Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upload Google Maps created Routes onto IGO8 on MyGuide 4328?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upload Google Maps created Routes onto IGO8 on MyGuide 4328?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pythagoras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Upload Google Maps created Routes onto IGO8 on MyGuide 4328? Reply with quote

(I've copied this from the IGO 8 review thread after I realised how old that topic was. I hope I'm not creating problems here through ignorance!)

Hi.

I'm a newbie to this, and a luddite compared to the clever lot on here I've been reading, so please bear with me if I appear thick!

On the strength largley of info gleaned off PGPSW (IGO 8 and being able to update maps from NNG etc.) and this review (plus the attractive price), I just bought a MyGuide 4328. While not perfect, it's not at all bad either so far.

What I'd really like to do is be able to plan routes on say Google Maps for my continental Motorcycle Trip, then be able to save the Route somehow, and then copy it (after converting it to the correct file format) into the 'Routes' folder so it can be loaded from the 'Saved Routes' button.

I've found the folder on the 4328 and opened a window. I've been able to copy several pre-created routes from BestBikingRoads.com in various file formats into 'Routes' folder, but they are never recognised by the device.

So.... apart from not knowing if I CAN (or how) save/export routes on Google Maps (or Earth), it seems that even if I do, I can't get the device to use them.

I'm sure that creating route plans easily on PC is something lots of NNG IGO users would like to do instead of fiddling about on the PND/PDA (or is everyone doing this already except for us cavemen?)?

Any kind boffins out there able to enlighten me please?

Thanks!
kaybee327
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it can be done - see post 3

http://www.routeconverter.de/forum/thread-184.html

Keith

Edit Although German tis in English
Pythagoras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

Thanks so much for your reply - I kinda follow it as well, though haven't tried it yet. For clarity I've copied the details from the link you sent me below, as I have one area where I thought I'd better check...

Quote:
RE: Prepare a route for IGO8
There is a way to get Routes into the igo8.
I tested it and for me it works fine.
First you have to create the following directories in the ig8-directory on your sd-card: \iGO8\CONTENT\USERDATA\ROUTE
If you now copy .kml (e.g. Google-Earth) in Version 4 or 4.2 into the new "ROUTE" directory then the route will be imported automatically at igo8 starts. Please do not forget to check the optionbox for "saving as route, track and waypointlist", like it is done in the attachment.
The imported rout appears in light grey and it is recommended to open it and to save it as newroute. Then you can delete the imported one.

My unit software isn't on an SD card, but on the device itself. Also (from memory, as I don't have the PND with me in work), as it is a MyGuide PND, I recall it seems has a 'MYGUIDE' folder, but not an 'iGO8' folder.

Can I simply create a similar folder path to the one described onto the device in Windows Explorer, then use the process above as it is described? E.g. do I but simply create the subsitute Path: MYGUIDE\CONTENT\USERDATA\ROUTE ?

Sorry if my Q's seem obvious, but while not completely hopeless, I'm light-years away from being a whizzkid!

Regards, Graham
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a MYGUIDE\CONTENT folder? If so, then it will possibly work OK. Pitty you started two threads so similar, as the same is true for \CONTENT\SPEEDCAM etc in your other thread Confused
Pythagoras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Yes - I'm afraid the 2 similar topics are down to my ignorance! I suppose this gadget being Windows based I should have joined the dots together there and realised they'd be similar solutions!

I'm pretty certain there is a MYGUIDE\CONTENT folder on the unit (I don't connect it as it doesn't seem to like Windows 7 64-bit at all, and will crash sometimes. As stated as well, the Naviextras site for map updates Toolbox won't talk to it either).

Thanks to the kind responses though, I do at least now have the right file format and some idea of where to bung the files - much appreciated! Let's hope I have the nous to get it all to work Rolling Eyes !

Graham
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pythagoras wrote:
Let's hope I have the nous to get it all to work Rolling Eyes !
'Course you have. Let us know how you get on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: