Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rising Solar Activity will disrupt GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rising Solar Activity will disrupt GPS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Rising Solar Activity will disrupt GPS Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSource: BBS Science & Technology.

The BBC have a worrying, albeit interesting, news item concerning the an increase in solar activity.

Researchers have warned that as the Sun awakens from a period of inactivity a likely side-affect will be wide spread disruption of GPS signals.

The exact effects are not fully known as the last time the Sun exhibited a rise in activity predated the widespread use of GPS.

Solar flares occur frequently and spread radiation across a wide range of the electromagnetic spectrum. Satellites are designed to cope with this radiation but the forecast rise in activity is believed likely to result in radiation levels well above planned for levels.

Whilst it is not just GPS that may be affected, the weak signals used by the GPS networks are believed more likely to be affected than others.

The affects may manifest themselves in unreliable positioning or a complete failure to acquire a satellite lock. The peak activity is not expected for a couple of years.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Dooms Day IMO but I did like this statment from the BBC.

BBC wrote:
Sat-nav receivers will be blinded for tens of minutes, probably a few times a year at the solar maximum.

Best stave off buying that new satnav for the next six years! Wink

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Tomtom will use this as an excuse the next time their Live traffic stops working. Very Happy Very Happy
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to register a new domain name pocketMAPBOOKworld.com with up to the minute reveiws on the latest Brodit AA Atlas mount! and news of drivers claiming to be led astray by their AtoZ! Very Happy

Last edited by mostdom on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Time to register a new domain name pocketmapbookworld.com with up to the minute reveiws on the latest Brodit AA Atlas mount! and news of drivers claiming to be led astray by their AtoZ! Very Happy

It's OK, we've got iPhone's. They're often 10m or more out so we'll never know the difference Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Researchers have warned that as the Sun awakens from a period of inactivity...

sounds like something from the dark ages. surely everyone knows that the sun is ALWAYS turned on and when it's darker in winter it's not owing to the sun being inactive, it just seems like it cos the earth is at a different angle Wink

MaFt
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
sounds like something from the dark ages. surely everyone knows that the sun is ALWAYS turned on and when it's darker in winter it's not owing to the sun being inactive, it just seems like it cos the earth is at a different angle Wink

Are you trying to tell us that the earth isn't FLAT!

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on that note, fun 5mins over and back on topic eh? Stop it!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely though fluctuations in space/physics stuff (sorry, i did biology and chemistry so most of this is beyond me) are 'common' or rather 'expected' things and as such those intelligent people in the GPS satellite factory will have factored this in when the system was designed? i.e. flick a switch and the signal strength gets increased by X millibars (or whatever unit they use!)

MaFt
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

My fault! It's just too good a subject not to pick holes in! The scepticism in me thinks this is all a bit OTT, but you know how the media works, take a story and sesationalise it!

On the otherhand if it is to happen it will turn the gps market on it's head and provide a market for other navigation technology, if that is not affected too!

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
surely though fluctuations in space/physics stuff (sorry, i did biology and chemistry so most of this is beyond me) are 'common' or rather 'expected' things and as such those intelligent people in the GPS satellite factory will have factored this in when the system was designed? i.e. flick a switch and the signal strength gets increased by X millibars (or whatever unit they use!)

I was thinking more along the lines that you often get a fix from at least 6-8 satalites at a time, and therefore a whole swathe of them would have to be affected to reduce the quality of the fix.

It is also known we get high outputs from the sun all the time and the significance here is prolonged activity.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

If only. Whilst the solar activity cycles are known, as I understand it we are entering a period of much more intense activity than is otherwise normal. The civilian GPS use is a mere side channel. If there are issues then DoD will work to ensure military users are not affected but civilian users can go whistle. They access the system at DOD's pleasure after all and for free!

Will it cause an issue? Possibly, but it may well be short duration interruptions, across limited areas.

Where an SV is affected by solar activity, that activity is likely to affect every SV in view of the Sun at that time which could be more than 50% given their high elevations. I'd suspect that alone will mean acquiring a signal from multiple SV's will not immunise us from the issue?

I'm not a scientist but these guys are and they're article makes interesting reading and was published in 2006 so it can hardly be claimed to have come out of the blue!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Dammitall Darren, I've only just found this! Spare a thought for those of us who are slower to read the latest topics. Could we have another 5 mins at 6pm today please?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you can, I'll ensure there is a place for you in the Off Topic forums ready and waiting Wink
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont suppose this story has anything to do with today's scrubbed launch of the Atlas 5 rocket carrying the Solar Dynamics Observatory, a NASA spacecraft that will stare directly at the Sun continuously for the next decade to observe the star's behavior and how it influences life on Earth.

Strangely the NASA scientists on the project proposed all sorts of doom and gloom scenarios that they can monitor and warn about. Sounds to me like a way to justify the billions of dollars invested in the spacecraft. Nothing like a good scare story to get people's attention (and public funding).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: