Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Brodit TomTom iPhone car kit adapter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Brodit TomTom iPhone car kit adapter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Brodit TomTom iPhone car kit adapter Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comBrodit have released a mount adapter for TomTom's iPhone car kit cradle, #533091.

Although this has been mentioned in passing in the forums I thought it worthy of a special mention having had the opportunity to test the TomTom car kit over the last week.

Good as TomToms cradle solution is, I have a dislike of windscreen mounted solutions and in my current car, the windscreen is so steeply raked that they are impractical.

Brodit's solution is simple and replaces the ball mounted windscreen suction mount with a plate that allows it to be affixed to a Brodit ProClip or indeed any other flat surface rather than the windscreen.

Installation is similarly straightforward. Two screws are all that secure the existing ball mount. Remove these, swap the suction mount for Brodit's and replace the screws.

Brodit's solution retains all the adjustablity of the original design and allows you to mount the cradle securely.

This doesn't help with the already expensive cost of the TomTom car kit but if you have already invested in the cradle and are looking for a solution that allows it to be mounted securely someplace other than the windscreen then here is the answer.

Last edited by Darren on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this been released a couple of weeks earlier I wouldn't have resorted to getting the Dremel out and converting a Garmin Nuvi Brodit ball to do the same job!

I also don't like screen mounts and don't like cables all over the car (well not the current car, the last one was a mess of wires all over the place).

The brodit option which can offer a secure attachment for pratically any device to most cars is a sound investment, with only two small screws to release its easy to addapt the TomTom car kit to the Brodit Ball, just make sure you get the small spring back in the housing correctly otherwise the car kit mount will spin too freely on the ball - Mike
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got a link to this adaptor have had a look on DSL but can't find the adaptor? I have converted a Garmin ball type but I want another one for my other car?
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Part No: #533091

If you enter 533091 as the search term it will come up. I'll amend the post with the part number as well.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Darren much appreciated
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using this for a couple of weeks now. It does the job perfectly. I found that mounting the ball on the right hand side rather than the top gave much more scope for adjustment, letting me get the perfect angle for the iPhone.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little spring is a real fiddle to keep in place when you re-attach the parts Grrrrr!

Not the most secure and long lasting design I've ever seen to secure the rotating part of the mount. I can see that getting looser and looser over time.

Not Brodit's fault of course.

Does it really just sit in the slot? There are notches in that area that look like they were meant to secure it somehow but when I disassembled mine it was just sat there and took a real fiddle to get back together and actually working.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren that tiny little spring just slots in it is a pain to get correct so you don't jam the ends of the spring as you put the cap back on and tighten the screws
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a tiny bit of tin foil (baking foil) crushed up to add pressure to the spring and the friction it exerts on the rotation ring is far better, mine was swinging around in the car when cornering (at speed) - it doesn't do this after I added the silver foil - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Put a tiny bit of tin foil (baking foil) crushed up to add pressure to the spring and the friction it exerts on the rotation ring is far better, mine was swinging around in the car when cornering (at speed) - it doesn't do this after I added the silver foil - Mike

Where does the tin foil go? Under the spring in the void where it contacts the mount ring or someplace else?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrap it around the two ends of the spring to increase the pressure the spring exerts on the rotation ring, alternate is to add a blob of solder to each end of the spring to increase the thickness where the cap presses down on it - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received the Brodit adapter but need to finish the review of the standard cradle first.

I'll grab the photos I need and get it posted tomorrow. Then I can disassemble and fit the Brodit part and will experiment with your suggestions to get it nice and tight.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've got the TomTom iPhone Car Kit review out of the way I'll try the Brodit Mount and the fix Mike has suggested.

I'm still unclear about how wrapping the ends or putting blobs of solder on them can put more pressure on the central 'nub'? It is the middle bit that puts pressure on the rotation ring isn't it?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By padding out the ends of the spring it makes it exert more pressure on the rotation ring which increases friction making it less prone to moving of its own accord when cornering - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: