Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I've got a free map update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I've got a free map update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: I've got a free map update Reply with quote

Not sure how as my subscription to map update service run out about 6 months ago but I logged on to TT home and it said I had a new map waiting for me.

Downloaded it expecting it to fail but it works fine!!!

W&CE V845.2645

Cheers TT

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
SammyM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here!
Did not renew account around 6 months ago, but today TT Home said I had a new map to download.

Successfully downloaded "Western Europe_ 1GB v 845.2666.

Regards.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And me Smile

I didn't renew my subscription either and don't use Home that often but seeing this thread thought I would try

Update my device offered and installed UK & ROI v845.2645. Previous version was v835.2419

Free maps and navigation on both my 520 and Nokia N97 (with ovi maps) now
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip, me too. maybe we should keep this quiet and it'll last forever :-)
Holux GPSslim
boothby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have got the same "freebie".When I logged in to TomTom home I had UK & IE & major roads of WE included as well as Map Share corrections etc.

When I try to switch to this map I'm asked to get an activation code from ttcode.com by submitting my device code. When I do I'm not able to activate as my device code is supposed to be invalid.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot really annoy me! I have connected and tried update with my GO520, my XLLive IQ Routes and my GO700 and not one of them offers me a free map, so I'm not going to bother even trying with my HTC Advantage with TTNav 6. Mind you, I already have the latest map on the first two. But you'd think they'd at least offer me something - I'm more handsome and intelligent than all of you.

boothby I wonder if you are logged in with the account email address from a previous TT device which would have required an activation code?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
boothby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You lot really annoy me! I have connected and tried update with my GO520, my XLLive IQ Routes and my GO700 and not one of them offers me a free map, so I'm not going to bother even trying with my HTC Advantage with TTNav 6. Mind you, I already have the latest map on the first two. But you'd think they'd at least offer me something - I'm more handsome and intelligent than all of you.

boothby I wonder if you are logged in with the account email address from a previous TT device which would have required an activation code?

You could well be right. I'm using the TomTom Home account as set up for my previous TT. May be that explains why, when I first updated this one, I didn't need to register it or whatever. Will try setting up another account with this & see what happens.

Thanks for the pointer.
boothby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that didn't work. I created a new account & didn't get the opportunity to register my device to it, as before when I first bought it. Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to be setting up another account, I presume when you registered first time you told it the new device details? That'll take over the old account. It makes available to the new device any services which were in effect for the old device (Traffic, GPRS cameras, etc)

I think you're getting an old(er) map which was presumably bought/downloaded for your previous device. That's because your previous account is now taken over by your new device, but because you bought and paid for the previous map, it's still on your PC for you. I have known that sort of thing actually work to transfer maps from PC to a replacement device (it happened for me when I bought TTNav6 - got the existing Western & Central Europe from my PC onto it). But it does (I think) rely on the "new" device being compatible with the map, which means it has to have an activatable device ID and the more recent devices are not compatible with that system. You might like to try asking TomTom to somehow make that old map work with your new device - you paid for it, you want it on your new device. But I guess it'll be an out of date map though, so maybe you don't want to use it anyway.

Have another look at the update in Home - I'm expecting it to show up as on your computer (not for downloading). Then look at the word "More" to see what it tells you about the map, namely the map version.

boothby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You don't want to be setting up another account, I presume when you registered first time you told it the new device details? That'll take over the old account. It makes available to the new device any services which were in effect for the old device (Traffic, GPRS cameras, etc)

When you say "registered first time" if you mean the current device, then I haven't registered it, either under my old account or under the one I've just created. In both cases for the new device I was never given the opportunity to register it.

There were, as far as I remember, no services left for the old one, which had been my son's until he had to sell his car & was strapped for cash.

The map currently active is UK & IE, v830.2305.
The device data shows App 9.026.483454,103 OS 1000 (1010 1/3/2004). This 2004 date would be about right for the old TT.

If this is the old one that it's seeing then the question is how do I get it to see the new one if I'm not able to get it registered?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this is a case of I know what my words mean because they are sort of familiar to me.

By "registered" I mean in TomTom Home - you need Home in order to get a new map and you said you've obtained a new map but can't activate it. It's TT Home which enables you to get a new map and to do so requires you to "register an email address linked to the TT device which you have connected to TT Home".

"Registered" is in TT Home you define the device you've got and the email address for it. It's not that you go to TomTom and say please register my TomTom (like I registered my iPhone with Apple, or my Photoshop with Adobe), although you may need to do precisely that on the TT website if you want to receive emails from them.

So you must have "registered" the new device if you've got yourself what appears to be a new (at least different) map. You connect the device to the computer, switch on and start TT Home and it asks for your email address (the email address associated with your TT device). If you entered an email address "registered" for your previous device, it will have asked if you want to change the device for that email address - you say YES and it "registers" your new device against that email address. The new device takes over the old account and anything belonging to it under TT Home.

The map v830.2305 is not the most up to date, although not far off. The latest is v845.xxxx.

Try simply Change Preferences, Manage Maps, Switch Maps and see if you have two there.

boothby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Sorry, this is a case of I know what my words mean because they are sort of familiar to me.

By "registered" I mean in TomTom Home - you need Home in order to get a new map and you said you've obtained a new map but can't activate it. It's TT Home which enables you to get a new map and to do so requires you to "register an email address linked to the TT device which you have connected to TT Home".

"Registered" is in TT Home you define the device you've got and the email address for it. It's not that you go to TomTom and say please register my TomTom (like I registered my iPhone with Apple, or my Photoshop with Adobe), although you may need to do precisely that on the TT website if you want to receive emails from them.

So you must have "registered" the new device if you've got yourself what appears to be a new (at least different) map. You connect the device to the computer, switch on and start TT Home and it asks for your email address (the email address associated with your TT device). If you entered an email address "registered" for your previous device, it will have asked if you want to change the device for that email address - you say YES and it "registers" your new device against that email address. The new device takes over the old account and anything belonging to it under TT Home.

The map v830.2305 is not the most up to date, although not far off. The latest is v845.xxxx.

Try simply Change Preferences, Manage Maps, Switch Maps and see if you have two there.

Yes, there are 2 showing up on the TT:
1. UK and IE major roads of WE
2. United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland - this is the one currently in use.

When I try to switch to no. 1 I get:
"This product has not been activated yet" & Continue.

When I "continue" I get:
"Your device code is AKVGY BJE5W"
"Please visit www.ttcode.com to get an activation code for this device.
When I input the code (as above) into ttcode.com I am told that it is not correct. So am I inputting the wrong code, or is it expecting a code from the old TomTom?

Just to add a bit more to the brew, when I log in on an old account, I get a whole selection of maps available for download (at a price),
Also listed as being on the device are maps for:
UK & ROI, ver 8305.2305.2305 ((246.5 mb) - currently in use on the TT
and
Great Britain & Republic Of Ireland, ver 675.1409 (171.4mb) - If this number is anything to go by, could it be an old one from the old TT?

There is no mention of the un-activated UK & IE & major road WE which I downloaded to day.

My head is now spinning - a glass of malt & a smoke & it's bedtime.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest guys i wouldn't sweat about it. Having been gifted the map it simply confirms why I cancelled my subscription. The roundabout and new road outside my office window right now which have been there for at least 18 months still doesn't appear so it's business as usual I'm sure. Save yerself the grief of all the knock on issues.
Holux GPSslim
boothby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit that I'm not desperately bothered about it. It's more a case of "If I'm able to get an up to date map free I might as well have it"Wink, as the TT as it is serves my needs adequately, for now. However, I'm rather intrigued to know what the score is with my TT & this update.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map v675.1409 is April 2007. I expect that's the old one it's asking you to activate, as I think it's since then that TT did away with that activation system.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: