Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed - Navigon 40 Easy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed - Navigon 40 Easy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reviewed - Navigon 40 Easy Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comNavigon can't be accused of sitting on their laurels. A few years ago they were barely known of in the UK despite being the No1 brand in Germany but times have changed.

New models have come out at regular intervals and each has improved markedly on the previous versions. Their iPhone Navigation App has proved a big hit with its sleek Apple'esque design and layout and they have become a well known and respected brand nipping at the heels of Garmin and TomTom.

The latest product from Navigon is a completely new range of PNDs with Navigon 20 (small), Navigon 40 (medium) and Navigon 70 (large) screen options and three feature levels, Easy, Plus and Premium.

The range gives buyers a wide range of choice and price points. We have been loaned a Navigon 40 Easy for review so let's see how it fares.

Click here to read the review...
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren - nice review! Just one point of clarification, in case I misunderstood your comments about PGPSW/User POIs. The latest range, including this model, DOES now allow user input of POIs. The manual says up to 10,000 user POIs can be stored (I have your redlight & specs on my 70), though the limit MAY actually be 1,000 on the 40 Easy, because of its smaller RAM. You can't get audio warnings for them, but they do show on the map.

The full POI-Warner, once Version 4 becomes available in the UK, will provide fuller support, but it's no longer essential for basic use.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Hi Darren - nice review! Just one point of clarification, in case I misunderstood your comments about PGPSW/User POIs. The latest range, including this model, DOES now allow user input of POIs. The manual says up to 10,000 user POIs can be stored (I have your redlight & specs on my 70), though the limit MAY actually be 1,000 on the 40 Easy, because of its smaller RAM. You can't get audio warnings for them, but they do show on the map.

Ah thanks, yes, I misunderstood the limitation - it's only the warning aspect that is missing? Normal POIs can be installed?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it's only the warning aspect that is missing? Normal POIs can be installed?

Yes to both questions. As well as PGPSW's cameras, I also have others such as the CAMRA pubs database, and motorway junctions, installed. You can select user categories to also show up in the drop down tab of 'favourite POIs' at the top of the screen that you mentioned in your review.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've updated the review.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest bunch of Navigons are nice units, and the software has evolved quite nicely over the years

My favourite thing about Navigon is they seem to innovate features (like Active Lane Guidance) - not just follow the crowd

However, what for me makes them great for ocassional long distance journeys (good routing, huge feature per £ return, cheap map updates and often option of upgrading software a year down the line) but not good for daily use of multiple journeys is their slow GPS acquisitions and slow menus

Sort that out and they are on to a winner...

I am always tempted by the new Navigons, always get one, then always switch back to my Garmin or TomTom for ease and speed
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The latest bunch of Navigons are nice units, and the software has evolved quite nicely over the years

The Navigon 40 Premium (Bluetooth, Europe maps, etc) is still available from Halfords for 99.90 GBP.

Later (9 Feb 2011) No longer available. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by C1man on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes on the mid range units, pound for feature, they cannot be beat
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the farce going on with TT 1000 and their 3rd party software i'm seriously tempted to give up on TT and look towards the Navigon PND.
Darren's review was first rate and the new Premium series looks good.
I really only look for two things on any PND - Live Services and the ability to add the pocketgspworld speed cameras, and at the moment TT is a non runner.

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Navigon 40 Premium and the Navigon 70 Premium?
Is it more maps on one unit compared to the other or a smaller screen or whatever

Thanks

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the obvious difference IS the screen size with the 70 being larger. For a more detailed look at differences have a look at the Navigon website's products page where you can do a comparison check between the two units, and also look at the facilities available yourself on each one. From your recent question elsewhere, I presume you would be comparing the Live versions.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you David for your help. Yes your right i would be looking at the live services, but mainly the traffic updates.
I'll do that comparison check on the Navigon website and see what i come back with.
Thanks again

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: