Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dorset claim poverty in fixed speedcam reduction
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dorset claim poverty in fixed speedcam reduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Dorset claim poverty in fixed speedcam reduction Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comDorset Road Safe have announced plans to reduce the number of fixed speed cameras in the county.

Citing financial considerations following the 25% reduction in funding from central government for the move, they went on to announce an increase in the number of mobile speed camera vans on the fleet from two to five.

Quite why it they consider it is more expensive to operate a fixed unattended speed camera (other than occasional maintenance and film changes) than a manned speed camera van is left unexplained.

Now the cynical amongst us may suppose that this move is about catching more motorists, something mobile cameras are very much better at.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm undecided on this... Whether it is mobile or fixed my understanding is that the government still gets the money from the fines?

If so then part of me thinks that maybe they're not in it for the money and they do genuinely want people to slow down on the roads. However, the money used to man 3 more mobile vans perhaps could be better spent on making roads safer and better designed (eg chicanes, lowered speed limits near schools, design roads to feel like the speed that they are etc etc).

They turned off the fixed cameras quoting they could not afford to keep them running. Maybe what they meant to say was "we turned them off because everyone knows they are there and slows down for them, instead we will hide in bushes with a van and a laser to catch you off-guard mwuhahahahaha"; which, at least, would have been more honest if not such a widely over-rated newspaper headline.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They turned off the fixed cameras quoting they could not afford to keep them running. Maybe what they meant to say was "we turned them off because everyone knows they are there and slows down for them, instead we will hide in bushes with a van and a laser to catch you off-guard mwuhahahahaha"

Quite.

My argument is not that they seek to make more money, but that they seek to catch more drivers.

Prosecuting increasing numbers of drivers has nothing to do with safety and education.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information needed to know the answer is the maintenance payments on the fixed cameras. Just because they don't have staff or move doesn't mean they are cheap to run. Well, they may be cheap to run, but the company that maintains them may charge a fortune. Once you know that, you can compare the costs properly.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting they are cheap to run. I am questioning whether they are cheaper to run than a fleet of safety camera vans which require manning.

We're looking at an FoI request to establish the details.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prosecuting increasing numbers of drivers has nothing to do with safety and education.

Not education maybe, but providing they site the vans appropriately ( Confused ) safety might benefit?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Not education maybe, but providing they site the vans appropriately ( Confused ) safety might benefit?

True, after all, drivers stamping on the break pedal when they round a bend and see a speedcam van is going to be a big step towards improve safety Wink
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair point, if more than a bit unnecessarily sarcastic, Darren. But I did say 'site the vans appropriately'. If people are speeding in the wrong places then it's possibly a trade off between sharp braking and continuous travel at dangerous speeds. And drivers are supposed to allow a stopping gap from the car in front after all (aren't they?), whereas pedestrians, for example, may be less prepared.

But, no different really from what happens with fixed cams, except that they are not always installed with safety in mind anyway, as is often debated on here.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
A fair point, if more than a bit unnecessarily sarcastic, Darren.

I did add a 'wink' and it wasn't meant to nastily. Bad day?

You suggest that that mobile vans are located with more thought to safety than fixed cameras? If anything I'd suggest that the only safety equation in the siting of mobiles is the safety of the van and operator and little else.

They often appear to be located where they can catch the maximum number of motorists in my experience.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I was thinking that with the financial squeeze and lack of revenue return to partnerships/councils, and the apparent increasing awareness of safety rather than (non-existent) revenue, we might see a little more commonsense from the authorities. But you may well be right. Cool
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly hope I'm not right but I'm naturally pessimistic when it comes to matters such as these. After all, the revenue has been going to Govt for some years now and I haven't detected any more common sense being deployed Sad
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should put in the possible equation that Fixed cameras are sited ti meet minimum accident statistics wereas mobiles can moved anyware and not neccesarily meet the same criteria, net result more income i.e. more profitable, perhaps the Councils know more than Joe Public on the future proceeds division?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
My argument is not that they seek to make more money, but that they seek to catch more drivers.

Surely the usual gripe on this forum is that a lot of fixed cams are set to raise revenue. This seems to be a new argument against cams. Discouraging people from speeding IS is surely something to do with safety and education, and catching them speeding is a means to an end to 'educate' them and make the roads safer by reducing the number of speeders. Confused
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/8004809/Speed-limit-signs-obscured-by-foliage-Honest-John.html

Even a hard old veteran suggests it might be easier just to pay up.

Also: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/8004798/Speed-controlled-traffic-cameras-in-Spain.html

I'm sure everyone steps over the limit from time to time, but it is the hard-nosed flouters that need the most attention.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Even a hard old veteran suggests it might be easier just to pay up.
But the circumstances were a bit specific re. the obscured 30MPH signs, and there is no legal need for 30 mph repeaters.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: