Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Cameras Reprieved, Reconsidered, Axed and Anticipated
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Cameras Reprieved, Reconsidered, Axed and Anticipated
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Speed Cameras Reprieved, Reconsidered, Axed and Anticipated Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comThis week sees more speed cameras being put out to pasture, but we also "welcome" back many cameras into the fold after their short break.

Fixed speed cameras on the Isle of Wight have now been switched off as a result of the recent government budget cuts, but as Darren reported in this weeks newsletter (see our latest newsletter here and to receive future newsletters use the "Free Email Updates" box in the left panel), the big news of the week is Oxford's decision to switch their 72 fixed cameras back on. The u-turn follows protests from road safety groups and residents and it's believed that the cameras will be reactivated in a number of weeks.

Additionally, subsequent to Buckinghamshire County Council's announcement in August that the county's speed cameras faced cutbacks, this decision is now under review and awaiting completion of a speed monitoring check.

But This is Somerset has reported that although some cameras in their area are being mothballed, residents will soon see the mother of all cameras on their roads in the not to distant future. Following the news that Wiltshire Safety Camera Partnership has shut their camera network down and Somerset, Gloucestershire and Dorset have scaled back, west England police forces anticipate delivery of new "super speed cameras" called "ASSETs" (Advance Safety and Driver Support for Essential Road Transport) within the next two years.

The new mobile cameras will be mounted on trailers and, aside from issuing speed tickets, they can record and automatically fine...

* Drivers not wearing a seatbelt

* Vehicles driving too close to the car in front

* Vehicles with out-of-date tax discs

* Vehicles with no insurance

Of course it's just as likely that these cameras will be rolled out nationwide. But what about the budget cuts I hear you shout? Apparently, the "ASSET is being funded with over £7 million of European Commission money.

It may just pay for itself though. It won't have escaped many people's attention that this super speed camera will also do a "super" job of earning far more revenue than the present, humble cameras could only dream about. Tax by the back door has often been the argument against speed cameras - is a big-brother prosecution machine going to stop that argument?

Will the additional deterrents that aim to reduce potential accidents and prosecute several motoring offences in one go win more of the public over?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody with any government money to spare is reading this, I'll sit by the road-side with a digital camera, a lap-top and and a speed gun for £6million for the next 10 years. I'll happily travel all over the country choosing different locations too. So, save yourselves a £million and give me a call.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Somerset County Council reducing its roads budget by 72% has something to do with the introduction of these cameras there.
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ASSETT cameras sound great! Tailgaters do my nut in. Those with financial objections can rest assured that the amount of money spent on treating cancer provides about a fifth of the return on life years saved than the spend on traffic cams.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larok wrote:
The ASSETT cameras sound great! Tailgaters do my nut in. Those with financial objections can rest assured that the amount of money spent on treating cancer provides about a fifth of the return on life years saved than the spend on traffic cams.

Ahh, there's no financial objection to the cost of running speed cameras, they don't cost anything to run - they make a fortune in fines.

But what if I tailgate so close that the camera can't see my number plate though. What then? Twisted Evil
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have financial objections. I think that £7m is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on speed cameras. I'd rather have £7m worth of more police officers out on the streets doing police officer stuff including traffic duties.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Ahh, there's no financial objection to the cost of running speed cameras, they don't cost anything to run - they make a fortune in fines.
If this were the case, then surely the government would not let councils switch them off and miss this obvious trick to extract cash from the motorist? Is it not that the running costs are, for some unexplained reason, high, and now more than the grant thatncouncils receive from the government from the fines that they raise?
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I do have financial objections. I think that £7m is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on speed cameras. I'd rather have £7m worth of more police officers out on the streets doing police officer stuff including traffic duties.

ASSET is not a speed camera, it is an integrated traffic monitoring system capable of identifying a number of infringements including, in its advanced configuration, over-weight lorries and also technical problems: over-heating wheel bearings and brakes for example.

I suspect many drivers would welcome its ability to identify uninsured vehicles or overloaded trucks. To consider and dismiss it as a speed camera is wrong.

Lots more info here: http://www.project-asset.com/index1.php?lan=en
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
To consider and dismiss it as a speed camera is wrong.

So why does the press article consider it as a speed camera? Lazy journalism once again, methinks.

spook51 wrote:
Lots more info here: http://www.project-asset.com/index1.php?lan=en

Ah, so it's a "concept", not actually a fully working system yet. I would suspect that the first generation talked about will not do all the wonderful things advertised. Also, looking at the link, I see that it depends on a lot more than just a few cameras, but all sorts of other sensors, and having RFID chips on your number plate, and the ability to track your movements - that'll go down like a lead balloon.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Skippy wrote:
If this were the case, then surely the government would not let councils switch them off and miss this obvious trick to extract cash from the motorist?

The Labour government treated the motorist as a cash cow, extracting large amounts of money from them. Fuel duty and road tax increases dressed up with green-wash, speed cameras to make our roads "safer", more bus lane cameras and decriminalised parking fines to cut congestion etc.

People were getting fed up with it all and stopped believing the spin, eventually the Tory government manifesto declared an end to the war on the motorists.

M8TJT wrote:
Is it not that the running costs are, for some unexplained reason, high, and now more than the grant thatncouncils receive from the government from the fines that they raise?

Interesting theory, but my understanding is that Gatsos make a lot of money, certainly an amount far in excess of the cost of installing and running them. An added saving is the number of police taken off traffic duties to do other work.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

People were getting fed up with it all and stopped believing the spin, eventually the Tory government manifesto declared an end to the war on the motorists.

And you SERIOUSLY believe this bunch will actually change anything ??? Neutral
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Skippy wrote:

They're damned good at ignoring their manifestos and changing their policies after the election! Grrrr
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Of course I didn't believe it! I saw the politicians talking about it on the telly and their lips were moving so they were definitely telling lies. Laughing

Seriously though, the motorist has had enough and the fightback has started. Check the list so far:

Speed camera funding - withdrawn
M4 bus lane - closing
Cowboy clampers - being outlawed

However, it will be years before we know if this is just some cheap headline grabbing or if it's part of a wider move to stop the highway robbery.

And for the record, I didn't note for either of the main political parties. I support the Raving Loony party (does it show?) Joker
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
And for the record, I didn't vote for either of the main political parties. I support the Raving Loony party (does it show?) Joker

Is there any chance of them putting up a candidate for Keynsham next time? Or do I have to put myself forward? Cool

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Is there any chance of them putting up a candidate for Keynsham next time? Or do I have to put myself forward? Cool

I wouldn't have a chance against you, sir. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: