Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - connecting to satellite
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

connecting to satellite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: connecting to satellite Reply with quote

What is the average time to get a satellite conection on a satnav?
we have done a side by side comparison between a tomtom xxl-a friends device-and a navogon 40 premium. The tomtom takes on average less than 30 seconds,
the navigon anything from 60 to 200 seconds. I have reset and restored the navigon ,in the hope that this might improve the connection time,but to no avail.It might be that this is the best the navigon can do. I should say that in all other respects, the navigon works well.Does anyone else have the same experience?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20-30 seconds at most for a modern device with latest generation chipset. I tested a Navigon 40 Easy and it was within those timings.

Resetting could be making it worse, each time you do that it has to do a cold start and download new Ephemeris AND Alamanac, dramatically increasing time to fix.

Leave it to find a fix, switch off, wait 30secs and then switch on and time it.

Alamanac and Ephemeris data explained here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/howgpsworks.php
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: connection time Reply with quote

Many thanks for your helpful reply.
Here are the results of a side by side test with the tomtom .After 30 seconds the navigon connected in 23 seconds , the tomtom in 5 seconds. I waited two hours and tried again. This time the navigon connected in 176 seconds, the tomtom in 7 seconds. Can this quickfix be installed on the navigon, I seem to recall reading not everyone is in favour of it.That aside do you think my navigon may be faulty ?
cuthbert37
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satellite acquisition depends on many variables, so you would have to conduct a large number of tests to build up an accurate picture. My own Navigon 4350max was very quick, but has been much slower the last week.

Also, with the Navigon, acquisition is very fast when starting from standby. The same is probably true of other brands. When cold booting, a whole lot of other stuff comes into play. Tom Tom is linux based, so I would expect it to boot faster than the Windows CE based Navigon.
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, with the Navigon, acquisition is very fast when starting from standby. The same is probably true of other brands. When cold booting, a whole lot of other stuff comes into play. Tom Tom is linux based, so I would expect it to boot faster than the Windows CE based Navigon.[/quote
Thank you for your suggestion.
It has improved the performance.
On the way home the sound-voice instructions - packed up, after a number of strangulated directions. At home we tested the spoken directions on a simulted route.It is still working but where once it was loud and clear. it is now quite crackley. Do you know if anything can be done to rectify this.
cuthbert37
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no experience of a crackly GPS voice or other audio problems on the Navigon. All I could suggest is check the volume level and do a cold reboot.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scenar - satellite fix & sound problems - I'd be suspecting a faulty unit by now, I think ... Can you take it back and try an alternative 40?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would I. Sounds like a duff unit to me.
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
scenar - satellite fix & sound problems - I'd be suspecting a faulty unit by now, I think ... Can you take it back and try an alternative 40?

Many thanks for all the advice.
I did take it back, and the store was most helful, however it appears that this is now an obsolete model and will be returned to navigon for repair. Another 40 model was suggested but it does not have the tts. which for me is a must
Many thanks again for all your help.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 40 is obsolete as they are still available on the Navigon site - but I think what the shop tried to offer you was probably a 40 Easy. The 40 Plus and 40 Premium (still available, as I say) both have tts. Is the shop a chain (Halford's?) - if so, they might be able to find a proper replacement for you from one of their other branches.

If the repair goes ahead - check it carefully on return while you are still in the shop. Navigon are very good in the end, but their first-line service is pretty dire (outsourced service company). If it's still duff, you might want to get a little argumentative! Twisted Evil

Good Luck!
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: navigon 40 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
So would I. Sounds like a duff unit to me.

I thought the results of my requests might be of interest.
I asked Halfords to replace the faulty unit. They said it was obsolete. After a phone call to navigon , I returned to Halfords and informed them that navigon
had said it was very much current. In my presence, the assistant telephoned navigon to be told it was obsolete. I asked if indeed he was speaking direct to Navigon ,He said yes but in the Uk. I gave him the telphone number from the navigon web page and he said he would try that . Later he phoned to say Navigon had told him is was obsolete but he would try to find a replacement within the halfords group.. A relacement was found, and all was well.or so I thought.
I had already paid for new maps and speed cams on the old device and asked navigon to transfer them to the new device. All seemed to be okay with the maps,in the transfer ,but after several phone calls to navigon the speed cams have not been transfered. they have altered the registration to cover the new device ,but still nothing appears on screen. They say it will be referred to their
technical people and they will respond in a few days. I hope they are reliable.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: navigon 40 Reply with quote

scenar wrote:
I thought the results of my requests might be of interest.
I asked Halfords to replace the faulty unit. They said it was obsolete.

Think what you have is a Navigon 40 Essential Traffic which is probably a special for Halfords - see here:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_788917_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

Whatever the situation keep pressing Halfords for a replacement unit - and good luck.
Keep us informed on your progress.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: