Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After running Navcore 9.058 for some months ok with my 940 I have now managed to permanently lose my access to Live Services through the SIM card (getting error 1001 etc) after probably rashly using the Clear Flash tool three times with my unit attached to my PC in the hope of restoring the ability of my 940 to properly make and receive Bluetooth calls with my Sony Ericsson V600i This used to work ok under Navcore 8.371 and under earlier v8 Navcores. Annoyingly I reckon I restored the Bluetooth functionality ok anyway by just deleting the Bluetooth phone entry on my 940 and the 940 Bluetooth entry on my mobile and setting everything up again. But I ran the Clear Flash tool as a final belt and braces. How I wish now that I had not, especially bearing in mind that the Clear Flash tool is a four year old piece of TomTom software

However after running Clear Flash my 940 absolutely refuses to connect to the TomTom servers and have access to any Live services including HD Traffic. All these services work perfectly ok through Operate My Go when the unit is attached to my PC and my expiration date for the Services is not until the summer of next year (following a long extra free period I was given by TomTom after complaints about faulty fuel services and the Google Live search GPS coordinates frequently being wrong for many destinations).

I have been doing all this while sitting at home so the last thing I'm going to try is actually driving somewhere as when I was in Dorset in October and got the same problems with a 1001 SIM card error I couldn't get Live services back at my current location whatever I did but they returned when I drove 10 miles down the road and could log on to a different Vodafone transmitter mast. I wonder if this isn't my problem here and it is just this Vodafone transmitter that is sulking and refusing to talk to my 940. More on this after I have carried out my drive with the unit and/or spoken to TomTom technical support tomorrow (Monday).

I can't believe the Live services servers have just been down for 24 hours as surely there would have been loads of other forum posts if that was the case.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

my 940 has been like yours for 1 week now, error 1001
i have done everything and it still wont connect to live services Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you put in a service call to TT customer services Waynsters?
Sounds like they need to reset your account.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
my 940 has been like yours for 1 week now, error 1001
i have done everything and it still wont connect to live services Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Did you do anything at all in terms of loading up new POIs or connecting to your PC or running Clear Flash that might have destabilised the swiss cheese like Linux code that passes for TomTom's Navcores before you stopped being able to connect to the Live Services as I did or did it just happen while you were using the unit as normal with no recent PC connecstion?

As its the weekend its just possible that their Live servers are down at the moment (they usually don't seem to deploy much effort to fix them if they go belly up outside the hours of Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm in Holland) but I would have thought that a few other people here might have complained even after allowing for the usual company driver regulars on the forum probably not being on the road for leisure during a weekend in late January.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Andy, id better do that in the morning

the 940 has been a nightmare in the last 6 months
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Have you put in a service call to TT customer services Waynsters? Sounds like they need to reset your account.

Is running Clear Flash likely to have removed something from the unit's memory that will also require the same action at the TomTom end in my case as well?
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
thanks Andy, id better do that in the morning

the 940 has been a nightmare in the last 6 months

Some here claim you are better off with rolling back to Navcore 8.371 for greater stability but my own memory of 8.371 was regular reboots in the middle of journeys for no explicable reason as well as a frozen navigation display while voice directions continued. All of those evils do seem to have been eliminated by Navcore 9.058 but at the expense of an even less reliable and/or less frequent data connection to the Live services.

As that GPRS data connection and the inadequacies of TomTom's servers seems to be at the heart of most of the unreliability and instability problems with the x40 and x50 series one has suspicions that TomTom's horrible fudged "solution" was just to roll out Navcores that connected to the TomTom servers far less often (or even not at all in some cases!). No doubt their cynical beancounters didn't think that the customers would mind about this as surely they should have realised that their products are only toys for domestic customers and are not regarded by the TomTom board as being serious robust navigation devices. Twisted Evil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Have you put in a service call to TT customer services Waynsters? Sounds like they need to reset your account.

Is running Clear Flash likely to have removed something from the unit's memory that will also require the same action at the TomTom end in my case as well?

Not that I know of, I'm afraid...

To check, I just took my Go950, checked I was logged in and that the Live Services were all working, then I connected to the PC and ran ClearFlash three times.

After that I disconnected and my login details were still in place and Live Services are still working fine.

So I reckon it has to be a problem with your account at TT's end or a problem with your SIM card. It does happen...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD Traffic and LIVE Services been working all day here....
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Some here claim you are better off with rolling back to Navcore 8.371 for greater stability......

Wacky Races - I'm one of those who does, and also have confirmation from TT Support that there are problems with V9.054/9.058. Also others have received advice from TTS to perform the roll back to V8.371, so there is no doubt in my mind, despite the shortcomings you mention.

I had the 1001 error after frequent drop outs, and this was due to my SIM eventually being locked up by V9.058 after frequent Live Service drop outs - it then resolutely refused to work. There is a simple way to check its dead - look under 'Route Summary', tap your version number and then the 'Network' tab - this will show your connection status - when mine was dead it showed, no IMEI or other information, no signal and said 'Not Connected'. If this is the case with yours then I would offer that your SIM is locked up rather than any problem with the server end.

I unlocked mine by completely flattening the battery (see earlier posts), which restored its operation. Since rolling back to 8.371, at least my Live services have been reliable, and yes I get the odd reboot mid journey, but I consider this much better than the painful aquisition of GPS and the complete and unpredictable loss of Live services under 9.058, particularly when on route to the M25!

Last edited by RavyGravyDavy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
So I reckon it has to be a problem with your account at TT's end or a problem with your SIM card. It does happen...

I very much doubt there is anything physically wrong with my SIM card that is still warmly embedded in its little womb inside the unit. In all these years of using GSM SIM cards in mobile phones and swapping them around when abroad etc I have never had one fail on me yet.

More likely is that the cludge in Navcore 9.058 to make the SIM card vaguely compatible with UK operation has run in to some revised data setting caused by the use of Clear Flash that it can't cope with.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked my 940 too...Live Services working fine for me at the moment..in fact so few incidents I think I might go for a drive ;-)
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
I unlocked mine by completely flattening the battery (see earlier posts), which restored its operation.

Is it best to flatten the battery with a Route to somewhere still set on the unit (which also as we know runs down the battery much faster in Navcore 9.058 when it is turned off than if you run Clear Route before you turn it off) or with no route set.

Also what is the best procedure after flattening the battery to reset the SIM card? Once you have flattened the battery so it won't turn on at all and perhaps have left it like that for another one or two days (to definitely drain it as much as possible) do you then turn it on again connected to the car charger (where it will be getting full 5V current and so will turn on straight away from flat) or do you turn it on after only giving it a partial charge on a USB computer docking station cable connection? I have tried draining it and then reconnecting it after charging for a few minutes with my PC USB docking station but that doesn't seem to work in terms of resetting the SIM card.

I suspect that connecting from flat to the car charger at a location with a different mobile phone mast from the one at which the problems first occurred may be the most likely way to reset the unit so the SIM card talks to the TomTom servers once more? As you suggested was likely I also get Not Connected and no SIM ID or IMEI being shown from the Network button accessed via Status & Information and then Version Information. So this suggests the problem is of the severe kind that you also encountered.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

I very much doubt there is anything physically wrong with my SIM card that is still warmly embedded in its little womb inside the unit.

Ah well, that won't be why I had to send my SIM card back for replacement then.....
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking back (it was a while ago), I set in a route, but disconnected the power supply. I did a two hour (ish) journey, and just let it run. When it eventually turned off, I turned it back on, it ran for a bit, then shut down again, then I kept doing this until it wouldnt turn on any more.

I arrived at about 10 (which was about 90 miles from home, so yes, a different location) and left the unit in the car until about 5 when I set off for home, so I guess it would have been left for about 7 hours.

I recall when I git back in the car, I just plugged the power supply back in and hey presto, it worked as normal. ( I think I had already rolled back to V8 before doing this).

Sorry I cant be more precise, but it was a while ago, and I wish I could be more scientific, as it is a bit hit and miss, but it definitely sorted mine out and it has worked fine ever since.

I know with the V9 the Live Service drop outs are caused by loss of signal - unlike with V8 where you get the temporary 'No Traffic Service is being received' message which restores once you get signal - on V9 it just seems to lose the services for an undefined time, and doesnt coem back when you ar eback in good signal.

I beleive that after a while it gets just too much for the SIM and it locks up, in some kind of loop I would guess, which only seems to be resettable by the removal of power - which for us can only be done by flattening the battery completely.

I hope this works for you, good luck.....

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 17 of 21

Jump to: