easy 'hack' that will keep Home from updating itself. I'm back to running 2.8.0.2146.

1. Install a previous version of Home - anything prior to 2.8.1.2218 will do. I am running 2.8.0.2146, the version just prior to the "nasty" one.
(See below for links)

2. After running the *.exe to install the older version of Home, do NOT run it.

3. Navigate to: C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul

4. Using Notepad, Wordpad or another text editor, edit the file called 'application.ini' in the xul folder as follows:

In the line which reads 'Version=2.X.X.XXXX' (matching the old version you have just installed), modify the number to read '2.8.1.2218' and re-save the file.
(If you are using Windows 7, you may need to change the properties to allow edits to the .ini file).
Another user found that you can just modify the number to read 10.000, (which would obviously work for some time!) but I've not tried this myself).

Now, when your earlier version of Home runs, your edit to "2.8.1.2218" will be compared to the most recently available version, and no update to Home will be made.

5. This will continue to work until the next version of Home is released somewhere down the road. At that time, if we still find that the new version of Home being released is problematic, we can share the version number that is reported for the update, and we can modify the application.ini file again with the new version number.

6. Here are links to the previous versions of Home:
v2.8.0.2146 for the PC
v2.8.0.1019 for the Mac

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: