Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Managment Device Advice requested
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Managment Device Advice requested

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Speed Managment Device Advice requested Reply with quote

I am trying to find a “Speed Management” GPS ie one that knows the speed limit in its current location and can warn of over speed. I don’t just want to know where the safety cameras are. Can anyone recommend a GPS system that can warn me that I am speeding and not just warn of camera location?

Thanks in anticipation.... Mark
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom has this facility, Garmin too I believe, not sure about the others. My TT beeps at me when I go about 5kmh above the speed limit after a few seconds. Not all roads are listed and not all listings are accurate. I can correct the road speed errors manually if it bothers me that much.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but you won't find anything thats accurate compared to looking at the road signs displaying the speed limit as you drive down a road, from what I have seen from various devices/ software vendors with respect to the speed limit displayed its rather hit and miss - Mike
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many satnavs can display both your actual speed and the recorded road speed limit (subject to data accuracy of course) - Navigon for one. But are you wanting an actual (eg audible) alarm?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iGO8 can be programmed to give overspeed alerts, both visual and audible, both as a MPH over the speed limit, or as a percentage of the limit. Having said that, it can only be as accurate as the map data, which is generally a bit on the suspect side and certainly should not be relied on, as mentioned by other posters above
Mark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the responses… What I’m trying to get to is an Audio alert when I am exceeding the speed limit of the location of the vehicle. I have TomTom on an HP Palmtop and I have used the camera POI system BUT…. I would prefer to be the good citizen and be within the limit at all other locations. I have a speedo but sometimes I miss the signs so no real help having another speed readout ……ideally a small electric shock might do the job but felt that a warning tone \ voice might be more readily available;-)
Is it the case that accurate speed zone maps are not yet available?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Is it the case that accurate speed zone maps are not yet available?
Yes, that's basically the case. Many manufacturers offer this option but it's the data itself that is lacking. I would expect a lot of people who have this option would not recommend it as your primary speed limit warning - just stick to the signs.

Mark wrote:
ideally a small electric shock might do the job
Don't joke - someone may think you're serious. Laughing
Brodit ProClip mount
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, All of the replies above refer to the road speeds tagged to the particular road you are on embedded into the map data from your SatNav provider and not to the camera POIs available from here. The road speeds embedded in my TomTom maps are reasonably accurate, but I do not risk my Driving Licence on them as some roads are wrong, some are plain silly and some are missing all together. I guess that the data embedded into maps from other suppliers maps shall be of equal (dubious) quality. I am not aware of any map provider with 100% coverage and 100% accuracy.

As I mentioned above, some TT's do offer the choice of either living with the speed errror/ommission or correcting it.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said the Navigons also provide an audible alert option for overspeed. I agree though that you should probably not rely on any satnav as your primary source - that's what the road signs are for Twisted Evil ! The times that I do find it useful (with care) is when I have missed a speed-zone entry sign (usually where they are 'strategically' placed in a forest of other signs as you enter a roundabout and have other matters, like traffic avoidance, on your mind); or where I forget the limit on a long stretch which has repeater signs missing, especially where the limit changes frequently over a distance.

Also, I actually find the satnav's speedo display quite useful in extended road works. As has been pointed out elsewhere, this is a more accurate figure than the car's speedo, which reads deliberately low. Thus where the average speed specs say '50mph', nearly all the traffic is actually doing about 45-47, so where the stretch is some miles long and the outside lane is fairly clear, I actually make quite some progress by doing a genuinely legal 50 (but again with care Cool ).

So the answer to your original question is that pretty well all makes will do what you say you want within the limits of their data accuracy. Let the Driver Beware!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom will do this if your particular model supports it (I have no idea of the feature set of TomTom on an HP Palmtop).

Try...

Change Preferences
Status Bar Preferences
Show Speed
Show Max Speed next to Speed

Then Change Preferences
Safety Preferences
Warn when driving faster than allowed.

Then, where the road speed limit is known by the TomTom map, it will show two speeds at the bottom of your screen. e.g. 50/70, where 50 is your current speed and 70 is the current speed limit according to the map. If you exceed the current speed limit by 3 or 4, it will beep at you and the speed display will change colour. The display colour will remain changed for as long as you exceed the limit, but it will NOT repeatedly beep at you. If it shows only one speed, it has no idea what the current speed limit is, so it won't warn you of anything.

All the above depends on your particular version of tomTom having this feature and very most of all the speed must be accurately known by the map. The accuracy (on mine) is very, very patchy.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any help you dont need to see all the signs.

If there are street lights, it is 30mph unless there are small repeater signs at regular intervals.

If there are no street lights, it is national limits unless there are small repeater signs at regular intervals.

All quite simple however near me we have a section of road which is national limit but has street lights. The road from Bridgeyate to Siston in South Glos.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: